[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Apple the only brand that has a decent, self-sustainable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: HNCK3558-1300x867.jpg (125 KB, 1300x867) Image search: [Google]
HNCK3558-1300x867.jpg
125 KB, 1300x867
Why is Apple the only brand that has a decent, self-sustainable full ecosystem?

Google and Microsoft only failed miserably so far
>>
>>54535144
Google's is pretty good (at least it was a bit over a year ago, back when I still had an Android phone.)

Microsoft's was shit from day one due to how big and fractured the company is. Apple's is okay but it's slipping hard. Services and devices don't work together as well as they could.
>>
>>54535144
Because they treat their customer base like shit and only sell them what they want to sell them.
Then they decide what they can and cannot do with it.
>>
Because they always controlled both hardware and the software it runs and they have very limited amount of devices they have to provide support for.

Microsoft relies on various OEMs

And google doesn't have enough devices to speak of an ecosystem of any kind.
And android is a huge success whether you like it or not.
>>
>>54535144
Define "full ecosystem"
>>
>>54535191
>Because they treat their customer base like shit
And yet they have one of the highest consumer satisfactions in the market.. hmm
>>
Linux+Android

truly, the only way to go familia
>>
>>54535204
Using only their products.

If you had to choose between 1 of those 3 brands for all your devices, which one would you choose?
>>
ASUS zenphone, ASUS laptop, ASUS tablet
>>
>>54535144
Limitations. They limit as much as they possibly can. By stream lining the options and elements in the design they get a clean and concise user experience. These constraints extend to developers, too. This allows for devs to have the framework to build what they want but the constraints to keep it in check design-wise.

Google's is coming along, really. I just wish that casting would be a little more universally supported both with formats and with applications. As it stands, if I download something it needs to be the "correct" format and if I get a player that can decode the format it usually doesn't have any kind of casting option. A universal casting option that works in core android for any application would be muchly appreciated.
>>
>>54535263
You can't buy Apple server hardware or embedded systems. So there is no full ecosystem
>>
>>54535215
Open range chickens still get slaughtered.
>>
>>54535144
My MacBook Pro is now just under two weeks old. Within the first few days of using it, the cursor disappeared and the trackpad was completely unresponsive. The only way to get it working again was to turn it off as it didn't respond to keyboard commands either. I called support, who I must say were not very helpful, an left me frustrated. The first person I spoke to seemed very green -- not a vote of confidence!

Fast forward about 8 days later. Same exact thing. Called support and through his instruction, tried to boot into safe mode, but no go. It went immediate from the apple to the login page. To top it off, the support person was extremely rude. It has been a long time since I dealt with Apple support, and these experiences were much different than I remember. I will be contacting the corporate office to complain but for right now, my question is what to do? This is a NEW computer so in my view, this should probably not be happening at all, but I wonder if this is a common issue, and if there is a fix!

My old MacBook Pro got too draggy and the processor was too outdated to handle all the innovation that's occurred in the last seven years, but boy, I loved that computer! I have to deal with this issue, of course -- either fixing or exchanging this as a dud -- but in general, do the new MacBook Pros suck?
>>
>>54535293
>worstanalogyever.jpg
>>
i got the early 2015 macbook pro retina for about 3 weeks now and ever since around the 1st week onwards, it started to freeze/crash very frequently (once every other day at first, but now seems to be once a day)

force touch trackpad stops working anymore meaning it doesn't make the clicking vibration
keyboard/hotkeys won't work either like Command-Option-Esc to force quit, etc.
cursor can't be moved as well.
also, i don't really encounter the loading rainbow wheel. everything on the screen freezes.

the only thing i'm left to do is to force reboot which is to hold the power button for like several seconds and then i turn it back on.

other than taking it to the apple store, what else could i do? i actually just bought this online (and not from the official apple website) and i'm running on El Capitan 10.11.4 (it was 10.11.1 when i got it and i just updated but i'm not entirely sure if it also froze when i used the 10.11.1 version). i thought it only freezes when i'm on safari so i downloaded chrome, but it still froze while i used that browser. most of the time it freezes when i'm watching youtube videos or facebook (but then again i can't conclude anything since that's basically all that i do with this macbook)
>>
I'm pretty sure Apple created the idea of an 'ecosystem' for tech
>>
>>54535144
I honestly have no idea what your asking.
>>
>Apple
nice meme
>>
>>54535144
My 2012 MacBook Pro is really acting up, and has become extremely difficult to use. It has numerous problems with it, so I'll list them off:

1. When I try to click on something (as in the usual, left-click), the computer right clicks. But not all the time. If I push the very very bottom left part of the trackpad it still recognizes my click as a left-click, most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't even recognize my click at all.

