[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You literally cannot prove this wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 24
File: energy.png (2 MB, 1688x3480) Image search: [Google]
energy.png
2 MB, 1688x3480
You literally cannot prove this wrong.
>>
>>54537816
>natural gas not god tier
>>
Who cares, when petrolium goes scarce shit will hit the fan.
>>
>>54537816
>wind
Fuck off. Nuclear fission until panels aren't shit. Panels until we figure out fusion. Fusion until we discover other exotic forms of getting energy or the cold fusion meme happens to be real.
>>
>>54537840
>natural gas
>renewable
i mean maybe on a large enough timescale, but its more likely you can't read
>>
>>54537816
nuclear isn't renewable
>>
>>54537867

>muh fusion

nigga that shit's permanently 20 years away
>>
File: Sad guts render.png (994 KB, 1000x1016) Image search: [Google]
Sad guts render.png
994 KB, 1000x1016
>>54537881
>20 years was 70 years ago
>>
>>54537816
obligatory what if two workers had died in a nuclear plant accident in the Netherlands?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1383772851
>>
>>54537816
What about garbage? Sure, it emits CO2, but doesn't the reduced landfill size help the earth in countless other ways?

I always thought that the best ways to power a country were as follows;

Rural areas need wind power. Clean, cheap, small land footprint, and quiet. Makes money for the farmer whose land it's on.

Urban areas should use a combination of trash and solar- this way it can reduce the garbage output and improve the sustainability of buildings.

Suburban areas should use wind and solar, and maybe even contribute to the nearby urban areas' trash grid.

This way lots of environmental problems are solved!
>>
>>54537816
>wind is better than solar
This is scientifically wrong faggot.
>>
>>54537917
Wind is neither cheap nor clean.
>>
>>54537816
>solar photovoltaic higher tier than solar solar thermal
>economics? what is that?
>>
>>54537816
>You literally cannot prove this wrong.

Actually by wikipedias definition of nuclear is not renewable

>Renewable energy is generally defined as energy that is collected from resources which are naturally replenished on a human timescale

Spent nuclear fuel rods don't replenish. Nuclear may be clean but its not renewable
>>
>>54537816
>onshore wind top tier
>offshore wind low tier
>tidal meme tier

>>>/out/
>>
>nuclear waste
>good
naice, naice goyim
>>
>>54537857
Shit will hit the windmills
>>
>>54537957
>>Renewable energy is generally defined as energy that is collected from resources which are naturally replenished on a human timescale
>Spent nuclear fuel rods don't replenish.

Renewable doesn't mean your spent fuel must replenish, just that you can get new, unspent fuel from a renewing source. For example, wood is a renewable resource, but burned wood does not magically transform into unburned wood over time. New, unburned wood grows independent of the spent stuff.
>>
>>54537946
You didn't spam your trip several years ago. Fuck off. Also, solar thermal is embarrassingly bad.
>>
>>54537926
For rural areas (especially that of the Great Plains) it is a no-brainer. The construction, maintenance, and disposal of solar panels has environmental side effects of their own, and they consume lots of valuable rare earth metals that we might need down the line. Their relative accessibility also makes them more prone to vandalism and damage from debris and other such acts of nature.

For urban areas, I can agree that there's little reason to use wind when solar is more space efficient for them and can be placed on most rooftops. Suburban areas are YMMV, though. Depends on how the place is laid out and all.

>>54537929
Explain that. How can a mechanical object be unclean? It's a hunk of metal. Some composites.

