[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Illumos>BSD>AIX>HPUX>Solaris>OSX>Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Why aren't you using the god of unix systems, SmartOS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6XQUciI-Sc
>>
>>54623724
is this the new desktop thread
>>
>>54623724
Illumos - pretty good but not fully POSIX
BSD - not fully POSIX
AIX - LOL sysV on the desktop is ded.
HPUX - lol sysV on the desktop
Solaris - only if you have a need for oracle
OS X - Can actually buy it for the desktop it's why you see so much of it in tech shops.

Linux - Was shit it in the 90's and still shit.
>>
>>54623888
Illumos has LXbrands that make linux binaries basically first class on smartOS. Also containers seem to make the hot fill
>>
>>54623985
>linux binaries
All the commercial shit for Linux is also on Mac.
>>
>>54623888
>muh shitty filesystem and pretty UI
>>
>>54624077
>pretty UI
I never rice anyway.
>shitty fs
Idiots who don't know the difference between hardware/software failures.
I don't know many that run ZFS on desktops.
Also butterfinger FS? lmao!
Shit drops your data like it has butterfingers.
>>
>>54623724
All those illumos/OpenSolaris projects are basically dead. Oracle made sure of that when they took their toys and went home, and there just aren't enough OpenSolaris users to support any real development. Sure they update some drivers, and release some security and bug fixes, but that is about it. All the projects are basically on life support.

Now that ZFS on linux is fairly stable, I doubt very many people will be doing new installs of OpenSolaris so the end is nigh
>>
>>54624128
ZFS is basically for setting up big shared storage. It is overkill on the desktop unless you are really paranoid about data integrity.
>>
>>54624157
>Now that ZFS on linux is fairly stable
hah No. CoreOS had to revert back to ext4. and they still don't recommend ZFS on Linux.
>>
Please God remove Linux and put Minix on its level of development and popularity amen.
>>
>>54623888
>lol sysV on the desktop
AIX, HP-UX, Solaris and other SysV systems were never intended for use on your shitpad YouTube crawler. They're for workstations.

>>54624157
>Now that ZFS on linux is fairly stable, I doubt very many people will be doing new installs of OpenSolaris so the end is nigh
ZFS on Linux is still a shitty hack, BSD or actual Solaris are really the only options if you actually want to use it for anything but showing off to your hipster friends in /hsg/
>>
>>54625844
>They're for workstations.
That do not exist anymore and thus dead.

No new SysV system is in a workstation form factor.
>>
>>54623724
I use SmartOS, but only as a test platform for a business idea I have. OSX because it's the only desktop is with Dtrace. But back to SmartOS:

Dtrace, allows you to dynamically instrument kernel text to re-vector control of the system so you can instrument the OS arbitrarily. Because Linux is ravaged with "not invented here syndrome", Dtrace will never be on Linux. In fact it's been ported to every other system BUT linux. Bon a petit with your system tap

Zones: the logical ternary of BSD jails, which basically invented docker. Trouble was marketing and now docker is at least leading the charge for containerization. Zones has been doing this for much longer and is actually good at it. Security wasn't an afterthought like it is with docker. Furthermore you've got software virtualization in zones that you're simply not going to get anywhere else.

As for ZFS being regulated for the paranoid, do yourself a favor and look up bitrot. Base line - if you give a shit about your data at all, you want to be running zfs. Because of torvalds faggotry wars with licensing, you're never going to see a clean implementation of ZFS on Linux
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.