[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Tor browser needs updating >80 MB update if I miss a few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: serveimage.png (811 KB, 1280x785) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
811 KB, 1280x785
>Tor browser needs updating
>80 MB update if I miss a few updates

What the fuck /g/? Why are they basically just downloading a fresh install of it each time it updates?
>>
>>54604324
as 99% of all recent software
>>
>>54604324
>updating
>not reading through the entire source code and fixing all the bugs yourself
>>
>>54604427
I have a life.
>>
My guess: it's easier to cryptographically sign the entire package than the individual patches updates would have to ship with
>>
>>54604324
>Tor browser is still based on Firefox
Just goes to show that the retards that run the Tor project don't know fucking shit about security.
>>
Any real reason I should be using Tor? VPN works for me. I feel like some people only use Tor to be edgy.
>>
>>54604828
Mozilla and Tor have a level of communication they could never get with Google, so what would you rather they base it on?
i.e. a typical conversation between Tor devs and Mozilla devs might go something like:
>Firefox just made this change that breaks this functionality in Tor browser, can you undo it?
>Sorry, no we need this change because X. What if we made an about:config option to turn it off?
>Alright, that will do, thanks!

vs. with Google Chromium team:
>Chromium just made this change that breaks this functionality in Tor browser, can you undo it?
>No.

>>54604884
Depends on the threat model. VPNs don't provide any additional security from state and network level attackers (they just shift the point of trust to the VPN). All you're getting is one layer of indirection from the destination, so example.com doesn't know your originating IP (you're also preventing attacks on your local network, but again, that trust is just moved to the site of the VPN, so there's no technical advantage over a non-VPN connection). But if your attacker isn't example.com, and is instead China, or the FBI, or an abusive spouse, etc. etc., then a VPN doesn't provide anywhere near as much protection as Tor does (since a VPN knows the originting and destination IP simultaneously, while on Tor, no single entity knows both).
>>
>>54604324
>2016
>still using Tor
You'll get what you deserve.
>>
>>54605062
>i.e. a typical conversation between Tor devs and Mozilla devs might go something like:
>>Firefox just made this change that breaks this functionality in Tor browser, can you undo it?
>>Nope, we need to be more like Chrome!
>>ok...
>>
Because installing 5 updates takes longer than installing the whole thing.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.