Cheap is relative as well. They're simple, as far as power plants go. Especially when played to their strengths of being very space efficient and able to quite reliably power small areas. Wind farms are weird and not how the technology should be used.
>>
File: 1024.jpg (229 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
1024.jpg
229 KB, 1024x614
>>54537993
>Also, solar thermal is embarrassingly bad.
>>
>>54537867
>posting outdated tech
Smh tokomak or gtfo

>>54537881
Don't worry I'll make it happen within 50 years its a promise I didn't get a retarded degree for nothing :^)

>>54537906
At least its in Europe. In America people freak out at the sight of the word nuclear

>>54537967
>he doesn't know how nuclear waste is recycled and processed
Kek
>>
>>54537986
That's cool but uranium doesn't grow on trees
>>
>>54537816
solar photovoltiac you need all kinds of polluting rare earth elements and you hardly get back more energy than it took to manufacture.

solar thermal all you need is mirrors.
>>
>>54537872
> implying the universe is gonna stop having supernovas

It's just as "renewable" as anything else that relies on stars.
>>
>>54537986
Uranium is not renewable
>>
>>54538029
>That's cool but uranium doesn't grow on trees
see: >>54538046
> implying the universe is gonna stop having supernovas
>>
>>54538056
And when exactly will that uranium reach us?
>>
>>54538049
>Uranium is not renewable

see: fusion/fission, breeder reactors, natural (geothermal) reactors, deep earth isotope production
>>
>>54538056
I can't really use it after solar system is destroyed though
>>
>>54538046
>>54538056
By that definition, coal is renewable.
>>
>>54538081
>>54538083
>>
>>54537957
>>54538029
>>54538049

nuclear != uranium
nuclear reactors can run on literally any matter.
bombs are nuclear reactors that run on plutonium, not uranium.
modern reactor designs often use Thorium.

The sun is a nuclear reactor that runs on Hydrogen, then progressively heavier elements, up to Iron.

Really what you're saying is "matter isn't renewable", which is true only in a very antiquated view of what "matter" and "renewable" mean. In this view, literally nothing (matter or energy) is renewable.
>>
>nuclear fission
>above meme tier
>>
Redpill me on offshore wind turbines
>>
>>54538148
>The sun is a nuclear reactor that runs on Hydrogen
The sun is a fusion reactor, "nuclear" usually means fission
>>
>>54538148
>The sun is a nuclear reactor that runs on Hydrogen, then progressively heavier elements, up to Iron.
And after iron can no longer continue fusion, since it would require more energy than what is gained from iron fusion
>>
>>54538148
>nuclear reactors can run on literally any matter.
dumbass
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fissile_material
>>
>>54538173
>The sun is a fusion reactor, "nuclear" usually means fission
agreed, but only because we haven't built a fusion reactor

pure fission in a closed system is indeed nonrenewable, but as long as there's a fusion reactor SOMEWHERE nearby (like...1AU nearby?) you will not run out of heavy elements

the same could be said of wind and solar power. Both are only "renewable" thanks to the great free fusion reactor in the sky
>>
>>54538148
I'm sorry I'm not very educated on nuclear fission but could you give me an example of a non uranium nuclear reactor that produces more 1 MW.
>>
>>54537816
Onshore wind is terrible.
- Raises local air temperatures by 3-4 degrees c
- spreads seed, fertiliser, insecticides and herbicides
- kills local bird life
- loud as fuck
- ugly as fuck
- competes with local flora

Straight up the ONLY place you could put onshore wind without it being a massive problem is the middle of a desert. that's it.
Anywhere else is actually worse than burning coal.
>>
File: 500px-Fat_man.jpg (25 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
500px-Fat_man.jpg
25 KB, 500x332
>>54538210
sure, pic related

produced about 88 Terjoules in < 1 second, so at least 100 TW.
>>
>>54537816
>onshore wind
lol bird killing, shadow casting perfect for epilepsy, self destruct.

>nuke
lol enjoy your meltdown. evacuate everything you have. oh right you can't.

>geothermal
enjoy your daily earthquakes

>hydroelectric
just flood everything. it will be fine.

>biomass
lets plant sugar cane and corn with slave labor so we can burn it to make electricity

>solar - photovoltaic
lol let's put it on our roads.

>offshore wind
bird killing, self destruct.

>solar thermal
let's heat some oil to heat up some water.
i don't know about you, but this is cost effective.

