[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/g/ says anime isn't technology >Their idol has watched
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 18
File: 144918203948.png (29 KB, 548x299) Image search: [Google]
144918203948.png
29 KB, 548x299
>/g/ says anime isn't technology
>Their idol has watched anime
>Now knows of Maki's existence
>>
GNU/Anime
>>
hacker alert

dude u hackd the codes!!!!!!!
>>
>Utena
Great taste
>>
dumbshit makiposter
>>
FOSS anime when?
>>
>>54588040
Rude
>>
Honestly dick seems like a pretty cool guy.
>>
>>54587992
He watches anime, so what?
He also condones bestiality
>>
the thought of stallman-sama watching love live makes me happy

which girl do you think he would like the most?
>>
>>54588952
Is there someone running FOSS software in that Anime?
>>
>>54588649
And paedophilia
>>
>>54588649
Literally nothing wrong with female human on male animal, nor incest though
>>
File: five cute facts about Maki.png (100 KB, 336x430) Image search: [Google]
five cute facts about Maki.png
100 KB, 336x430
I wonder if he gets tired of /g/entoomen emailing him inane questions
>>
>>54590174
He never responded to my question about making his DNA sequence free to be modified and redistributed
>>
File: 1457564619426.jpg (45 KB, 390x418) Image search: [Google]
1457564619426.jpg
45 KB, 390x418
>>54587992
>Maki
>>
>>54590740
Maki is cute
>>
>>54588649
Refute it
>>
>gfs are technology
>/g/ doesn't even have a gf
What gives?
>>
>>54592426
/g/ is not a person
>>
>>54589244
Nico because she's poor.
>>
>>54590174
>5 facts
>only 4
>one of them isnt right
>one of them is a fact about the poster
>one of them is just her name
>>
Literally Stallman's only claim to fame is being one of the guys who helped Linus first make Linux.

I have no idea why you faggots worship him.
>>
>>54592457
There's a little something called the GPL.
>>
File: average Canadian couple.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
average Canadian couple.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>54592457
I thought /g/ hated Linus.
>>
>>54592470

Which, what, 12 people in the whole world care about? Stallman being two of them.

Face it. He's a try-hard. He even calls himself Dr. Stallman despite only having honorary degrees. That would be like Kanye West calling himself Dr Kanye West. But he doesn't because even he knows that's pretentious.

If Kanye West is less pretentious than you, you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>54592470
GPL is a legal framework, not a technical one, so lots of people on /g/ don't respect it as such (although I agree that non-technical contributions are valuable as well).

That being said, it's generally agreed that v3 made GPL a bit of a poison pill. Anyone that wants to make open source code but still be permissive about its use uses the MIT license and generally not GPLv2. You only hear about GPLv3, which even at MSR (a pretty academic-leaning industry organization), I heard people refer to as "viral" licensing to evoke how it contaminates projects by legally obligating the rest of code to be made open source.

GPL should have won over the hearts and minds of developers. By presenting this ultimatum, they alienated a huge community of industry developers who might otherwise have been sympathetic enough to familiarize themselves with OSS and ultimately agree with it.
>>
>>54592521
Holy shit he does have an honorary degree.
What a disappointment.
>>
>>54592580
You didn't know this?

Universities practically hand out honorary degrees to anyone that gives commencement speeches and stuff. It might even be payment, although I'm sure there's an actual monetary payment as well (I would just never give a commencement speech after giving one at an ivy league if my only payment was to be a degree)
>>
>>54592580

Pretentious try-hard.

Surprisingly he never referred to anyone else with an honorary degree as Doctor. I'd love to see him say Doctor Steve Jobs.
>>
>>54589854
And communism
>>
File: 1461868363756.jpg (44 KB, 264x282) Image search: [Google]
1461868363756.jpg
44 KB, 264x282
I see the anti-stallman is out in full force right now.

Sure, let's ignore his undergrad physics degree from MIT, that he'd almost obtained his master's when he left to start GNU.

Yeah, what has he ever done? (as you run code that was written with an editor he authored, compiled by a compiler he wrote, licensed to you under the terms of a license he created).
>>
>>54592450
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>54592701
didn't know he wrote vim, clang, and bsd :^)
>>
>>54592701
>he'd almost obtained his master's when he left to start GNU.
in the phd student community people are known for "mastering out" because they got their masters and left the program, usually because going deep on a subject with a dissertation was too hard for them.

