[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Getting a CCNA worth it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: ccna_routing_switching.png (157 KB, 1386x600) Image search: [Google]
ccna_routing_switching.png
157 KB, 1386x600
I've got an associate degree in Computer Networking, is it worth it to sit the CCNA?
>>
I've impressed a few bosses by telling them I'm half-way done with my CCNA but when I told an actual IT guy this he just sighed and said that CCNA's are a relic of the past.

He said that having a CCNA was still relevant if I were still looking for a job... in the 90's, but right now all the money is in software development/cloud computing.
>>
If you want to do networking as a career that specializes in Cisco hardware and software, yes.
>>
It's like everything else in the world now. More expensive education needed in order to get a job even though for some jobs the extra education is worthless in order to do said job. Other words; money and time down the damn drain. IT is changing, the actual hands on dealing with computers and networking gear is being outsourced and has become more IT manager/paperwork based instead. personally I like to do hands on work. I hate doing paper work and being stuck with bureaucratic bullshit.
>>
>>54536979
Won't be long you'll have to have a damn college degree to work at Mcdonalds/Walmart. I don't look down on those who do work at those places, just saying that way shit is going now. Some states they pay like 10 per hr. vs min wage of 7.25. Can't fault anyone for working there ass off.
>>
>>54536979
Yeah, the whole more manger/paperwork shit is right on. I've got certs in CompTIA A+/Network+,Cisco, and am a certified Windows System Admin but the reason I not employed in the IT field is cause everyone wants IT Managers (least at my company) and I refuse to be pulled into a managerial role. More stress and bullshit is something I don't want. The actual IT "doers" type job is what I want. Those don't come available all that much and when they do, its like, must have this, must have that, blah, blah, even though the job don't need all that in order to do it. Now I could leave but shit I've got 11 yrs in already. Need 30 total before I can retire. I put in to much time to throw it all away.
>>
File: IMG_20151103_160918552.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151103_160918552.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>54536631
Idk if you're still around but I pop up once in awhile. I work at Cisco (started out of college) and have loved every day of it for the last two years since I started. I can answer any questions, but as a non-sperg I can tell you that an NA, good knowledge, and not being retarded can go a long way toward locking you in an easy 60k starting salary as a network guy at any number of reputable shops where you can get real skills/experience under your belt for bigger and better fish. I'm not on the network engineer side, but I do hold an NP/DP and am sitting for a written IE within a month if I can get multicast down right.
>>
Yes, certifications are everything in IT. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean jack shit, you need to be tested to a standard to make sure you can do the job - hence "certification." Get as many as you can too.

Certs > associates. But you probably need both these days.
>>
>all the butthurt in this thread
yes getting a ccna will help. its not expensive and you can get it in a few weeks.
remember certs are just for padding your resume and to help get interviews
>>
>>54538003

There's a whole slew of reasons why an employer would like you to have certifications and a degree - one of which is liability. If you're touching a production network, it's nice to be able to say 'we know he screwed up, but we hired him because he had a cert that alleges he knows what he's doing.' Otherwise your screw up also leads to the question 'why was he touching production in the first place, he says he learned CLI configuration from an image board filled with asian cartoons' and then you're not the only one getting fired.
>>
>>54536875
I feel better about my software development course. now.

Still want to get my CCNA and CEH in the hopes ASD would have me.
>>
>>54538052
Also "Yeah, he fucked up and it was a pretty bad fuck up, But imagine how bad the guy without the certs would have fucked up."
>>
>>54538128

Pretty much this. In security it's not that big of a deal since that's still a lot of wild-west with how we deal with APTs these days (and all the dumb shit my customers do in production yet somehow still maintain PCI compliance). But for classical networking... I'm sorry but I don't care how great of a whiz-bang programmer you are, a CCNA is pretty vendor agnostic and you better know how the basics work if you want to be in networking. I don't care that you can program and want to do work in the cloud or development, you still should get when to use a /30 instead of a /27.