>not posting the molten salt tower which will still provide power at night

>tidal
totally meme tier.
>>
>>54537867
20 years away.
wait for it.
>>
File: 1462255691153.png (1 MB, 990x761) Image search: [Google]
1462255691153.png
1 MB, 990x761
>people pretending to care about birds

Really? Who the fuck cares about birds, more of them die by crashing into each other lmao
>>
>>54538234
Renewable energy typically implies that the energy can be converted into a useful form, typically electricity.
>>
>>54538234
Lol but that's not a reactor
>>
>>54537993
Sounds like you live in shit area
>>
>>54538203
>Both are only "renewable" thanks to the great free fusion reactor in the sky
Both are renewable because neither sunshine nor wind is gonna run out before the all lives on earth die out.
>>
>>54538256
>54538256
So I can build a windfarm in your back yard famalam?
>>
>>54538268
>Lol but that's not a reactor

>powered by nuclear reaction
>not a reactor

okay, I'm done with b8 thread here. saged
>>
>>54537881
>nigga that shit's permanently 20 years away

Well, that's an improvement then, because I've been hearing it's perpetually 50 years away for most of my life.

You know what's funny? 50 years isn't very long. 20 years is laughably short. It probably doesn't seem that way to most of you, but really, consider how much you *actually* accomplished in the last year, multiply that by 20, and consider how much more monumental the task of making a fundamental physical and industrial achievement is.
>>
>>54538247
>geothermal
>earthquakes
geothermal extracts heat from below-surface levels, if anything it would reduce the likehood of earthquakes (it doesn't, because the effect is too minor)
>>
>>54538298
sure, go ahead. i'll keep 10% of the profits. deal?
>>
>>54537986
>burned wood does not magically transform into unburned wood over time.

Uh, actually, that's *exactly* what happens.

The mass of a tree is almost entirely made from carbon pulled from the air. CO2 in, O2 out, leaving the C in the plant.

Regardless, that has absolutely *nothing* to do with the parent quote:

>Renewable energy is generally defined as energy that is collected from resources which are naturally replenished on a human timescale

Nuclear material doesn't replenish on a human timescale. I suppose you could argue that it 'replenishes' in the fact that, ultimately, it is spewed forth from stars over the course of millions of years, but that's not a human timescale.
>>
>>54538356
No you don't get to keep anything, just the noise and dead birds.

We're force majeure on the land mate.
>>
>>54537816
separate nuclear to fission and fusion
put fusion in god tier, fission in low tier
>>
>>54538371
Not that guy, but we do literally have thousands of years of nuclear fuel here.

It's renewable enough in that by the time we've exhausted it - if we haven't yet made our way to the stars to grab more, we're fucked anyway.
>>
IEC Fusion is the future.

Hydroelectric are shit tier since they biologically isolate the ecosystems upstream.
>>
>>54538371
>>Renewable energy is generally defined as energy that is collected from resources which are naturally replenished on a human timescale
>Nuclear material doesn't replenish on a human timescale.

More nuclear material is being produced by the universe each second, than humanity could use in its species lifetime. This is true even if you include only the small fraction of the universe's matter in earth's light cone. This argument is nonsensical.
>>
>>54538413
>renewable
>by the time we've exhausted it
hm
>>
>>54538402
Fusion is pipe dream, it will always be '50 years away'
Fission is now.

Even Thorium Fission is going to happen before Fusion.
>bbut muh Thorium meme
No longer a meme and no longer needs pushing - China is investing very heavily in it and will have commercial plants operating by 2025, they saw it as the only way out of their smog mess - so we all win.
>>
>>54538426
On the earth, autist-kun. Not 3000 light-years away. The earth doesn't create new fissile fuel.
>>
>>54538441
You're arguing semantics mate, I'm done with you.
>>
>Wind
>God tier
stopped reading there
>>
>>54538471
Sorry dude, didn't know it was okay to twist language to fit our own views
>>
>>54537816
>waste you literally can not get rid off unless you blast it into the sun
>god tier
>>
>>54538468
>On the earth, autist-kun.
keep moving those goalposts anon

again, if renewable means "on earth, the closed system", neither wind nor solar apply
>>
>>54538518
Yes, they do. Wind and sunshine will exist for as long as the earth does.
>>
>>54538524
>Yes, they do. Wind and sunshine will exist for as long as the earth does.
So will the fucking universe. For quite a while afterward as well
>>
>>54538542
Yes, but the earth will not.
>>
>>54538553
the earth won't exist for as long as the earth does?

