[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Audio Engineer Computer Build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (32 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
32 KB, 480x360
So I'm in the process of gathering cash to build myself a computer that I'll keep in my home studio for audio engineering. While looking for advice as to what I should prioritize in my build, I keep seeing that RAM is the most important component. "Buy as much RAM as you can" - Things like that. Anyone have any other pieces of advice? Can I really just get a cheap Mobo, processor, and PSU and just fill it with 32 gigs or RAM for a decent build?
>>
16GB is more than enough. Your cpu should have the highest single thread performance you can get, as that will be your primary bottleneck for performance.
>>
>RAM is most important

what idiot told you that?
>>
>>54527067
16gb is enough. More than you'll need. Allow me to put this into perspective.

I work at Luxottica, our server for the IT side for the internal systems for our logging has 32gb and that's near over kill
>>
Unless you're doing 64+ mic orchestra type work I can't imagine why youd need more than 16GB of RAM.
>>
Audiophile RAM, low power consumption?
>>
>>54527142
I've looked around a few forums about mixing and mastering music. And most people kept saying that RAM was the most used resource when it came to any DAW you were using.
>>
>>54527189
Yeah the most at one time would be tracking a entire live drum kit. Only around seven microphones.
>>
>>54527142
DAWs have a habit of using lots of RAM to store samples and preload VSTs. Each audio track can have a sampler with 300mb of samples. Some instruments have multi-gig libraries. That is before audio tracks are rendered & get loaded into memory.

Other than that OP should use an decent SSD.
>>
>>54527204
This is because half of them are on Macbooks and paid 1000+ for 8GB of memory they can't upgrade.
>>
>>54527235
Hahahaha solid point
>>
>>54527204
>doing super CPU intensive tasks
>RAM is most important

nah dawg, like others have said already the ceiling is probably 16gb until diminishing returns. Personally, though, it's not like 32gb RAM is very expensive. Especially if you're doing professional work.
>>
>>54527225
Yea 16GB should be fine, get 32GB if you can afford it. Since RAM is fairly cheap.
>>
>>54527232
This and you may end up using more than a single program with multiple copies of the same plugins and samples open.
>>
>>54527232
>300mb

hahahahaha
>>
File: 14597022907.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
14597022907.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
> fell for the 16MiB meme
>>
Just max that shit out. No point in letting potential not be utilized.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.