RMS didn't even master out. was he even a phd student? did anyone bet on him being able to contribute significantly to the academic community? I'm seriously asking here; i thought i read he had been a phd student at one point, but if he was a masters student then that's even sadder.

if he had stayed in academia and written papers about the need for open source and whatnot, at least then his advocacy would be cited more often, get into the academic discourse in a more rigorous fashion, and earn him more credibility in that dimension.

the culture in academic work is admittedly to do stuff open source and public, but nobody acknowledges the advocacy that RMS did because he neither situated it in literature (there's a lot of potential; he wasn't such a novel snowflake that the notion of intellectual property was unheard of and therefore unprecedented) nor put it through peer review or into scholarship (which would have given people reason to grapple with it).
>>
>>54588048
Keep an eye open over the next few months
>>
>>54592724
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54587992
>Anonymous 7 hours ago
Fucking hotpockets
>>
>>54592678
And nasal sex with dead plants
>>
>>54592972
has anyone ever emailed to ask him why he acts in such an odd way?

i mean we all assume he's autistic or aspie as fuck or whatever, but has he said as much? someone must have diagnosed him at some point if he actually was.

if he's not, then i'd really like to hear how he justifies being a symbolic figure in the community while also being this awkward, alienating person who has these outbursts and stuff. if his role is largely some sort of PR/figurehead role, then does he not appreciate that he should keep his cool, not eat fingernails, not talk about shit like smelling flowers using words like "nasal sex with dead plants", etc...?

i ask because i like FSF and stuff, but he seems to actively detract from the movement. when the topic of free software comes up among tech savvy people and they mention RMS with the now characteristic eye-roll, i have to frame my response with "yeah he's definitely weird, but..."

that's an unbelievably weak position to start from. look at jimmy wales as an example of a public figure who doesn't embarrass himself and his project. emulate that if you're neither going to contribute to the code nor do anything else especially useful.
>>
>>54593015
oh whoops i mis-remembered; he doesn't eat fingernails, he just eats the shit in toenails.
>>
>>54592756
>>54592602

What a fraud.
>>
>>54593015
>not talk about shit like smelling flowers using words like "nasal sex with dead plants", etc...?
Are you familiar with the term "joke"?

He's 63 years old.
>>
>>54592756
So you wanted him to conform, get in line and do completely meaningless work so that his ideas might stroke academics the right way.

So instead of doing useless crap to appease people like you, he actually made his vision real. He made the number one free software organization. Without it linux might never have become great or free software.

It's much more important to have proof that FOSS can work and be really good, and acctually start competing with proprietary, than him being cited more in academic circles, especially when
>the culture in academic work is admittedly to do stuff open source and public
>>
>>54593123
are you capable of differentiating a good joke from one that makes people uncomfortable?

being an old man who makes people feel uncomfortable with weird jokes doesn't help the FSF or GPL's mission. is this entire endeavor just an elaborate form of hospice care for a senile old man?
>>
>>54593123
Are you familiar with the term "humor"?
Jokes are supposed to have it.
>>
File: gnu.png (459 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gnu.png
459 KB, 640x480
>>54587992
>Revolutionary Girl Utena
I always knew based RMS was a patrician
>>
>>54593132

Stallman's only achievement is contributing to Linus making Linux. Terry Davis is a good example, made amazing shit but it will never go anywhere.

Linus was Stallmans lucky break and he should thank Marx or whoever pinkos worship every day of his life that he was lucky enough to contribute to Linus's work.
>>
>>54593132
>So you wanted him to conform, get in line and do completely meaningless work so that his ideas might stroke academics the right way.
i would've liked to see him formalize his ideas and make them useful for people who engage with the theory of intellectual property and whatnot. you make it sound like i'm demanding to handcuff him. all he would have to do to contribute to the academic community is cite some past literature and submit a paper for peer review without the benefit of his name at the top. the first requires rigor, and the second requires that your work have merit on its own. for all the shortcomings and flaws in peer review in general, there is arguably no more effective way to advance a theoretical argument.

>instead of doing useless crap ... he actually made his vision real
these are not mutually exclusive. lots of researchers instantiate what they talk about. you sound like a lazy or incompetent academic. or maybe you were just trained by them.
>>
>>54593138
>being an old man who makes people feel uncomfortable with weird jokes doesn't help the FSF or GPL's mission.
Who gives a shit?

if you need a nice frontman with elvis presley voice to appreciate the concepts FSF and GPL want to spread you obviously don't understand them.