anon, please choose from the following
1: non-native english speaker (i forgive you)
2: bait (i do not)
>>
>>54538566
The earth will not exist for as long as the universe does.
Thank your for playing.
>>
>>54538581
>The earth will not exist for as long as the universe does.
what's your point senpai

wind and solar power will run out when/before the earth does, and therefore is finite

nuclear material never will, the universe is full of it, and therefore is (functionally) infinite

I'm perfectly happy with calling a power source that will last until entropic heat death "renewable," more than one tied to the lifetime of a single planet
>>
>>54538581
>Thank your for playing.
ah, so it's (1.) then.
you**

check out https://www.duolingo.com/ pajeet
>>
>>54538384
>No you don't get to keep anything
In that case, fuck you. I've already leased out around 80ha of my land to run a small wind park (cheap, but for a good cause, so why not)
>noise
Non-issue. Childs playing on the street are louder. Wind brushing through some trees is louder. Don't build generators using technology from the early 80s.
>dead birds
Survival of the fittest. At least they die fast, unlike the unlucky kids that live (or should I say die, of leukemia) around La Hauge.
>>
>>54538632
You're so fucking dumb.
>>
>>54538632
>wind and solar power will run out when/before the earth does
What? Those will be around for as long as the universe is, pal.
>>
>>54538518
>keep moving those goalposts anon
No one moved the goalpost, you were just playing on the wrong side of the field.
>>
apparently southampton gets geothermal energy, is that what that eyesore near soton central is?
>>
>>54537816
solar panels are shit tier at their current efficiency
>>
>Nuclear
>The most expensive energy source by a mile
>Takes decades to get a reactor online
>requires 100% subsidizing by the Government because it's so expensive.

Nuclear is shit, I legitimately don't get contrarian circlejerking over an outdated technology meme.
>>
>>54538426
Uhh, you do realize the world only has around 15 years of material for nuclear power if only the US alone was 100% nuclear right?
>>
>>54538500
Dump it into some subduction zone. By the time it hits the surface again (if it ever does), it will be harmless.
>>
>>54538843
[Citation needed]
>>
>>54537816
All current forms of solar are utterly terrible
>expensive
>inefficient
>require toxic rare earth elements
>increase local temperatures massively
>>
>>54538683
>unlike the unlucky kids that live (or should I say die, of leukemia) around La Hauge.
Survival of the fittest.
I don't care is some pleb subhuman kids die.
I do care about earths ecosystem though, I'd much rather poison some piece of shit not even quite humans than innocent wildlife.
>>
>>54538884
>Solar
>Expensive

>Continued use of fossil fuels will take 60T out of the world economy
?
>>
File: cup.jpg (29 KB, 626x720) Image search: [Google]
cup.jpg
29 KB, 626x720
>>54537816
>biomass
>not low tier
>>
>>54538886
But the reason you keep the ecosystem alive is to keep pleb subhumans alive.
The ecosystem is important to humans, not anyone else.
The earth will recover when the humans are all dead.
>>
>>54538414
If you mean the Farnsworth, it's a dead end, man. It's cool, but you're not going to get good energy out of it.

If you mean the polywell, shit looks real promising.
>>
Come on, just because JayZ made it doesn't mean Tidal is bad!
>>
People should find ways to significantly consume less.
>>
>>54538886
>I do care about earths ecosystem though
And you realize how much crap (i.e. "minor" amounts of plutonium) the La Hauge reprocessing facility pumps into the ocean? Killing some birds is sure doing so much more damage to the ecosystem.
>>
>>54538980
People should find ways to efficiently store energy. There's enough of it, just not at the right time. Look at germany, they're "selling" their energy at a negative price at nighttime in summer.
>>
>>54538413
>Not that guy, but we do literally have thousands of years of nuclear fuel here.

Yet again, irrelevant to the point.

>More nuclear material is being produced by the universe each second

Irrelevant to the point.

