[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SSD recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
Lets discuss what'd be the best ssd to get these days for people who can use it, like in photoshop (drawing) or editing videos.
What would you guys say is a good choice?
>>
is the ssd evo 250gb a good choice? i can personally buy one for 87 euro locally (bulgaria)
>>
Intel SSDs, best SSDs
>>
http://www.emag.bg/solid-state-drive-ssd-240gb-ssd-intel-535-sata-3-6gb-s-ssdsc2bw240h601/pd/DHGNRMBBM/
so this? is it a good pick? 165 leva is around 84 euro here
>>
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Intel-535-Series-240GB/2977vs3500 this benchmark comparsion says the evo shits the intel ssd
>>
File: 1460502113481.png (933 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1460502113481.png
933 KB, 640x640
>SSD for fucking photoshop
>>
>>54544691
You're obviously stupid, try drawing on a slow HDD idiot, noone's talking about editing photos, drawing is where the issues lie
>>
>>54544730
Try using a program that isn't an operating system unto itself if you just want to fucking draw.
>>
>>54544845
like what? Paint tool sai? piss off weeabo
>>
>>54544865
Like use fucking google.
>>
>>54544612
This. As big of jews as intel are their SSDs have never failed on me.

I've used samsung, kingston, patriot, and mushkin SSDs. They've all shit themselves on me in the past, yet all my intel SSDs live on
>>
>>54544588

>purchasing a device that has a expiration date
Good goy
>>
>>54544887

I have a really abused samsung that's hanging in there.
>>
>>54544885
How the fuck are you even supposed to draw in fucking google?
>>
>>54544967
He's trying to tell you to google it, because he never used drawing software before but wants to act like he knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>54544967
>>54545004
Samefag.
>>
File: wertje.png (21 KB, 528x150) Image search: [Google]
wertje.png
21 KB, 528x150
>>54545062
yeah, sure
>>
>>54544588
The 850 EVO series are great. I have like 6 of them across multiple computers. Fast, affordable, and reliable. But I'd you're doing a lot of writing to the ssd than you are reading, invest a bit extra and get either the Samsung pro series, or Intel ssd. Although I've yet to even come close to reaching write limit on any of my ssds, the pro series is meant for production and server loads.

Intel ssds by default aren't the fastest but are the most reliable. I mean shit, even budget tier Crucial ssds are guaranteed to last 5 years if you write up to 50gb of data a day.
>>
http://packet.company/blog/
>So, after over 7PB written the 850 Pro has finally given up the ghost. It's been an amazing run over the past 9 months, and the drive has vastly outlasted its puny 150TB warranty - by a factor of more than 46 times.
>>
>>54544588
Samsung 850 EVO is basically a good choice. But try to get hands on a 500gb model. It will be slightly faster
>>
Has anyone ever done raid 1 on ssds?
>>
>>54545624
Yes. Why do you ask?
>>
>>54545758
is it worth it?
>>
850 EVO uses TLC. Go read it up. Sure it's not as shit as the worst TLC memories but basically it's drastically less durable than SLC/MLC based SSD.

If you want a good SSD, get a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB. It's MLC, uses a SandForce controller and generally is WAY more durable than the 850.

That said, you have to do ridiculous writing if you want to wear out a 850 EVO, but while you are paying the same money for an SSD, why wouldn't you buy the technically better Kingston?

And for those who are going to spout about Kingston cheating on test results: It only applies for the SSDNow models which are TLC trash like the 850 EVO. Behind the story behind that isn't really such a big deal, basically they are selling memory units that are binned in different classes, but which offer nearly similar performance. Basically what anyone after a cheap SSD is looking for.
>>
>>54546084
No just get an actual hdd backup or use the other ssd as backup

Why get two ssds and put them in raid 1 it just makes it slower and double the chance of failure
>>
>>54544602
Using it for about 4 months now when it was ~115 EUR in Serbia, can't complain really.
>>
>>54546505
at 150TB my 1TB 850 evo will most likely last me around 25 years the rate I'm using it right now.

And I do quite a lot of reading and writing of big files.

And thats the worst case scenario, there is a really good chance it will last even longer.

On top of that,the thing tops out pretty much all benchmarks and often even ties with the 850 pro.

And, its relatively cheap.

So I see no reason to go for kingston, in 25 years I will have long replaced it with something else
>>
Get a SanDisk.
Ignore people saying TLC is shit, the write endurance on ~500GB+ drives is just as good as SLC/MLC in tests.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.