[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember those holographic discs everyone was talking about back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Remember those holographic discs everyone was talking about back in the 2000s that could store terabytes of data on one disc and was supposed to be the successor to Blu-ray? What happened to those?
>>
>>54605596
probably too large/expensive/impractical
>>
>>54605596
lost the war with blu-ray
>>
>>54605596
Useless now that we have streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime going 4K and gigabit internet. The Roku 4 and the Amazon Fire TV support 4K.

Optical media is toast.
>>
They were really expensive when people first heard about price, low storage size ones in 200-500gb were estimated to be 100$+ each.
Big ones, 1-3tb were in the 600-700$ price range.

Really just impractical, they would have also needed special readers which likely would have cost a ton as well.
>>
Or maybe they want your discs to have less space so you can purchase more ? Duhhh
>>
>>54605881
So why don't we still use floppies genius?
>>
>>54605902
more expensive to produce than CD's
>>
>>54605935
K, so why don't we still use CD?
>>
>>54605948
The music industry still uses CDs.
>>
File: LyUV4P0.png (312 KB, 446x331) Image search: [Google]
LyUV4P0.png
312 KB, 446x331
>>54605948
more expensive to produce than electron's
>>
Early 2000s I had a buddy working for Maxtor who would always tell me what the company lab was up to. In the early 2000s they had something going on with a DARPA project for high density storage using holographic discs. They were hard drive platters rather than a CD/DVD counter part, but worked somewhat similarly. Ablating the surface of the disc with a targeted electron beam would build up or level out material on the surface, and that would change the way light reflected off of it. It was illuminated with one light source to produce a reflection, then another set of instruments, lasers I assumed, would be able to read those surface changes as bits of information. Rather than the simplistic imprinting used by CDs, these structures on the surface of the disc were read from multiple angles, so each one contained more information which is how they were aiming to achieve higher density. I remember him saying something about having a 1TB prototype way back in the day. No idea whatever happened to that. Probably too slow to be viable for real world use.
>>
>>54605948
Video gaymens and HD movies.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.