[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not sure if this is a common question, but I'm putting in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: zps1825f8f9.png (295 KB, 439x334) Image search: [Google]
zps1825f8f9.png
295 KB, 439x334
Not sure if this is a common question, but I'm putting in a pop up (using a div with absolute position css, not an actual popup) into my first website that tells internet explorer users to go get a better browser because I couldn't be bothered programming for their shitty mire of outdated incomparability. Lazy yes, so sue me.

>Anyway, question being: How far behind would you say internet explorer is to the other browsers?

The popup says: "Internet Explorer is approximately 2 years behind every other browser on the market. This gives you a subpar experience of my site. I would rather deny you any experience at all than give you a subpar experience."
But I don't actually know how far behind the browser is, so I figure I should check with some smart people; you. And yes, I understand that the newer versions are all up to date with the new fancy css, but even so, I still can't be bothered.
>>
>>54569899
If you know the new versions are up to date, then how can IE be 2 years old? The user's browser is only as old and outdated as they let it become.

What does
>far behind
Mean anyways? A user's version of chrome could well be 2 years older than a Firefox user's updated browser.
>>
>>54570016
By which I mean that all to commonly when you're using and learning about "advanced" css like certain button styling and several sizing css properties, the informational text will have that damning sentence: "Not usable in IE"
>>
>>54569899
>implying people won't just close the pop up and leave your site
Unless you have some seriously amazing content, you're asking too much from your audience senpai-alama-ding-dong
>>
>>54570289
Well it's really that I couldn't give a fuck whether they stay or go. I'm perfectly willing to lose the 1% of users (based on analytics from another thing I did) who use IE if it means I can avoid having to program for them.

And let's be honest, the website is for DnD players. Someone who uses IE isn't going to fit in with them.
>>
Block >ie9 from ie9 it supports most stuff anon. Have a look at ie specific html tags. IE9 is doable.
>>
OP, just support IE 9 at a minimal. If IE 9 is too old to support what you're doing, support IE 10/11 at a minimal.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.