[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did they use the GPL license on DOSBox when the OS it emulates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Why did they use the GPL license on DOSBox when the OS it emulates was closed-source and 99.9% of the games you run on it are closed-source, making it impossible to ever do any kind of distribution with a DOS game without violating the license?

There are companies distributing games with DOSBox, like GOG and id, even though the GPL clearly states that a software distribution containing GPL software cannot contain non-free software.
>>
The GPL doesn't cover separate programs shipped with a GPL'ed program. It's the same way you can ship an operating system that runs BSD licensed code on top of the Linux kernel.
>>
>>54539030
I think the GPL2 allows it, but GPL3 wouldn't.
>>
>>54538933
>GPL clearly states that a software distribution containing GPL software cannot contain non-free software.

Not true
>>
>>54538933
OS X ships with GPLed software.
>>
>>54539043
>>54538933
That is not how the GPL works.
>>
i thought dos-box is a dos emulator, not ms-dos emulator. Dos OSes can be open source too, like freedos. But i am probably wrong
>>
>>54542165
Dos box is both an emulator and an implementation of MS-DOS.
>>
dos box have not full support for cmd.com scripts afaik
>>
Wikipedia's definition: "DOSBox is an emulator program that emulates an IBM PC compatible computer running a DOS operating system."

Official site's definition: "An open source DOS emulator for BeOS, Linux, Mac OS X, OS/2, and Windows."

Nobody said that it is MS-DOS emulator. It is just a DOS emulator that runs DOS programs, including MS-DOS programs.
>>
>>54542178
i suspect a lot of the dos bits are coming out of freedos
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.