More esoteric certifications... sure, those are only for certain types. But the NA isn't actually a difficult thing and anyone who goes 'oh it pigeon holes you because its vendor specific' is just an idiot who fell for CompTIA's shekel stealing ruse. Full disclosure, I'm still >>54537908 that guy
>>
>>54536875
that guys also a fucking retard, if there is one thing I learned about my networking peers is they will gladly steer you down the wrong path based on shit other networkfags told them.

I got told for 8 months straight that the network+ cert is a meme and not worth your time. I get it anyway just for resume fodder and guess what? I got a job that week, after months of practically begging people give me a job, that one little cert helped out. My friend has A+, NET+, SEC+ and CASP and has a 80,000k a year job in japan. He got insanely lucky and this is unlikely but he also survived a massive firing spree only because everyone else had one cert while he studied and got several.
>>
>>54536882
cisco teaches you how to configure routers and switches that arent cisco proprietary first usually, then they'll shill you on their products second.
>>
Its not really worth it.
CCNA is just one out of 10 criteria employers want in an average IT job.

I should have become laborer so im not expected to have 6 years combined education and work experience for an entry level position that pays jack shit.
>>
>>54538510

0 months experience - 58k
18 months experience later, same company - 147k

i had a CCNA doe
>>
>>54538535
where do you live?

Theres no 0 exprience networking jobs with that much pay here.
>>
>>54538072

Dude if you think software development is any less likely to get outsourced than networking you're mad.
>>
>>54538594
58K was in NC, now in the greater NYC area

I have friends who work for Riot and others who work for hedge funds and other enterprises doing NOC type work - none make under 55 or have above a CCNA.
>>
>>54537054
>Won't be long you'll have to have a damn college degree to work at Mcdonalds/Walmart.

Robots will probably do it soon.
>>
>>54538616
Maybe I should fly to the states where my CCNA will be worth something.
>>
File: IMG_20150310_133612900.jpg (2 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150310_133612900.jpg
2 MB, 2432x4320
Before anyone tries to call bullshit, my old lab environment.

The moral is: skip anything CompTIA, get a CCNA. It won't hurt you and 295 is cheap compared to being unemployed
>>
>>54538616
what is NOC work?
>>
>>54538703
Network operations center. Basically if the server team needs a vlan stood up or something needs to be racked/stacked/troubleshooted/changed, your department gets a ring.

Great place to get experience before you get into the real work of design/validation/architecture.

Full disclosure I'm still >>54537908
>>54538535
>>54538667
>>
>>54536631
If you're cool with paying a fee to be allowed to work.
>>
File: IMG_1374.jpg (196 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1374.jpg
196 KB, 800x600
>>54538510
have you even seen the blue collar job market?

"6 YEARS EXPERIENCE NO EXCEPTIONS"

to be a fucking entry level paid roadside arborist (cut tree limbs with a chainsaw)
>>
>>54538786

How about 'I need to know you're at a certain level of competency, so please prove it by taking this exam.'

Go vote for bernie while I make responsible and realistic progress. Networks are no joke - kid who doesn't know what he's doing unplugs the wrong thing and takes down a fat part of a data center (I've seen this in larger companies than you'd expect)

friggin brazillians
>>
>>54538786
think of it as an investment, you retard.
>>
>>54538814
Then why are so many people talking about a "trades shortage"?
Is that also a Hebrew meme?
>>
>>54538817
>please prove it by taking this exam.
is fine
>please prove it by spending $300 taking this exam and getting results
is not.

I'm all for standardized testing but that shit needs to be free, open design, and run by nonprofits.
>>
>>54538838

There is a trades shortage. The problem is that nobody fucking trains and it's impossible to get an apprenticeship.
>>
>>54538838
if trade spots are getting hard to fill (because millenials didnt step up apparently) then wouldnt that be more motivation get these certifications to show these employers that you're here, you're queer, and you want to take that empty spot?
>>
>>54538857

You think Cisco turns a fat profit from those exams? We sell security licenses for 10K - we don't want your $295. If the exam was free, you'd just take it until you passed. It's administered by Pearson VUE, who takes the lion's share of the fee.