Seriously, I have no idea what's wrong with you. Nuclear doesn't qualify as renewable energy. I'm 100% for nuclear, but you guys are still literally retarded.
>>
>>54538015
Great, now you just need to get all that energy and move it a billion fucking miles away.
>>
>>54537816
Nuclear will last another 200 years at current rates.. probably not god-teir bb. Unless we switch to thorium but thats got a lot of upfront costs.
>>
>>54538338
stop saying shit you don't understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_energy

look.
i even googled it for you.
>>
>>54538384
and this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIe0iUtelQ
>>
>>54538524
wind will not exist if there is no sunshine.
just saiyan.
>>
>>54538471
Sorry mate but semantics are pretty important when you are discussing the definition of a word or phrase.

It is pretty clear that what is meant by "renewable energy" is that the energy is produced by something that isn't consumed in the production.

Sure, wind will stop before the the last supernova, but the wind I use to power my turbine isn't exhausted while the uranium/plutonium/thorium used to power a nuclear reactor is.
>>
>>54538808
chinks are shitting them out at low price, no one cares about efficiency. just quantity over quality.
>>
>>54538926
Solar panel is expensive yet they produce less energy
So yeah
>>
Geothermal is strongly linked to earthquakes because it is greatest found in volcanic regions, which are also generally near fault lines.

It's not that geothermal energy causes earthquakes though, that's just retarded, it's generally tapping into super heated water reservoirs and using the steam to drive turbines.
>>
Solar doesn't work without the tax subsidies and governments forcing utilities to pay out net metering on top of those subsidies. Even though the price per watt has imploded like a neutron star compared to 10 years ago it's still just not efficient enough even given the lower price.

If the price per watt does another decade worth of dropping it's actually still too low to justify.

The only solar systems that can make money without subsidization are very large thermal plants that the environmentalists hate anyway.
>>
>>54539402
>300m distance to peoples homes
>in the US, which has huge uninhabited areas
The american levels of stupidity never fail to amaze me.
>>
>>54539215
high voltage power transmission is relatively lossless
>>
>>54538830
>requires 100% subsidizing by the Government because it's so expensive.
only because plebs think nuclear is bad, due to private companies being cheap and taking shortcuts
>>
>>54539383
>3.4 on the Richter scale
oh wow, it's fucking nothing
>>
>>54539498
>it's still just not efficient enough even given the lower price.
I can have a solar setup to power my 1kw fucking machine 24/7 for under $10k out of pocket
>>
File: 1462918020766.jpg (48 KB, 466x601) Image search: [Google]
1462918020766.jpg
48 KB, 466x601
>>54537881
Don't worry I'm working on it. Give me like 3 years my nigga.
>>
>>54538830
You are wrong and literally retarded. Don't blame your shit tier third world government on nuclear.

t. France
>>
>>54539484
>Basel, Switzerland
>10,000 seismic events in the first 6 days, measuring up to 3.4 on the Richter scale
>volcanic
I see you're an environmentalist. How did I know? Because you have no fucking clue about safe electricity generation.
>>
File: 1462265551990.jpg (492 KB, 984x1312) Image search: [Google]
1462265551990.jpg
492 KB, 984x1312
Any Renewable Energy Engineers here? is it a good degree if this stuff is what I'm interested in and there's a job waiting for me as soon as I'm done? Can I go into a Nuclear engineering master's degree from it?
>>
File: electricity_tiers_fixed.png (2 MB, 1688x3480) Image search: [Google]
electricity_tiers_fixed.png
2 MB, 1688x3480
>>54537816
Hey anon, I fixed it for you.

Note that if anyone wants to split nuclear into fission and fusion, then fusion goes straight to meme tier (because lol nofunding) while fission stays in god tier. And tidal might be a meme, but lets be honest: using the moon to generate energy would be cool.
>>
>>54539854
They have no volcanoes now but as they have active fault lines a volcano could be spawned in the future.

Also 3.4 is fucking nothing. I wouldn't even wake up for it.
>>
Wind is absolute shit and so is solar. The chinese have dropped all construction toward them.