Stallman is a successful person who started a whole movement and is a millionaire.
He's an honest and genuinely nice person (I've met him personally on one of his talks).

He doesn't put up a fake mask.

And that's clearly what you want.
Fucking panem et circenses.

Kill yorself.
>>
>>54593132

"The bent knife is the most unique in the cutlery drawer, it's also the first to be thrown away"
>>
>>54587992
Has Stallman seen Lain? What would he think of it?
>>
>>54593228

Stallman is a pretentious faggot who calls himself a 'doctor' without having gained a PhD, destroys any credibility he has by acting like an ass "I'm not glad he's dead but I'm glad he's gone" and his only real claim to fame is contributing to the creation of Linux.
>>
>>54593276
Not really
>>
>>54593288

>two undistputable facts
>one personal opinion

>not really

Really proving my point there feeetard
>>
>>54587992
I hate you fucking freetards. You shit up this board with shilling your broken software and you ruined best girl for me.

I hope all the devices running a variation of Linux explode and take you beta faggot neckbeards with them.
>>
>>54587992
>Utena
Great taste

Now fuck off weeb
>>
>>54593228
>Who gives a shit?
people who care about advancing the FSF's success.

>if you need a nice frontman ... to appreciate FSF and GPL ... you obviously don't understand them
you might not understand this, but generally people assess credibility on a gut judgment informed largely by appearances. it's basically an instinctive process.

it's not fair for the guy that can't trim his nails, shower, or comb his hair; nevertheless, it is what it is. you need someone who looks at least remotely credible, just like the rhetoric you use to communicate an argument is just as crucial as the argument itself.

unless you're saying that someone who makes gut judgments like those fundamentally can't understand what FSF is about, which would sound more like your own baggage strapped on to the free software movement.

>[stallman] doesn't put up a fake mask
i'm not asking him to. i'm asking why he insists on being the person that advocates his point if he's aware that he's an extremely divisive person. he's intelligent, but have any of his talks in the past several years required such cerebral intelligence that an intelligent, personable FSF advocate couldn't have done the job just as well? here's the crucial part: if a personable FSF advocate could have done the job instead, what's the expected value on lost supporters if RMS's likelihood of having a meltdown or eating toenail bits during a public appearance is ~0.1?

i'm not asking for fake, like you seem to think. i'm asking for someone who's real and doesn't make normal people uncomfortable. you seem to think those two things are the same, which makes me wonder if you have to *act* normal in day to day life. in that case, it doesn't surprise me that you fall on the side of liking RMS. he's a weird, divisive person and tends to win over other people who are weird. maybe they see themselves in him.
>>
>>54593319
the salt is real
>>
>>54587992
>he had good taste and now be is going to see shit thanks to some idolfag
Thanks for ruining everything.
>>
>>54593341
sorry, meant to say
>i'm asking for someone who's real and doesn't make normal people uncomfortable. you seem to think those two things are mutually exclusive
>>
>>54593319
When the cyber apocalypse happened you'll know we were right
>>
>>54593303
>undistputable
indisputable
ftfy
>without having gained a PhD
>1996: Doctorate honoris causa from Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology
>>
>>54592756
>was he even a phd student?
He was for a short time
>did anyone bet on him being able to contribute significantly to the academic community?
They did, he's a pioneer in AI, he worked with Sussman before quitting the AI lab to dedicate his life to GNU and the FSF
>if he had stayed in academia and written papers about the need for open source and whatnot, at least then his advocacy would be cited more often, get into the academic discourse in a more rigorous fashion, and earn him more credibility in that dimension.
His advocacy for FOSS was born out of watching his environment getting destroyed by retarded licensing, not out of academic pursuit
Also, he's a physicist and mainly a hacker, not a sociologist to write papers on the impact of licensing
>>
>>54593364
the only people i know who consider an honorary phd to be legitimate are the deans handing them out and the kanye wests accepting them.
>>
>>54593381
Like Benjamin Franklin right?
>>
>>54593381
So you are saying your only experience with honorary doctorates is through watching BET?
>>
>>54593341
>i'm not asking him to
>i'm not asking for fake
You do.

