[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /gee/, I'm trying to configure this old ass router,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: why.png (76 KB, 892x817) Image search: [Google]
why.png
76 KB, 892x817
Hey /gee/, I'm trying to configure this old ass router, but it says it's not connected to the internet, even though the internet works just fine if I plug the same ethernet cable in my computer.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong? My knowledge of networks is limited to plugging ethernet cables in and expecting shit to work on its own.
This is what the internet setup page looks like, and I can't really seem to do anything, besides selecting dhcp and hitting enter. But that just restarts the router, gives me a "successfully configured" message, and it's still not connected.
>>
Contact your internet service provider.
>>
File: accuracy.jpg (45 KB, 526x960) Image search: [Google]
accuracy.jpg
45 KB, 526x960
>the internet works just fine if I plug the same ethernet cable in my computer

What are you doing? Take a photo of your setup. It sounds like you're trying to plug an existing and working LAN connection into this DLink modem?

Are you trying to setup a wifi access point?
>>
>>54649397
Connect computer to router, router to modem, modem to whatever it needs to be connected to. Gonna need some more info about your setup if you want help.
>>
You dont have a DNS address. Use 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.
>>
File: DSC_0244.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0244.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>54649500
>>54649502
I have a coaxial cable connected to a modem, and I have an ethernet cable connecting the modem to my computer. I never had to set anything up I just plugged it in and it worked.
What I'm trying to do is connect this wireless router to the modem, and then connect my computer to that with a separate ethernet cable, and also use the router to access the internet from my phone through wifi.
This is the configuration that gives me this d-link setup page. The router already gives off a wifi signal, but it says it's not connected to the internet.

Here's a pic, although I don't think it would be very helpful
>>
>>54649521
This is not the issue, I've tried 8.8.8.8 already, and 0.0.0.0 should work anyway.

I also tried selecting static ip, (although I have no idea why I'd have a static ip) and just pasting all the addresses from ipconfig, but it says "wan subnet conflicts lan subnet".
Sorry for being retarded, but I have no idea what this means or how to solve it
>>
>>54649627
Broadband internet does not have a modem. There is no modulation in digital signals. You have a receiver.
That might be of more help when you search for more information.
>>
>>54649627
The modem detected that the MAC address it was talking to disappeared. Reboot it.
>>
Had a similar issue, no Internet detected from modem to router, but skipping the router and straight from modem to computer had Internet access. I had to fuck around with the mac addresses and I got it sorted. Fucks me exactly what I did again, think I copied the computers mac address or something.
>>
It must be running Internet 1.0. Download the latest firmware update from softpedia.
>>
File: wat.png (1 MB, 1020x723) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
1 MB, 1020x723
>>54649627
OK bro. I know what you're trying to do.

Factory reset the DLink router. Then plug the white cable into the WAN port at the back of the dlink. Then try joining your phone to the dlink wifi network (don't make a password for it yet)
>>
File: DSC_0245.jpg (300 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0245.jpg
300 KB, 1920x1080
>>54649890
This is the back of the router. I plugged the white cable in the highlighted socket, since I figured it was highlighted for that reason. I also reset the router a few times by holding down the reset button for like 30 seconds.
My phone just takes me to the same setup page after connecting.
>>54649775
I tried that, but it didn't change anything
>>54649744
I did that, I also tried all combinations of booting one first, then connecting it to the other and booting that, but nothing has worked so far
>>
>>54650117
Try resetting the modem again and connecting the white cable to a LAN port.
You shouldn't have to do anything more advanced than that. Those internet connection types on Internet Setup page are for ADSL internet.

You're not trying to do that. You simply want to make this DLink router act as a switch/wifi access point.

What model of DLink is it?
>>
>>54650176
Holy shit this works for some reason. I would have never figured this out by myself, thanks man.
It's a dir-605l, but I guess it doesn't matter now.
It seems to be bottlenecking my internet speed though, it's normally 120 mbps, but now it's down to 80, even though I'm using a cat5e cable to connect it to my pc.
>>
>>54650571
>>54650176
which is weird, because it's supposed to support up to 300 mbps
>>
>>54650176
alright nevermind it only works for like 5 minutes then it always disconnects from the internet and takes me to the router set up page again
I give up. All I wanted to do is get wifi in my room, and move my pc under my desk, but I guess it'll stay in the middle of the room now. The fucking cable is like 30 cm too short.
>>
>>54649397
Did you try a hard reboot? Because any it person will ask you that first....if that doesn't work...is it updated? Those d-link routers have updatable firmwares and it might need updated....also not trying to be shitty but why does it matter if the Internet works just fine?
>>
>>54650785
50 foot long cat 6 ethernet cables are $13 on amazon without the shipping and wired is ALWAYS better
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.