In most cases it takes 30 years to pay off, which is laughable. Useless to 99% of applications

Get redpilled /pol/. Alternative energy is a scam. The smart grid is a lie. A barrel of petroleum can produce more energy than a fucking solar panel would in a year.
>>
Hydro should really be God Tier.
>>
>>54540188
Nope. It's too situational, has environmental and space efficiency issues with the flooding involved, and dam collapse is a thing.
>>
>>54539971
You forgot geothermal, which should be high tier.
>>
>>54540263
Unfortunately we can't all live in Iceland.
>>
>>54540281
We can't all live by a dammable river or a seafloor shallow enough to litter with enough windmills to power anything substantial either.
Meanwhile an *entire country* is running almost entirely on geothermal power *right now*.
In other words, your point?
>>
>>54537816
except you're wrong retard
nuclear isn't renewable, it's (with proper measures) clean, there's a big difference
hydroelectric isn't exactly ideal either for many locations, damming can seriously fuck up ecosystems
photovoltaic solar is still so pricey and inefficient but as with most technology, with investment over time time it will improve.
solar thermal isn't meme tier either, it's actually very viable for heating in the winter if they can bring the costs down. The reason being unlike other forms, you can store heat relatively well en masse, unlike electricity.
it's not nearly ready for prime time or ideal for many places but it does have it's uses
Lookup Drake Landing Solar Community, they've done it relatively well, of course costs and scaling are still two huge issues they've yet to fix to make it viable.
>>
>>54540308
Just checked, and Iceland gets most of its power from hydro. Huh. Anyway, my assessment of geothermal was mostly based on earthquake risk. If that turns out to be not as much of an issue, swap it with offshore wind or something.

One day I'm going to get bored enough to rank all these power sources on all relevant metrics I can think up (deaths, land usage, carbon emissions, availability, cost, reliability...) and get some real answers to this shit.
>>
>>54537816
Hydroelectric is top tier (t. Norway)
Biomass is meme tier.
>>
>>54538301
Nigger you know full well what this thread is about
>>
>>54537816
Where the fuck is Thermoelectric?
>>
>>54538426
Great. So now how do you propose we collect this material? We might want to try hitting light speed travel first
>>
Solar power is perfectly fine and even great but it's just not used enough because it's expensive as shit to set up and to really compete with petroleum it would need to be harvested in a Lagrange point or something and laser'd back down to earth.
>>
>>54537816
Onshore wind, Geothermal and Hydro make up something like 90% of New Zealand's energy production.
>>
>>54537961
>>54537967
these

>>54538018
>nuclear waste is recycled and processed
yeah, the tech to sustainably do this is so much of a work in progress, it is in the state of "we have no clue yet if we can ever make this technology resource efficient - as in, it hasn't been determined whether it will ever be possible to make nuclear waste neutral without using more energy in the process than the stuff produced over its lifespan"
so, please, fuck off to star trek.
>>
>>54540423
Nuclear, geothermal, biomass, and solar thermal are all thermoelectric plants. What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>54539971
>no 20 years away tier
>>
>>54537816
Nuclear isn't renewable energy. (Not hating on it)
>>
>>54537917
are you an idiot? that creates dioxins, which are _literally_ agent orange
>>
>>54537816

The objective best sources are in order: fission > solar > wind

Because the sun uses fission, if we can do this on earth we have minimal loss. Solar is second best because we use fission energy from the sun with(depending on panel efficiency) a little loss. After that comes wind, because wind is indirectly powered by the sun, this means less efficiency. OP's image is shit.
>>
>>54538005
Short answer is the Rare-earth magnet used in the wind turbine generators, its incredibly polluting to produce
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150402-the-worst-place-on-earth
>>
>>54541026
magnets are used to generate electricity.
not just your wind turbines.
>>
>>54540836
agreed, it’s as renewable as fuel. However, I personally do think that it’s the best power source as long as we don’t have powerful enough renewable power sources, considering the waste, pollution and quantity of energy it creates compared to the other power sources.

Wind is reaching its limits, biomass is polluting, hydroelectric, when too much used, can destroy the bio-environment of rivers. However, solar energy can still improve a lot.

