[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4 pin to 6 pin adaptor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_0798.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0798.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
New to computers and just got one as a birthday gift.

My parents picked the parts and cut some corners so I'm looking to upgrade the CPU and GPU in the future.

However when picking the graphics card I noticed I do not have a 6 pin for better a graphics card thus limiting my choice.

Should I just buy a GTX 750 ti or use an adaptor (2x4 pins to 6 pin) in order to power a GTX 950. Is this safe and possible for a long term solution? Don't wanna change the power supply, as I just want a quick upgrade.

Using as 500w power supply so I think I have enough power.

>Pic related of my desk setup
>>
>>54609007
It's perfectly fine as long as the GPU doesn't draw that much power from the connector.
Both the 750ti and 950 use very little power from the connector, even overclocked, so it's safe to do it with those cards.
What you wouldn't want to do is run an OC'd 960 on a 4-6pin adapter, because that can actually draw a significant amount of power from it, and you might end up with an unstable card, or melted cables.
>>
>>54609049
thanks man for the quick reply! yeah i just wanted to make sure really and didn't want to rush into things too quickly when i dont know much, will any adaptor do then im guessing?
>>
>>54609137
It's not a stupid question to ask. Some people get burned by it (... no pun intended).
In theory any adapter would do, but you should probably get a name brand adapter, because I wouldn't want to use a cheap one that didn't have good connectors and melted. That's an extreme case, but I don't like to fuck around with a lightbulb's worth of power running through tiny steel connectors.
>>
>>54609180
yeah i understand, they seem pretty cheap anyway but i'll get a decent one. looks like ill be getting the GTX 950 which seems a lot better
>>
>>54609007
Why not just upgrade your PSU?
>>
>>54609389
Just cba messing about with all the cables, i just wanna plug it in and play plus its still brand new and wanna get some use out of it first
>>
>>54609007
There is a 950 from Asus that does not need a 6-pin connector since it draws all power from the pci port and it seems to perform just the same as the regular 6-pin version.

I think is this one - http://amzn.com/B01DDA6VRE
Not 100% sure but it is made by Asus
>>
I once used an adaptor for the gtx 480 (overclocked of course) with a cheap no name power supply... Played a bit of crisis, went to the kitchen, heard my power supply explode. Then again, the 480 was one of the most power hungry cards ever
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.