If you want to stand a chance at making 60K in networking, an associates level certification isn't crazy given it costs less than your average college credit.
>>
>>54538388

>80,000k

Bullshit.
>>
>>54538857
I agree with this, theirs definitely a racket or "monopoly" of sorts that CCNA and comptia has cucked us into with these vendor certs, however talking about it on a cartoon image macro sharing website isnt going to do anything about it.
>>
File: 183656955-M.jpg (131 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
183656955-M.jpg
131 KB, 600x450
>>54538887
(For you)

protip: move to camp lejeune, NC if you have a CCNA, they are so desperate for networkers that they are hiring best buy wash out losers with nothing but a braindumped A+ cert
>>
>>54538885
>You think Cisco turns a fat profit from those exams? We sell security licenses for 10K
probably 20+ exams taken for every license sold, though.

>It's administered by Pearson VUE, who takes the lion's share of the fee.
I agree that this is the real issue.
>>
>>54538891

Let me give you some insight. You can't install certain Cisco technologies unless you have a certain level of expertise on staff - expertise shown by having someone with a certain cert on payroll. You go, thats hogwash - Cisco makes money off the sale of the gear and making someone take an exam they sell.

Well, that sounds true - until you realize you paid money for a cert that now is mandatory to hire someone who holds it (protecting the value of the cert).

Many partners hire CCIEs just to keep them on staff to qualify for bigger discounts - this is how certs stay valuable in the market. Everyone needs them on payroll.
>>
>>54538885
"we dont want your $295"

"we"

getting a bit narcissistic m8
>>
>>54538900

I'm in Jacksonville already. Can't get hired on base because of a computer fraud charge when I was 19.
>>
File: 1458105557436.jpg (195 KB, 700x865) Image search: [Google]
1458105557436.jpg
195 KB, 700x865
who just deleted their post about living in j-ville? i'm willing to be you can still hold a clearance with theft on your record
>>
>>54538881
I actually looked into apprenticeship programs here, only to realise the support kicks in after an employer accepts to take you on.

Its like fuck, thats the hardest part of the deal. If employers took me in, I wouldnt be looking at these programs in the first place.
>>
>>54538940

I didn't delete my post. I got hit with a CFAA charge and did 3 years in federal prison for cracking an ATM network. I've got CCNA, Net+, and Sec+, but I doubt it'll do me any good.
>>
>>54538908
>>54538919

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cisco-QSFP-transceiver-module-40-Gigabit-Ethernet/3908178.aspx?pfm=srh

The narcissist is the guy thinking $295 is some conspiracy hatched to create a barrier to entry buddy. Try to become attend a community college and get back to me on the cost of a credit.

I used to teach the NA, and watching people fret over $295 was something I could relate to. After they'd finish though, they'd laugh because they'd realize that an NP was $295 * 3 since it's a composite exam with three parts.

The bigger shekel and dime is CompTIA garbage and those computer vocational schools.
>>
>>54538964

pls respond
>>
>>54538920
green text story?
>>
>>54536631
CCNA is old, the new ones are basically decomposed certifications that ultimately morphs to a certificate similar to CCNA... oxymoron
>>
>>54539037
200-120 is the composite exam equivalent to the old 640 type
100-101 and 200-101 are the ICND1 and 2 respectively that form the new 'two part' approach which I think is a trap for the unconfident
>>
>>54539017

>be 19
>fiddle with atm network
>get root access to machines
>reprogram machines
>partner tells the feds
>get arrested
>refuse to explain vulnerabilities or cooperate
>get thrown in federal prison for a few years
>befriend hell's angel and various career criminals
>get out of jail
>Wendy's won't hire me
>start a cleaning business
>sell cleaning business
>start computer business doing odd jobs

There was alot of craziness around my case, but I can't go into it without risking identifying myself.
>>
>>54538964
sucks to hear that, but actions have consequences I guess. But that also means you're living proof that the "hurr yuh know what companies do to hackers?? hire them!" meme

just apply to non-government companies and somebodies bound to hire you
>>
>>54539097

