[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stacking External Drives Continued
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
Last thread some wiseguy told me to get a RAID server. What the heck is that and why's it better than having 3 good ol' external hard drives and stackin' 'em in my cupboard? Fuggin guy

Also some faget mod deleted the thread

I just wanna know if it is o.k. to stack my external hard drives @ nite, got damm
>>
File: raid.jpg (47 KB, 1092x577) Image search: [Google]
raid.jpg
47 KB, 1092x577
>>54639268
There you go.
>>
>>54639297
Wrong in so many ways...
>>
>>54639297
RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Disks

RAID must be done with the same drives but RAID 1, 5 and 6 can handle a drive failures without losing data so it's much safer than just copying your files to an external disk.
>>
>>54639840
SOO UHH why is this so cryptic and shady
is it just like a cozy cabinet u can keep terabytes of data in
and u just POP it in USB?
or is this all inside-a computer?
>>
>>54639268

RAID isn't a backup solution. RAID only provides high-availability.

Even if you have RAID, you still need a backup solution, like putting some external drives in your cupboard.

The reason RAID isn't a backup solution is because if you accidentally delete a file, it will instantly get deleted on all the RAID drives. With a backup solution, you'd be able to recover from an accidental deletion.

If you can afford an hour of downtime, then you don't need RAID. Just keep a backup external HDD, plus a replacement internal drive that you can quickly stick in when your main drive goes bad. For extra recovery speed, backup the whole disk image (for example: dd if=/dev/sda of=disk.img) -- that way you won't have to reinstall the OS.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 400x536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 400x536
>>54639959
just nevermind. external drive in a cupboard is way to go. make it 2 drives and you are golden
>>
>>54639268
>I just wanna know if it is o.k. to stack my external hard drives

I'd recommend at least 5mm of space between stacked drives that are powered on.

I don't think the feet on those drives are tall enough to allow stacking them while they're on. At least stick a couple of pencils or something between them.
>>
>>54640095
I meant when off actually but thank u
>>54640016
H'haaaaa ahaha u funney
>>54639973
G-gotcha, i think. Thank uuu!
>>
>>54640525
>>54639973
This pretty much. RAID can protect you from drive failure and that's it. That being said I wouldn't keep my files only on an external drive but that's up to you.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.