You've mumbled about how people assess credibility of ideas by >muh instincts on person's appearance and behaviour and what you desire is for stallman to fool those instincts to make his ideas more appealing to the general public.

So kys
>>
>>54593192
>Stallman's only achievement is contributing to Linus making Linux
Stallman founded the FSF, wrote and provided licences for FOSS software and wrote the GNU utils. before linux was made. Linux is just a kernel. Without stallman it might never been a thing as a viable OS, or it might have been under some other non-free license.

>>54593210

> there is arguably no more effective way to advance a theoretical argument.
Well yeah, there is. Proving it. Going off and making it real.

But more importantly, would consumers know or care about the academic formality of these ideas? No. They would care about what works. Would the proprietary software giants care about them? No, they'd only care about the competition.

>these are not mutually exclusive.
So you're saying he could have worked just as hard on GNU, FSF etc. while also pursuing demanding academic goals?
I don't think so.
>>
>>54593391
Your argument isn't nearly as persuasive outside of your head as it seems to be inside it. Kanye West has an honorary doctorate. Oprah has four. JK Rowling has 7.

JK Rowling has 7 honorary doctorates. That's one for each Harry Potter book.
>>
>>54593421
>You've mumbled
if you're hearing mumbling of these words, it's because you're reading out loud as you read text.
>>
>>54593449
What are you implying?
>>
File: 1438882522865.jpg (25 KB, 460x368) Image search: [Google]
1438882522865.jpg
25 KB, 460x368
>>54592521
>>54592580
>>54592595
>>54592602
>>54592756
>>54593192
>>54593276
>>54593319
Stallman has 12 honorary doctorates, which more than qualifies him to use Dr in his name
he also has 2-3 honorary professorships
>>
>>54593446
http://www.myplan.com/majors/acupuncture/description-51.3301.html?sid=b855c28d47b90167c37b01de91aafd77

Someone has a PhD in acupuncture, your argument is invalid.
>>
>>54593421
>You've mumbled about how people assess credibility of ideas
He's right. see
[1] MASIP, J., GARRIDO, E., AND HERRERO, C. Facial appearance and impressions of credibility: The effects of facial babyishness and age on person perception. International Journal of Psychology 39, 4 (2004), 276–289.
[2] O’NEAL, G. S., AND LAPITSKY, M. Effects of clothing as nonverbal communication on credibility of the message source. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal 9, 3 (1991), 28–34.
[3] WATHEN, C. N., AND BURKELL, J. Believe it or not: Factors influencing credibility on the web. Journal of the American society for information science and technology 53, 2 (2002), 134–144.
>>
>>54593453
a bunch of bullshit degrees don't have additive credibility characteristics.

or alternatively, you probably wouldn't make this argument if it was steve jobs with 12 honorary doctorates instead of RMS, which makes this pretty clearly post facto rationalizing.
>>
I don't understand this Maki meme
>>
>>54593628
I wouldn't for Steve jobs
honorary degrees are awarded for non academic work that a university considers beneficial to society and worth giving credit
If Steve Jobs had been given honorary degrees for reinventing the already invented then I would question it, but seeing as stallman has done legitimate work that doesn't have a profit motive like Steve, I don't feel that the two are comparable
in other words rms has non-bullshit honorary degrees
>>
>>54593473
the study of acupuncture makes sense, at least to assess its usefulness as a way to treat pain. someone has to do research in that field.

it's also decidedly small; just 34 PhDs, and most likely none of us would recognize the granting institutions' names.

When Harvard gives someone an honorary doctorate, that's different from Charlie's School for the Acupuncturally Gifted giving someone a "real" PhD.
>>
>>54593691
haha, get fucked

You have honorary AiDs in fourchan argumentation.
>>
>>54593689
>non-bullshit honorary degrees
you're splitting hairs, and i'm sorry but i just can't accept it. universities give out honorary degrees completely at their discretion and for their own reasons. any merit *you* associate with someone's honorary degree is largely projected, so it's not only unfair, but actually unreasonable to differentiate between honorary degrees in a bullshit or not-bullshit way.

the practice is bullshit *because* of the variability in who gets them, and the whimsical nature of universities handing them out. Bill Cosby had like 3, then had them taken away. Hitler had at least one that got taken back a while ago (in the last 30 years i think). Kermit the Frog has an honorary doctorate. JK Rowling has 7 (as previously stated).