I don't care all that much. I've found relative success being in business for myself, working part-time hours.
>>
>>54539096
move to Richmond va, its a 4 hour drive from j ville. theirs hells angels, hundreds of loser art students from VCU to fug and IT jobs are plenty. Theres even the off chance that your case is so interesting you'll be hired by some company
>>
>>54539125

I've considered moving to Durham to make those sweet shekels, it would be closer as well. Honestly, after being self-employed, it'll be hard to go back to work for someone else.
>>
>>54536631
>associate degree in Computer Networking
I just started on mine recently but honestly I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Probably going to get a CCNA at the end of it too
>>
>>54539324
go for it, employers like seeing that kind of shit, especially if its in IT
>>
>>54539324

Be sure to get whatever internships and work experience you can while still in school.
>>
>>54536631
You'd be better off getting your Net+, Cisco certs are nice and all, but not every company you decide to work for is going to have Cisco equipment. Take the classes though, you will learn a lot from them if anything they'll make you over prepared for the Net+. Cybersec and software development is a growing field.
>>
>>54538920
Please go deeper into this fraud
>>
>>54539566

I green-texted the story here >>54539096 it was a nationwide story for a few days.

I'm not really sure what to do with my life now. Maybe I'll get into web development. I'm fundamentally a decent guy, I was just young and cocky.
>>
>>54539593
>not offering your services as a cybersec consultant
>>
>>54539612

The problem is that I got hit in 2010 so my knowledge is a bit rusty. I still have the probing mindset that's necessary, but it would take a significant effort to catch back up.
>>
>>54539629
Not really, doesn't take much to do risk assessment and walk around the office to spot SPFs and other things of the nature.
>>
>>54539668

I like that idea alot. I think I might spend the next 6 months brushing up on things and start to offer that service to doctor's offices and such. I'm heading to bed though. I've got my amateur extra ham radio exam in a few hours.
>>
what worth is a ccent?
>>
>>54538388
network+ is a meme because the material you need to know is essential ICND1 level. if you're considering or comfortable enough to take the network+ step up to ICND1. looks better and you're already halfway to CCNA
>>
>>54536631
First off, this really depends on your experience. Do you have a basic understanding of networking? Have you terminated your own CAT5 or CAT6 cable? Its more than just get the cert because you will be doing cable management and replacing bad cables. I took the network+ and security+ from Comptia and then I took CCNA and then CCNP Security. When you gotten to CCNA, your career will sky rocket and you will have a ton of people knocking on your door for opportunities.

Here is my career timeline:
>2005-2012 $5.50-$8.75 per hour fast food
>2012-2013 $14-$16 per hour contract jobs
>2013-2014 $17-21 per hour network tech
>2014-2016 $31.77 per hour network engineer

Think about this.. I made less than $10k per year. Within the next 4 years, I'm making more than $60k with bonuses. Cisco has done me a lot of good. Just make sure you are motivated for position like this because it is fast paced and it is frustrating at times.
>>
>>54540192
ccent is worth it if you don't have network+ and already have a basic understanding, otherwise aim for network+ if you don't feel like you know much about it. in my opinion, ccent trumps net+ because this tells businesses that you understand the basics on configuring cisco equipment with networking fundamentals.
>>
Protip: guys just having sec+ and you will have the government sucking your dick. As long as you don't have anything bad on your background check. If you fill out the usajobs.gov application try to answer the question as close to expert as possible, but be modest. Don't be an arrogant prick and say you know everything.
>>
Guys you have to realize most of us won't have take the high paying jobs unless you know people. You have to be willing to do the shit stuff first, unless you come with experience, ie military.
>>
>>54538510

you gotta start low got a help desk job my company says they hire within a lot. Plus its actually true numerous people have been hired within internal jobs and have escaped help desk hell
>>
>>54544331

Yep. Nobody is gonna throw a noobie fresh out of school into a critical sysadmin role. No matter what your education/certs, you're going to start at the helpdesk learning the ropes of the company.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.