2. Sometimes the mouse moves randomly, and doesn't respond to my movements when I try to correct its movements, or shows a very delayed response.

3. Pages zoom in to a ridiculous extent, randomly, for no apparent reason. I'll be reading some texting, and all of a sudden it zooms in like 500%. I try zooming out, only to find that the page says it's only at 100% zoom, despite clearly being extremely zoomed in. Sometimes it also zooms back out, or alternates randomly between zooming in and zooming out. I noticed that this is sometimes correlated with my use of the up and down arrows on my keyboard.

4. The reason I have to use the up and down arrows on my keyboard is because 70-80% of the time, I can't scroll using two fingers on the trackpad as I should be able to.

5. My mac switches randomly between different displays (not sure if displays is the right word). For example, I'll be Chrome or Safari or whatever and then all of a sudden it switches to launchpad. And then it also switches randomly to that screen with the grey background that shows a clock and a calculator and some other things on it. Sometimes it switches back, sometimes it doesn't. Often times, just moving my mouse causes it to switch between screens like this.

What could be the issue here? Can anyone recommend anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this computer is borderline unusable some of the time at this point.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.3.1
>>
File: xps_13_macbook_pro_front.jpg (304 KB, 1200x829) Image search: [Google]
xps_13_macbook_pro_front.jpg
304 KB, 1200x829
>>
>>54535144
This problem started yesterday. I use an Imac and a macbook pro, and I was using my laptop when the trackpad stopped working. It was responding but the cursor was moving slowly. I decided to use my mouse and everything was fine. I thought it was just a little problem and I could figure it out later if it continued to not work. This morning I opened up my laptop and it was fine for a little bit, then the cursor went crazy. It was like my cursor was just running around and doing random gestures, opening random things. My applications were fine, but the cursor was just going around and opening them. It was very random, so I didn't think anyone was controlling my computer.

I did have control of my cursor but it wasn't completely responding. I tried shutting it down, putting it to sleep, etc. Nothing worked. I then decided to just turn it off for an hour and when I reopened it, it was fine. After a few minutes it went crazy again. I think my battery might be swollen, I don't know. Apple decided to use the smalled screws in the world so I can't open the back off, can anyone please tell me what's going on? I'm taking it to the apple store tomorrow but I want to figure out what's wrong first.

It's a MacBook Pro 13 inch
I've had it for about 2 1/2 years
>>
>>54535312
>Being intolerant of people who just got a job
Someone's never had a job before....

You could take your Macbook Pro to the Apple store and they'll basically swap it out with a new one. Don't be lazy. Have you ever worked at a call center before? Cause it's hard as shit to deal with peoples problems when all you can do is talk to the idiot behind the keyboard.
>>
>>54535449
On my Macbook Pro 15" Non-Retina 2012 I've been having some strange WiFi issues over the last couple of days.

The WiFi turned off and wouldn't turn back on after sleep. When I removed it from the Networks list it said there was no WiFi hardware installed.

Booting into the startup options shows the WiFi card is still working (although not every time) and when it successfully connects there it boots into the system with WiFi working again however this lasts for less than a minute before WiFi disables and won't turn on again.

Clearly the WiFi card is working as it shows the networks in the startup options and sometimes connects.

Anyone able to suggest something I can try?
>>
>>54535324
>>54535374
>>54535436

Not your tech support macfag, fuck off to apple store
>>
>>54535466
Do you know if the Wi-Fi card is separate? If so, you could try replacing just the card.
Otherwise, you could try reloading the OS.
Otherwise, Apple store and see if they can fix it for money or what you can get as a recycle towards a new one.
>>
>>54535480
>>54535504