Also, I’ve always wondered why we don’t create rhodium-based power plants
>fission at atmospherical pressure
>and low temperature
>can easily be automatically stopped if it goes out of control without needing the intervention of a human
>can be literally created out of sea salt
>which means almost infinite amount of rhodium
>very few that can either be re-used or doesn’t last long as nuclear waste
>no need to open the core, as the fuel and the waste are both liquid
I might be wrong on a couple of points, but from what I remember it would be way more secure and way easier to control than the average nuclear power plant we currently have.
>>
>>54538203
>but as long as there's a fusion reactor SOMEWHERE nearby (like...1AU nearby?) you will not run out of heavy elements

Lol you dont know how heavy elements are formed do you? Anything heavier than Iron are formed by super novas and hyper novas. That is the only way. Something like our sun will never go super nova.

Once a star starts producing Iron, it has a very short amount of life left. Only the power of a super nova and hyper nova have the power to produce elements heavier than iron. Thats why most elements after iron are so rare.

Once the sun is done with hydrogen and starts fusing helium, thats when itll turn into a red giant. It will never get to the point of fusing oxygen or silicon unless it collides with another star. We will never get anything resources from the sun that can fuel fission reactors.
>>
File: 1463107818877.webm (514 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1463107818877.webm
514 KB, 1280x720
>>54538234
>>
File: 1463107428432.webm (3 MB, 1040x584) Image search: [Google]
1463107428432.webm
3 MB, 1040x584
>>
>>54537816
>Believing government subsidized wind farms that have such a poor power to operating space ratio that it actually makes farmland more expensive and is one of the reasons the agricultural industry is suffering is on the same level as the power of the atom
Wow fucking pleb holy shit
>>
File: 1457194317680.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457194317680.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
File: 1457199041410.webm (2 MB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
1457199041410.webm
2 MB, 800x400
>>54542731
>>
File: 1457532658857.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457532658857.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>54542748
>>
File: tumblr_o0gh00OQdE1u9x6d5o1_400.jpg (126 KB, 400x264) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0gh00OQdE1u9x6d5o1_400.jpg
126 KB, 400x264
>>54542765
>>
Water splitting using a manganese complex catalyst used in plants is god tier. Producing ammonia from the splitted hydrogen to store the energy, and using sodium amide as a catalyst to regenerate hydrogen on the fly for applications
>>
>>54542515
Trinity?
>>
>>54542837
Yeah I think so. This is tsar.
>>
>>54542869
it could have completely wiped out paris
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (924 KB, 448x251) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
924 KB, 448x251
>>54542878
If they could manage getting it on a plane and flying it over there. IIRC the test had a fraction of the original yield because it was too heavy and the radiation would have been unmanageable. Impractical, but incredible.
>>
>>54538030
Meme argument. Multiple studies have been done on this and the energy argument is moot at this point.
>>
Offshore produces much more power than onshore wind
>>
>>54537929
What am I reading lol, wind is alot more efficient than solar you retard. Take some actual classes before reading blogs and posting on here
>>
>>54538213
<citation needed>
>>
>>54539053
You know, there's a water surface between it, what's beneath it usually doesn't exist.
>>
>>54538046
>>54538056
Well, if we look at scales of time and space that simply don't matter at all to the discussion at hand like you just did, it's still not a renewable ressource, since yes, the universe WILL stop having supernovas at some point in the future. It's called heat death.
>>
File: 1455132325507.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1455132325507.png
296 KB, 649x649
>>54537816
>nuclear
>renewable
>>
>>54538845
That's the stupidest thing I ever heard.

A subduction zone is not some "this machine kills everything" shredder that just gobbles up things you put there in seconds. Whatever you put there will stay for ages in reach of any ground water currents, hydrothermal vents and thus needs protection and constant maintenance.
Good luck with that in an active subduction zone.
If you could manage this there, you certainly could manage the waste in any other location, too.
>>
>>54542515
that is so amazing. Terrifying, but amazing.
>>
>>54543680
watch this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtH0EDLcbwA Literally birthed Greenpeace because it was so insane.
>>
>hydroelectric
>top tier

just look at venezuela and think about how unreliable it is. It also fucks up whole ecosystems.
>>
>renewable
>nuclear
You Dip.
>>
>>54540153
How in the fuck is there only one guy in this thread who is speaking any sense?

