[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wayland Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: Wayland_logo.jpg (21 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
Wayland_logo.jpg
21 KB, 330x330
Wayland pretty much stable Gnome 3.20 in my experience, how is your experience about Wayland /g/?
>>
>>54577811
non-existent.
>>
>>54577811
I don't understand wayland.

It's not a replacement of X server. Yet it aims to replace X11.
What the fuck is weston actually?
>>
>>54577885
Simply: Wayland is a protocol.
It's a resume what X11 did as protocol and program.
Weston is the "program part" of X11. It does the Windows and their composition.
Think Wayland as if X11 was killed, his soul purified of his sins and his new body is shinny and no a obese slob.
Oh, and Weston is some shit like his son.
>>
>>54577937
Now that's a holy trinity I could get into famalam!
>>
>>54577811
Crashes every 5 milliseconds. Saged and reported. Fuck off, lennart.
>>
>>54577811
>Wayland pretty much stable
It ain't stable until it's included and turned on by default in Debian stable
>>
>>54580960
That's called obsolete. The search continues.
>>
Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that Wayland will never take off?
>>
>>54581323
It has taken off and running great
>>
Tried it out on f23. I liked it for a 5 minutes and then it turned out devilspie doesn't works with it.
>>
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wayland-Not-For-Fedora-24
>Wayland Will Not Be The Default Of Fedora 24
How many times have they pushed it back now?
>>
>>54581323
Yup, pretty much confirmed at this point.
>>
>>54581392
At least two times I think. So it really should be in 25 then, right?
>>
>>54577811
Will everything work with Wayland that worked in X?
>>
>>54577885
Wayland is not an X server. It is meant to entirely replace X11. It does include some functionality that lets X programs run in Wayland compositors, but it is NOT an X server.

Weston is a reference implementation of a Wayland compositor. It's just meant to show what a Wayland compositor does and how it works, but anyone (technically) can write their own compositor that speaks the Wayland protocol.
>>
File: wayland-architecture.png (28 KB, 319x500) Image search: [Google]
wayland-architecture.png
28 KB, 319x500
>>54577885
Yeah they cut out the X server. It just doesn't exist anymore.

wayland clients communicate with the wayland compositor directly.
>>
>>54577811
Wayland gives me problems with switching focus and won't allow proper screen grabbing with a vm in Fedora 23.
>>
>>54582963
No. None of the window managers or compositors will. Those can be replaced, but if you want a generic keybinding utility/hotkey daemon then you're fucked. If you want to use something like xdotool, wmutils, wmctrl, etc. you're fucked. Wayland is cancer that needs to die.
>>
>>54583759
It replaces the functions of X11 but is not a replacement FOR X11. Splitting hairs.

It's a protocol for clients to interact directly with a compositor instead of talking to an X11 server first.
>>
>>54584223
Mhm, yeah I read about that.

So the compositors will have to be rewritten anyway.
VNC over xclients should still work right? With libxwayland or whatever.

xdotool etc are pretty essential things. Aren't they trying to get around this somehow?
>>
>>54583953
What about XWayland?
>>
File: x-on-wayland.png (33 KB, 379x553) Image search: [Google]
x-on-wayland.png
33 KB, 379x553
>>54584678
That diagram is only about wayland clients.

x clients will talk over an x server to the compositor. You mean that?

https://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html
>>
>>54584551
>Aren't they trying to get around this somehow?

No, not that I'm aware of. I don't think they care. It's a "security feature" that you couldn't have something work like this. It looks like there isn't going to be a whole lot of compatibility between wayland compositors, and each compositor will have to rewrite software that could just be shared between X window managers.

They haven't done anything nice with key remapping either. Xmodmap is not the greatest piece of software, but not having it at all is even worse. I get the impression that Wayland wasn't designed with the user in mind at all.
>>
>>54584678
>maximum 10 windows open at once
>>
>>54577811
haven't tried it but if I ever have to edit the xorg.conf file again I'll switch
>>
>>54584782
xinput is being directly replaced with libinput afaik, wayland is just designed to not have a direct dependency on it

I dunno if there is an Xmodmap equivalent yet but I do know that it directly supports the idea of event filters
>>
>>54584995
Nowadays the only thing you need to touch an xorg conf for is adding coolbits=1 to nvidia.conf, thankfully.
>>
>>54585017
>>54584782
https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/06/global-shortcut-handling-in-a-plasma-wayland-session/

Is this wayland dev talking about this here?
https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/06/global-shortcut-handling-in-a-plasma-wayland-session/
>>
>>54580307

>this is the average /g/ poster who doesn't know anything about the subject being discussed; he only parrots memes
>>
>>54585133
t. le nerd poottering
>>
>>54584223

Yes, because X11 had all those in its early years. Can you guarantee that Wayland will never implement new things to the protocol? No, you can't. So stop using edgy words like "cancer" and other cliches while trying to appear smart.
>>
>>54585150

Wayland has nothing to do with Poettering. I suggest you find a relevant thread to embarrass yourself anonymously in.
>>
>>54585199
Lennart is the only one who even remotely believes in it.
>>
I fail to understand why it's even relevant. I've never had problems without it. If it's so necessary of an upgrade, why isn't Ubuntu shipping with it yet?
>>
>>54577811
Is there a distro that comes with Wayland and Gnome 3.20 built-in?

I guess I could start up an Arch machine, but shit is annoying.
>>
>>54585288
Maybe you should learn how to Google.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_wayland_situation&num=1
>>
>>54585288
Ubuntu has never been the poster-child of non-nih-tier bleeding-edge tech. Why do you think they worked on mir for so long? Certainly not because they didn't think an upgrade was needed.
>>
>>54585306

Fedora 24, which is coming in June.
>>
Wayland will be ready when it is default in OpenBSD.
>>
>>54585550
Not as default though.
>>
>>54584223
Nice try, NSA.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.