I've been using my mac for 4 years now (since Feb 2012) and it is 13-inch Mac pro (late 2011 model)
I've updated my mac to El Capitan last month and I had no problem with it until last week..
My internet works fine until it suddenly says there is no internet connection :/
When I try to reconnect wifi, I don't get the list of possible wifi but just an option to turn it off
Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 1.19.42 AM.png
I have tried going into the settings and turning it back on but when I click the "Turn On" button nothing happens.
The only way I can get it to work again is to restart my laptop.. but this fix only lasts few minutes
Why is this happening? Is it a software error? I really want to get it fixed.. It's really annoying!
>>
>>54535293
I have many reasons to believe that my ex boyfriend installed a keylogger or spyware on my macbook. I have done a lot of research and cannot find the answers that I am looking for. I have taken a screenshot of my activity monitor in hopes that someone can let me know if anything looks suspicious. It appears fine to me, although I am confidant that I something is installed and being used regularly to snoop and creep my every move on my computer, please help me, any advice would be helpful. As a footnote I have installed macscan and completed a scan and it came up with nothing... I am not being paranoid my ex has basically confirmed my suspicions.
>>
>>54535363
>being a jelly poorfag

i'm sorry
>>
>>54535144
It's easy. Apple is the brand that attracts people with money to spend.

Google and MS only have poo in loos, chinks, and Obamaphone users as their customers.

Look at the app store sales - Apple has about 15% of the combined tablet / smartphone market, and over 90% of the app store profit.

It's because chinks can only afford the phone, you can't sell both kidneys after all.
>>
>>54535834
>unironically wanting to own apple products
What are you, gay?
>>
>>54535144
Sidenote, I fucking love the curved "2.5D" design on the iPhone 6/6s. It's subtle but looks so neat (at least in black)
>>
>>54535386
>unironically being poor

hehe
>>
File: 1442358512001.png (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1442358512001.png
10 KB, 500x500
Why can't we have the aesthetic aluminum design(minus the obvious bullshit) of apple coupled with the quality of old thinkpads?

Why is beauty plus function so fucking impossible in this day and age?
>>
Because apple is literally the only brand in the market that can into marketing and design properly
>>
>>54535386
Bezels only improve your viewing experience. Having no bezels is like watching a movie without the black bars
>>
>>54535386
>dell
>windows
>chincam
>16:9

lel
>>
>>54535916
Not sure if in jest or legitimate mactard.
>>
>>54535895
>quality of old thinkpads
>muh 8 pound creaky plastic heap of QUALITY!
>>
While your comment is valid, it really depends on the end user of the device. Apple has perfectly executed a complete ecosystem. Would I buy a macbook though? Or iPhone? Or iPad?

No.
>>
>>54535951
Some of us work through college. Thinkpads are cheap and reliable. Why not use one if you're on a limited budget?
>>
>>54536018
Would I buy a macbook though? Or iPhone? Or iPad?

Because they are the best notebook, smartphone and tablet in the market?
>>
>>54535144
not enough synergy or leverage
millenials like how apple is an industry influencer that is constantly innovating

apple is always ready to pivot and become directionally accurate if it notices the environment changing

they clearly employ the most visionary people there. that's part of what makes them the best of the breed.
>>
>>54536047
Because it's a gay fedora meme.
>>
>>54536094
>girlslaughing.jpg
>>
>>54536176
>girlslaughingatthepoorfag.png
>>
If apple was some kind of underground brand /g/ would love it.

Because its popular and cool kids use it they hate it
>>
>>54536245
i always hated apple desu senpai
>>
File: gaywindowsru7.jpg (7 KB, 250x172) Image search: [Google]
gaywindowsru7.jpg
7 KB, 250x172
>>54536264
That's because you're a Windows kid.
>>
File: 13492822.jpg (73 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
13492822.jpg
73 KB, 500x328
>Google
good mobile
shit desktop
good services

>Microsoft
shit mobile
good desktop
good services

>Apple
top hardware
good mobile
good desktop
NO actual services of its own top kek

nothing's perfect right now. you either have to mix n match and cope with workarounds
or
go all in with one and suffer in at least one key area
>>
>>54536282
>NO actual services of its own
what is icloud
>>
>>54536282
Google supports all platforms, so while I'm heavily invested in the Google ecosystem, it transfers pretty well to iOS. Their new keyboard is fucking on point
>>
>>54536282
>NO actual services of its own top kek
but that is wrong.

I use mostly apple services on my iphone.

Notes is fucking great. Only thing that I don't use is numbers/keynote. I use office for that.
>>
>>54536325
A data mine
>>
>>54536325
>>54536386
ok but it's minimal

No search engine
No email
No cloud storage (full fledged like Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox. Not basically a glorified iPhone settings backup)
No office suite/service
>>
>>54536420
What are "services?"

