[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is AMD support on Linux these days?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
How is AMD support on Linux these days?
>>
The performance just doubled with the latest released.and is still crap, that alone should tell you how bad it is.
>>
>>54553612
They have the best open source drivers. There closed drivers are sub-par.
>>
>>54553612
open source drivers > amd proprietary drivers
you have to wait another year to see if games are going to be using Vulkan as extensively as DX12
>>
>>54553612
Dedicated to making the open source driver the standard driver so they can utilize the free autism devs instead of fighting against them. Focus is on new products first with support for older hardware planned eventually(tm). Currently though performance fluctuates between "no" and "pretty trash".

tl;dr might be good in a year or two, not really right now.
>>
>>54553633
huh? if it doubled that'd put it past the proprietary driver
source?
>>
>>54553612
AMDGPU is bringing 60000 lines of code to the kernel 4.7
>>
>>54553612
Terrible

used to use AMD/Ati back in the day and its still terrible today

Just Dualboot or Passthrough
>>
wew lad all these
>muh performance
as someone with an nvidia card I can tell you guys you're acting like fucking kids

AMD supporting the free driver + having wayland support puts their SUPPORT way ahead

also the fucking nvidia package breaks SO MUCH SHIT ALL THE TIME JESUS CHRIST

it breaks Steam most often, which is funny because aside from nvidia, steam is probably the most unstable package I use

I'm absolutely getting an AMD GPU if I ever buy another GPU again

I do have an old 7770 GHz Edition I might switch to despite it being a downgrade from my 560ti
>>
The free drivers are decent.

Thanks to AMD my machine does not run any non-free software these days (apart from the botnet BIOS)
>>
>>54554202
nice! I hope to be that free someday but I don't have a strong enough desire at the moment to remove my non-free stuff
>>
>>54554171
>AMD supporting the free driver + having wayland support puts their SUPPORT way ahead
looooool!
Both Nvidia AND Intel are further along with OpenGL and Vulkan support. Not to mention drivers that don't crash and actually perform similar to Windows.

Nvidia package doesn't break anything it has the best OpenGL libs available on Linux you are fucking retarded.
>>
>>54554171
>nvidia card
Fuck off dickhead AMD Driver support is terrible
>>
File: beretarded.png (38 KB, 1521x222) Image search: [Google]
beretarded.png
38 KB, 1521x222
>>54554246
Whatever you say retarded tripfag
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.