[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a Chromebook worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: asus.png (261 KB, 690x471) Image search: [Google]
asus.png
261 KB, 690x471
/g/ I've thinking on getting a cheap chromebook or spend an extra 200 dls on a laptop. But dont know If it is really worth it.

I mainly use my PC for programming, college work, music, casual gaming (CS:GO, DOTA2, LoL) and obviously internet.

Im a bit afraid of the limitations the chromebooks have, but I would really like to save the money.
>>
>>54570721
>I mainly use my PC for programming, college work, music, casual gaming (CS:GO, DOTA2, LoL) and obviously internet.
Then obviously this android laptop isn't for you.

>Im a bit afraid of the limitations the chromebooks have, but I would really like to save the money.
You should be. A chrome laptop is just an androis tablet with a permanent keyboard. Never worth it. Get a used chinkpad else build a custom desktop.
>>
>>54570761
In my country it is really hard to find used Thinkpads, and even harder in good shape.
>>
File: 1463128550173.png (699 KB, 622x570) Image search: [Google]
1463128550173.png
699 KB, 622x570
>>54570721
>botnet
>botnet in the form of an OS
>laptop based on botnet in the form of an OS
>>
no games, but everything else is covered
go CB3 if you want performance on a budget
>>
>>54570721
You're fucked with games but it's a nice, small and cheap laptop you can install linux on fairly easily
>>
>>54570821
ebay faget
>>
I know someone who runs ubuntu on one and it seemed pretty nice for a small portable laptop to do basic tasks and programming on.
>>
>>54570761
I don't know what Chrome OS is - the post
>>
>>54571497
It's actually 99% similar to android. You can't run any x86 programs at all despite some chromebooks having an x86 processors.
>>
Go for it OP. I've dad a CB3-111 since November, it works great for what I need (coding, schoolwork, internet). Lightweight, silent, under $100, and great battery life.

A few notes:

You are not going to game on one. It can handle video streaming and the like but very little else.

You have limited software available if you stick with only Chrome OS. If you're up for it, you should use crouton to install xubuntu on it for your software development needs. It will actually allow you to run them simultaneously (no reboot) if you need to switch back and forth for whatever reason.

Storage space is limited. I picked up an extra SD card or two to store stuff i don't use often. Mine came with 100GB cloud storage but that's only useful when you have internet access, YMMV.
>>
>>54570721
It seems to me like a tablet would be more convenient for web browsing college work and music.
Gaming isn't really viable on a chromebook, but not great on a tablet either.
>>
>>54571640
Except chrome OS is more limited than Android. The OS is literally Chrome browser with a download folder.
>>
>>54571963
this
>>
>>54571954
It might be a possibility. But the lack of a mouse will be a bit bad, atleast for me.
Anyways I will look for agood tablet for a similar price, If anyone has suggestions for a good and around 200dls Android Tablet, it would be appreciated.
>>
>>54571963
Chrome OS can run android apps though.
>>
>>54572241
Now it can. For 44 version updates you were screwed
>>
install linux on it
>>
>>54571640
I've played touhou on my cb2, fuck off if you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>54572222
But you can get bluetooth mouses for android at least.
Not for iOS, but if you're looking for something versatile and not expensive you probably won't get an ipad anyway.
>>
Support GalliumOS
>>
Get an Acer Chromebook 14.
Best 300 dollars I've ever spent on tech.
I think it's only being sold on Amazon but shop around.
>>
Is there a cheap chromebook with a 1080p IPS display and can run linux?
>>
File: 221428.gif (846 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
221428.gif
846 KB, 500x500
Go to best buy see full windows laptops 11-14" decent ones for 129-199$

Why the fuxk are chromebooks still a thing ?

Op do yourself and your mom a favor and get a real fuxking computer and not a botnet
>>
DO NOT BUY A FUCKING CHROMEBOOK
NO MEMORY
NO UN-APPROVED PROGRAMS
IT IS LITERALLY A GIANT SMARTPHONE

FOR 350$ YOU CAN GET A DECENT 8G RAM 128GB SSD THINKPAD WITH AT LEAST AN I5 AND RUN LINUX

DO NOT BUY A CHROMEBOOK
>>
File: Dell is Shit.jpg (84 KB, 936x700) Image search: [Google]
Dell is Shit.jpg
84 KB, 936x700
I would rather have a useless botnet Chromebook than one of those shitty Dell XPS machines with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is legit terrible.
>>
>>54575595
>botnet Chromebook

>A botnet (also known as a zombie army) is a number of Internet computers that, although their owners are unaware of it, have been set up to forward transmissions (including spam or viruses) to other computers on the Internet.

Who are we attacking exactly?
>>
>>54570721
>programming
Maybe, if you install linux on it

>college work
depends, probably not

>music
sure

>gaming
no

Chromebooks are machines designed to run chrome (the browser) only. Some of them support linux, but then you might have to deal with needed programs not being available for your architecture

I bought mine as lightweight internetmachine and google docs editor, best purchase I've made in my entire life
>>
Could you recommend me something with good reliability and build quality? Don't really need processing power, just something that works well and wont shit itself for database/spreadsheet work. Good keyboard is a plus, don't need any of that touch screen or backlighting bullshit.

Thanks.
>>
>>54575623
>Who are we
Google's useful idiots
>Who are we attacking exactly?
Other useful idiots.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.