With Apple at least you can opt *completely* out of any Cloud bullshit. Unlike with MS where they still send a keylog, timestamped webcam grabs, screengrabs, lists of visited URLs...
>>
>>54536461
>No email
There's email.
>No cloud storage
There's cloud storage that works like any other.
>No office suite/service
Numbers, Pages, Keynote.

They don't have web versions because Apple's job is not to sell "services" to non-Apple users.
>>
>>54536511
There is a web version of those

icloud.com

but some only work if you have an apple product active
>>
>>54536542
Yes of course, it's a service FOR APPLE CUSTOMERS.
>>
>>54536574
jesus fuck why are you mad? I'm just saying youre wrong in saying that there is no web version
>>
>>54535144
>ecosystem
Actually, the cloud synergy Web 2.0 integration of information parsing, and the innovation displayed by the intuitive interface and design philosophy of fashionable and artistically conceptualized items, as well as the clear advances made in user-interface stream-lining and leveraged paradigm-shifts towards usability and compatibility, in addition to the ability to perform pseudo-parallel virtualization and the usage of augmented enhancements to the audio-visual human experience, make the alternative an obviously better choice.
>>
>>54536282

Windows enviromenet cuck here. Phone is not best yea but who cares it makes calls and can run whatsapp and take photos and surf internet and play webms and such. I cant think of a single thing that using windows ecosystem prevents me to do.

In google ecosystem personal computer is just a glorified browser so fuck that.

Meanwhile in apple ecosystem you dont get any proper office suites or email or something like skype/hangouts and it has the worst browser.
>>
>>54535466

I would try an SMC reset. I had issues with my 2015 rMBP 13 not connecting to my home network. Doing the reset seemed to help the connection issues a little bit.
>>
nigger, it's a fucking computer, not nuclear waste.

" ecosystem "
>>
>>54536685
>windows ecosystem prevents me to do.
getting cheeky pics from sluts on snapchat

>Meanwhile in apple ecosystem you dont get any proper office suites or email or something like skype/hangouts and it has the worst browser.

What? both OSX and iOS have full MS office

What is facetime/imessage?

And safari is fucking great
>>
>>54536743
>getting cheeky pics from sluts on snapchat
Wasnt getting any before when i was using it so not a big loss

>both OSX and iOS have full MS office
Using ms office defeats the purpose of apple ecosystem. Google has docs which is a pretty powerful office suite too. Apple doesn't have a comperable office suite.

>What is facetime/imessage?
Youre right I thought facetime was made by facebook.
>>
>>54536857
>Using ms office defeats the purpose of apple ecosystem. Google has docs which is a pretty powerful office suite too. Apple doesn't have a comperable office suite.

Oh I see.

But yes it does. I don't use it but apple has keynote/page/numbers. Its not as good as MSoffice but its good enough. As good as google docs I reckon. Better than libre office shit for sure. There is also email/notes/calendar/storage just like MS an Google. And they work great, most people dont know about it because you need apple products to use them
>>
This is why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajnEpCq5SE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlYC8gDvutc

Tell me it doesn't make you want to try it?

Even if you hate apple.

Now imagine how normies feel, and they dont give a fuck about the same things /g/tards care.

That is how they win the market, that's why other brands are always copying apple.
>>
>>54536912
By email I meant @outlook.com and @gmail.com
Does apple provide that?
>>
>>54535144
Because their system is very closed and doesn't allow for much customisation. And it runs on a limited choice of hardware. So, it was easier to optimise things for that.
>>
>>54536983
sure

@icloud.com
>>
>>54535144
Two things are to blame:

1) Google and MS don't own their products from top to bottom

2) They tolerate crapshit manufacturers in their ecosystem, trading quality for quantity

The most complete solution would be for them to restrict future releases of Windows and Android to only run on MS and Google devices, but that's clearly not going to happen.

The most feasible solution is to hold Windows PC and Android device manufacturers to a very high standard and give those violating that requirement a swift boot in the ass. Make it clear to third parties that if they want to be part of the Windows/Android club, you're going to have to produce first-party quality products.

Neither will ever happen though because MS and Google don't give two shits about customer happiness. It's all about maximum coverage and maximum data to sell for minimum cost, and cheap shit devices accomplish that nicely.
>>
>>54537090
not seen a single person use that
>>
>>54537520
Probably because the entire planet uses gmail.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.