The criteria for giving honorary doctorates is fundamentally disconnected from the "real" process of getting a PhD, so any number of honorary doctorates can't reasonably add up to equivalent credibility with a real one. if anything, this sounds like the bandwagon fallacy. i might buy it if not for the fact that people generally get their honorary doctorates after (read: for) giving commencement speeches.
>>
>>54593192
>he should thank Marx or whoever pinkos worship
>implying communists worship anything
>implying communism isn't science based

Capitalists rely on the 'invisible hand'. Kek
>>
'le lesbian anime much like his first love

it all adds up
>>
>>54593364

>horonorary doctorate
>real doctor

Just like Dr. J.K. Rowling, with her ground breaking research into wizards, right?
>>
>>54593853
7 doctorates!
>>
>>54593434

He did some shit no one cares about to this day, and contributed a bit to Linux. That's the extent of it.
>>
>>54593453

>having an honorary doctorate means you can call yourself a doctor

Steve Jobs has a few, and changed the face of technology far more than that fat communist, you care to pay your respect to Doctor Jobs?
>>
>>54593689

>some honorary degrees are shit but stallmans are legit I swear guize

If you're a good boy you think 'Doctor' Stallman will let you suck his dick?

He's a fat sham
>>
>>54593868
>a bit
>to linux
B8
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 263x191) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 263x191
>>54593834

>communists don't worship anything

Nice fedora, how's the theory behind the Great Leap Forward coming along?
>>
>>54587992
This fat guy has never done anything except complaining about "proprietary". Linus Torvalds is the real guy, he made the Linux and is a multi-millionaire. He knows how the world works.
>>
>>54587992
ITT 3rd world autistics try to argue semantics in a language they just learned.
>>
>>54593974
Linus Torvalds copied Minix and then sat back while everyone else did the work. It is this same attitude that caused him to allow its demise, btw.
>>
>>54593987

And all Stallman did was contribute to Linus's work.

That's what history will remember.
>>
File: 1458387425106-g.jpg (44 KB, 308x450) Image search: [Google]
1458387425106-g.jpg
44 KB, 308x450
>>54593974
>>
>>54593987

>Linus Torvalds

Sorry, but I think you mean Doctor Torvalds

http://mobile.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2000012700305NWCY
>>
>>54594046
>>54593987

Owned
>>
>>54594046
>Sorry
I know you are.
>I think
You've shown us that you are very good at it.
>you mean
Yes, I am.
>Doctor Torvalds
Congratulations. Is that a PhD is CopyPasta?
>>
>>54594228

>is that a PhD is copypasta

>tries to save face
>can't into grammar

Kek
>>
Why can't freetards stop being trolled once in a while?
>>
>>54594954
Because we know that there are some legitimate viral marketers and FUD spreaders on here and letting them influence the hoards of new users that are on /g/ could drive free software and /g/ apart.
If you have a better solution please tell me.
>>
>>54587992
Even my dad has seen Miyazaki's films. Who hasn't? How could you possibly be surprised that a person such as Stallman, who is interested in learning about other cultures, has seen those films?
>>
>>54594294
>save face
>on an anonymous imageboard

rofl, 100% undistputable
500 cool points have been deposited into your e-peen account
>>
>>54594993

If free software was good it would be, y'know, popular.

And taking issue with Stallman calling himself a Doctor when he doesn't have a PhD is quite natural. It makes him look pretentious.
>>
>>54595142
>good things have to be popular and the other way around
>implying there is no popular free software
>>
>>54595142
>quality equals popularity
I guess this means Facebook is the greatest website of all time.
>>
>>54595142
>If free software was good it would be, y'know, popular.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

while popularity /can/ reflect quality, it's not always the main, or major, or even a factor at all
>>
>>54587992
I had to google maki.

>love losers
>>
>>54592701
rms is no more responsible for GNU software (other than emacs) than Steve Jobs was for the development of the iPad

rms is just a "visionary" and a motivational speaker for the GNU project.
>>
>>54595338
>(other than emacs)
GCC you wog.
>>
>Maki
>not superior Mikoto
>>
>informing him on maki
>when she's shit

Nozomifags are the true patricians.
>>
Why is it appropriate for Stallman to refer to himself as 'Doctor Stallman', when he doesn't refer to Linus as 'Doctor Torvolds'?