All of you armchair philosophers are only engaging in this bullshit energy economy theorizing because you were raised by a public education system that taught you no respect for the fossil fuel industry that is actually doing the work of keeping you alive at a price you can afford. Nuclear was crushed in its promising infancy by the same loony Earth-First-Humans-Last environmentalists, who are the same jackasses pushing all the other "renewable" energies mentioned in this thread, which have been joke-tier industrial welfare queens since their inception. Pro-tip: if your tech had any real value, it wouldn't require decades of government subsidy life support. If your tech had any real value, people would voluntarily pay for it, instead of being forced by the tax man to be partake in subsidizing failed tech.

All the bullshit bloviating in this thread needs the reality check that this book can provide you: "The Moral Case For Fossil Fuels" by Alex Epstein. I dare you to red pill on this.
>>
>>54544699
Except that solar is getting cheaper on much rapider pace than any other power source, with the price of solar having dropped 60% in the last 4 years alone.

At this rate, solar will be cheaper than new coal power plants even without subsidies in a few years.
>>
>>54539630
Thanks Illya.
>>
>>54537816
>renewable
>nuclear
stopped right there
>>
>>54546579
And what will happen when the metal deposits where the panels are made from run out?
>>
>>54544699
>Pro-tip: if your tech had any real value, it wouldn't require decades of government subsidy life support.

Man, computers sure are useless because of all that government subsidy and development in the '50s and '60s. Fuck those magic boxes, right grampa?
>>
>>54539942
>renewable energy engineer
That sounds like a fuckiung scam

Get a regular engineering degree with a minor in whatever you like and work for a renewables company
>>
File: Chart_World-Con-Uncon-1.jpg (774 KB, 2848x1946) Image search: [Google]
Chart_World-Con-Uncon-1.jpg
774 KB, 2848x1946
All renewable energy is meme energy

The only reason industrial civilization hasn't collapsed into thermonuclear oil wars is because of fracking and oil sands
>>
File: disgust-014.gif (381 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
disgust-014.gif
381 KB, 640x360
>nuclear
>renewable

>wind
>god tier
>>
>>54537816
In North America, there's more electric power generated by wind than nuclear now. It's generating more jobs, too.
>>
Wind and solar sucks ass for anything that isn't a car battery.

Atmospheric energy ftw
>>
>>54546957
>unreliable sources of power
>base load
>ever
This is basic math nigger, go read a book.
>>
>>54537816

A thread that's not computer related?

Am I on /g/?
>>
File: LFTR_TMRgraphic.png (123 KB, 1384x1263) Image search: [Google]
LFTR_TMRgraphic.png
123 KB, 1384x1263
everyone here should read up on gen 4 thorium reactors.

for developing countrys that dont have the money to invest in solar plants and wind farms, this is the best alternative.

No change of meltdown (that shit is already molten)
No usable material for bombs
<1% waste thats only 300 years radioactive
99% efficiency unlike uranium
no C02 emission(or other gasses)
Theirs a ton of thorium all over the world.

But no everyone is anti nuclear
>>
>>54548901
what's the catch?
>>
>>54549579
thorium is a molten salt, it requires more maintenance of the plant. still better than non-nuclear though
>>
>Nuclear
>renewable
>>
>>54549579
the salts will eat away the holding tank so you need a material that can last 20 years with 300+ degrees salts and radiation. they are looking for that now.
>>
>>54537816

renewable is a meta-meme within itself.

Coal or bust faggot.
>>
>>54548901
Thorium is a meme, but it's a meme I can get behind on. Don't bet on it however, the costs of making one are high and not giving back muh bombs is a no go for burgerland.
>>
File: 0,,16445664_303,00.jpg (53 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
0,,16445664_303,00.jpg
53 KB, 700x394
>Nuclear
>renewable
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.