[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Requirements and recommendations for starting a career
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Neuroscientist here, thinking on starting a career as programmer.

I know the basics of C# and Python, and I started to develop a videogame in my spare time.

What language do you recommend/is most demanded? How do I get an entry job in the sector without holding a degree like CS?

I know that plenty of users here are already in, and i'm curious about reading your experiences and recommendations.
Thank you all.
>>
>neuroscientist
>wants to be a programmer

Nice b8 mate i r8 1/8
>>
Do something you like. Get good at it. Create a GitHub account and contribute. Apply for a relevant job with it.
>>
>>54594913
Get a research officer position in a uni research lab working on bioinformatics. Molecular biologists generate terabytes of data that need proper pipelines and processing. The programs to analyse DNA sequences are already well developed but linking the wet lab to the computer is still lacking. Good luck. Microbiologist here.
>>
>>54595038

I really love analyzing spike signals, computer modelling and bioinformatics, but I'm in Europe right now and positions are really difficult at this time. Many universities doesn't have enough money for maintaining salaries and labs. I'm tired of that, and I want to try private sector or being freelance.
>>
>>54594913
For anyone, JavaScript is a good language for getting work. I don't have a degree, but I can always get work pretty easily since everyone needs front end developers these days.

For you, since you have neuroscience experience, you could get some sick jobs in machine learning.

Learn Java and play with tensorflow. Put some stuff on github. Link to your github on your resume. Talk to developers working on similar projects. Maybe even start a blog. Having an online presence is the best way to show people you can do this if you haven't had a programming job before.
>>
It really fucking sucks that because of capitalism actual scientists want to change careers and become codemonkeys. Fuck this.
>>
>>54597555
>implying all programmers are codemonkeys
>>>/v/
you don't belong here
>>
>>54597783
Most are, though, maybe 20% of programming jobs can be considered "cool". And OP said they wanted to do freelance. That's sort of implying codemonkey.
>>
>>54597819
>maybe 20% of programming jobs
>random statistic out of my asshole

>can be considered "cool"
>"cool"
If you really think this is what matters most, then you need to fuck off until you're no longer underage

>And OP said they wanted to do freelance. That's sort of implying codemonkey.
It doesn't, if frontend is what you're implying
I know a freelance mainframe developer who shovels cash using COBOL and I have worked freelance on C++ backend systems

being on a salary isn't the end-all and be-all
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.