Once again the fat Jew attempts to make himself seem more important while trivialising those whose work made his name known. This is no different from his constant whining about people not adding GNU before Linux. Had Linus not used Stallmans work he would have just used someone else's, Linux could exist without Stallman, not the other way around.

Remove that pretentious faggot from the sticky. Put Linus or Terry on it instead.
>>
File: ragehades.gif (976 KB, 266x199) Image search: [Google]
ragehades.gif
976 KB, 266x199
>>54595550
>>
>>54595550
my guess is because Torvalds actually has an actual academic degree and it wasn't a doctorate
>>
>>54595550
>Linux could exist without Stallman
kek, not really

>comp.os.minix august 1991

Hello everybody out there using minix -
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things).
I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

Linus ([email protected])

In the "Notes for linux release 0.01", Torvalds lists the GNU software that is required to run Linux:

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.

And of course despite relationship between Stallman and Torvalds being "competetive" to say the least Torvalds described licensing the kernel under GPL as "best thing he ever did"
>>
>>54595661

Neither Stallman or Torvolds have PhD's, but they both have numerous Honorary Doctorates.

Stallman calls himself Doctor Stallman, but doesn't refer to Torvolds with the same honorific. I also doubt he calls Kanye Doctor West or refers to the Harry Potter author as Doctor Rowling.

He's a pretentious try-hard.
>>
>>54595736

And after that Linus bought Linux into the main stream, made it far better than anything Stallman did, and Stallman's jealousy that Linus made the superior product grew into an unwarranted sense of self importance.

What's your point? Or you just trying to defend you freetard King despite him trying to take credit for other people's work?
>>
>>54595736

>copyleft

Filthy fucking communists
>>
>>54592521
Mother fuckers act like they forgot about dre.
>>
>>54595751
Do you know if these other folks you mention call him Dr. Stallman? Is there a chance he uses the title out of respect for the people who gave him the honorary doctorate? Is there a chance he calls Dr. Torvalds by his honorific title and then laughs alongside him?

Is there a chance that everyone in this thread is a piece of shit loser/luser who likes to argue about inconsequential things instead of contributing to society?
>>
>>54595781
>What's your point?
Mine? Proving you wrong my friend.
Without Stallman writing GCC and authoring the GPL linux wouldn't even lift off.

So claiming that "linux could exist without stallman" is clearly a bullshit statement made up by a pretentious faggot just to appear contrarian because we're on 4chan after all :)

Linux matured, became successful and in that phase it's possible it would do just fine if all contributions made by Stallman and his acolytes from FSF suddenly vanished.
>>
>>54595826

And what would your view be of Kanye signing all his emails with 'Doctor West'

Would you think that's pretentious?

How is it any different when King Freetard does it? Because you 'respect him'?

Apples and Oranges is a terrible arguing technique.
>>
>>54595854

But without Linus and Linux the GPL and FSF would have faded into obscurity. They only reason anyone pays them any heed now is because of the (negligible) help it gave Linus back in the early days of Linux.

If anything the FSF should rename itself Linux/FSF, simply because the Linux project and Linus are the only reason anyone would pay them any attention now.

Stallman's work is just a footnote in the history of Linus's achievements. He should be grateful for that, otherwise he would be nothing.

Demanding people call Linux GNU/Linux is audacious.
>>
>>54595915
>But without Linus and Linux the GPL and FSF would have faded into obscurity. They only reason anyone pays them any heed now is because of the (negligible) help it gave Linus back in the early days of Linux.
That's completely retarded
>>
>>54595930

To you perhaps, but that's how history will remember it.
>>
>>54595915
>But without Linus and Linux the GPL and FSF would have faded into obscurity.
Very nice baseless assumption there.
>>
>>54596020

It's virtually obscure at the moment, it's not a hard deduction to make.
>>
File: 1459272499424.jpg (170 KB, 952x1280) Image search: [Google]
1459272499424.jpg
170 KB, 952x1280
>>
>>54596043
>it's not a hard deduction to make.
Not really, Hurd was in development at the time.

After Linux was released, Hurd stopped being a priority for GNU because all GNU components were ported to work with the Linux kernel.

Reason behind popularity of Linux is it's license - GPL.
And Hurd would be released under the same license.
>>
>>54596131

You're assuming Hurd would have been as successful as Linux, and considering how badly pretty much every other FSF project has been, that's quite the leap.

