[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever killed a computer because of some dumb mistake?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: broken_computer[1].jpg (37 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
broken_computer[1].jpg
37 KB, 500x501
Have you ever killed a computer because of some dumb mistake? I just killed my portable workstation (an HP Zbook 17) because I was dumb enough to think the USB gave 12V, but for some reason it wasn't enough to power my usb dvd rewriter, so I connected the rewriter to a 12v external psu, which made it short out completely by the way, and then connected it to the USB, completely killing my workstation and the external usb keyboard & mouse as well. Since I'm the second top IT guy in this company I just ordered another one claiming that mine got destroyed in an unavoidable accident while I was conducting a test with memory modules (complete bullshit) but I still feel ashamed.
>>
>>54557341
stuck a fork in a usb and killed it somehow
>>
>>54557341
>destroys his computer with seemingly complex situation involving voltages
>>54557395
>destroys his computer the same way a two year old destroys their life
>>
>>54557341
Tried cleaning the whole pc. The cpu had pins, couldn't put it back and it already broken a pin. That's how I killed my first cpu.
>>
I sneezed when I gutted my first laptop
>>
>>54557341
Yeah

But it was a old Phenom X4 960BE
>>
>>54557874
Pulling a Jeff Goldblum and giving it a cold, nice
>>
Played doctor on a GPU and replaced thermal paste. Killed it somehow because there were lines on the screen. *cried internaly*
>>
File: the_search_continues.png (1 KB, 87x92) Image search: [Google]
the_search_continues.png
1 KB, 87x92
>>54557341
Shutted my computer down at the bootscreen.
It nearly couldn't repair the damage.

Also, managed to fry the BIOS on one of my first computers.
>>
>>54557341
>Have you ever killed a computer because of some dumb mistake?

No, because unlike many people who think they are tech literate I actually am.
>>
File: This kills the ThinkPad.jpg (693 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
This kills the ThinkPad.jpg
693 KB, 1000x750
>>54557341
The drain didn't work
>>
>>54559072
I did that too with my first laptop.
>>
>>54557341
Kek, I've killed my first PC when I was 8. We had one of those first generation DVD players and I've plugged it to the same looking connection on the motherboard or graphics card, I don't remember, and when I've switched it on the whole thing just shorted, I could even see some smoke coming out the case. That was like 15 years ago, my dad still doesn't know that it was my fault.
>>
I hotplugged the RS232 on a wyse terminal and now it just makes a high pitched whine.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u6.jpg (102 KB, 800x716) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u6.jpg
102 KB, 800x716
>>54557341
I did not plug off PSU. i was unscrewing cpu and the gfx card didnt have a backplate. Turns out i dropped a screw on it and it fried.
>>
File: bv.jpg (93 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
bv.jpg
93 KB, 800x800
>>54559534
Also once i was cleaning motherboard with a brush. Turns out i damaged all the pins in socket before i realized it.
>>
File: 1457843994780.jpg (94 KB, 291x273) Image search: [Google]
1457843994780.jpg
94 KB, 291x273
>Building a new computer in the year 2014
>2 GTX 770s, Sabertooth Z87 motherboard, Intel 4770K, many hard drives
>Bought a PWM high airflow fan
>The fan looks top tier
>Plug the fan connector into one of my motherboard's fan headers
>Attempt to boot my $2,300 machine for the first time
>Powers up then abruptly cuts out before POST
>Check all the power connectors
>Nothing wrong
>Attempt to boot again
>Dead. No startup like before
>fuck.jpg
>Check all the connectors again but inspect really carefully
>New PWM fan's power connector looks strange
>Mfw I had picked up a floppy drive power connector (4 pins like PWM) and plugged it into the fan header
>Mfw fried my motherboard and killed my psu
>Never built the computer. Sold the GPUs and used the money to buy a small laptop

A small part of me died that day
>>
I once blew up my power supply by pressing the button for change the voltage from european to american. This little fucker was placed righz under the powerbutton and when I grabbed behind my PC i accidently pushed the wrong one. Following from a flame an explosion and a loud noise I had to buy a new supply^^
>>
>>54557341
>>54557395
>>54559072
>>54559534
>>54559570
>>54559580
Off yourselves.
>>
>>54557341
Yes , My computer froze so i pushed turn of button to force shut down
but hdd was in writing state so it damaged bios somehow and I had to use Diskete to turn on computer.
>>
>>54558039
Giving it a cold, nice what? A beer?
>>
I had a laptop I was trying to repurpose but didn't have the charger so I used a smaller charger wrapped with aluminum foil with the same output and polarity.

It worked for about a week but then it shorted and killed the charging adapter inside the laptop. I replaced the adapter and did the same thing and finally just bought the proper charger when I bought the 3rd charging adapter.
>>
>>54557341
>HP Zbook 17
Ouch, that must have been an expensive loss. But why an external dvd writer, it should have had one integrated?
As a side note, volts are meaningless without amps, you can have 12V at 0.5A or 12V at 6A, both are technically 12V, but the latter is an order of magnitude more power.
>>
I broke my laptop, dunno how.
>>
I haven't cause I'm not retarded. Always triple check what you're doing. Use canned air and a disposable cloth, be gentle. Ground yourself. You don't have to clean EVERYTHING, I tend to just use the air to spin the CPU fan to clear out the dust and I go no farther for example.

Still have a working PC from '98 running Windows 95 in my basement.
>>
>>54561999

spinning the fan the wrong way with air can cause a short from energy being generated
>>
Broke a motherboard trying to push a Corsair 24pin connector in. I learned after that Corsair connectors are poorly designed with bad tolerances.
>>
I melted through the plastic on my monitor, mouse, and keyboard with acetone. They all still work.
Don't ask what I was doing.
>>
>>54559698
Kek, did the same thing in highschool, I knew what will happen, but just couldn't resist pressing the button.
>>
File: better-call-saul-chuck[1].jpg (30 KB, 480x332) Image search: [Google]
better-call-saul-chuck[1].jpg
30 KB, 480x332
>>54561999
>ground yourself
Are you one of those faggots who use an antistatic strap?
>>
>>54562091
No, it cannot.
>>
>>54557341
>the second top IT guy in this company
>>
>>54562266
Geezer probably works for MSI or ASRock...
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.