Face it. Linus saved free software and Stallman should give him the respect he deserves, rather than try to pry himself into Linus's achievements.
>>
>>54596065
Delete this
>>
>>54595465
Moo
>>
>>54592480
her sister is so hot
>>
Ok so who do we replace that fat communist with in the sticky?

Terry or Linus?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10236809
>>
>>54597556
Add a Maki option
>>
>>54597556

Terry is the one true prophet of /g/
>>
>>54597601

Fuck off weeb scum
>>
File: animeisbanned.png (14 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
animeisbanned.png
14 KB, 640x400
>>
>>54597697

>Dr. Richard Stallman
>'Doctor'

Kek
>>
File: freedoms-respecting cute anime.png (84 KB, 350x325) Image search: [Google]
freedoms-respecting cute anime.png
84 KB, 350x325
>>54597697
Good think I got this CC BY animu right here, made from the Ubunchu manga
>>
>>54597697
https://morevnaproject.org/
>CREATING ANIMATION WITH FREE SOFTWARE
>Morevna Project is an independent initiative aimed at testing and improving open-source tools by adopting them in the real
>animation production. As part of those activities we documenting the developed workflows and approaches to help others
>learn from our practices and publishing results of production as free content.
>>
>>54597832

Why do people make these niche free software projects?

I mean, they catch on. No one ever really pays attention, and proprietary versions are always superior.

Is it just so they can circle-jerk to other freetards?
>>
Who's Maki? I also like Revolutionary Girl Utena and share a birthday with RMS so you should make me aware of her too, as I am clearly one of the chosen
>>
>>54597730
well, if he has a doctorate, then he is a doctor.
>>
>Utena
RMS got some patrician taste
>>
>>54598163

He has honorary degrees. You don't see Linus Torvalds calling himself 'Doctor' Torvalds, or Kanye West, or J.K. Rowling.

He's attention seeking.
>>
>>54593341
>begging stallman to appease normalfags
No fuck off
You have to go back.
>>
File: 1462882063429.jpg (43 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1462882063429.jpg
43 KB, 690x460
>>54592404
>maki is cute
despite the whole anime being trash, Maki isn't even best girl.
that's Nico.
>>
>>54588649
you say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
File: what-00049.gif (123 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
what-00049.gif
123 KB, 400x400
>RMS has actually watched Utena
Holy fucking shit
>>
>>54598778

>fat bitter unwashed slob watches anime

I'd be more surprised if he hadn't seen it...
>>
>"Uthena"
>>
>>54595430
I am now watching this animu because of you. Looks brety gud
>>
>>54593883
>changed the face of technology

Yeah, from universal machines to cute little cages that monitor your life and control what you do

THANK YOU STEVE!
>>
>>54599447
Watch index 1 and 2 first if you want to understand anything.

And Mikoto a shit.
>>
>>54600205
ur face is shit
>>
>>54599503

>control what you do

Only if you're weak, faggot.
>>
>>54596065
Maki Maki gimmi that faki
>>
>>54600882
Stoppu
>>
>>54596065
Maki Maki gimmi that faki
>>
>When asked if he was Jewish, Stallman said he was "an atheist but of Jewish ancestry".

Based Stallman. Denies his Jewish blood for greater good. God bless RMS.
>>
>>54593883
He didn't have twelve.
>>
>>54595870
Does Kanye have an honorary doctorate?
>>
>>54596065
Maki maki gimme that faki <3
>>
>>54592756
there is no shame in leaving after just a masters. a phd nowadays in an idiotic choice as you waste an extra 2-3 years on top of what a masters would take. during that time you'll effectively be paid minimum wage or less considering the amount of hours you'll be putting in all for a minute salary bump over what a masters student makes. except the masters students will be making real money for 2-3 years while you slave away for your kike adviser surrounded by poojeets and chinks.

i fucking wish i mastered out.
>>
File: fdss.png (741 KB, 919x471) Image search: [Google]
fdss.png
741 KB, 919x471
>>54587992
>our idol
That's not Louis Rossman
>>
>>54606557
I bet he watches anime.

Love Live
>>
File: dsaf.png (583 KB, 926x472) Image search: [Google]
dsaf.png
583 KB, 926x472
>>54607101
I bet he doesn't, since he's a productive member of society.
>>
>>54598778
Stop posting my girlfriend
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.