[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any way to fix a stripped screw hole in GPU PCB? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: P1100239m.jpg (414 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P1100239m.jpg
414 KB, 1024x768
Is there any way to fix a stripped screw hole in GPU PCB?

I'm trying to tighten the heatsink but one of the screws just keeps turning.
>>
>>54517891
get a smaller screwdriver, one that actually fits
or get a screwdriver that strips the screw and makes a new head, fucking your shit up even worse
>>
>>54517891
Yeah. With a hammer.
>>
Get an appropriately sized tap.
>>
>>54517911
I think you misunderstand. The actual screwn and screw head are fine, the part in the actual pcb though seems messed up, the twisting pathway for the screw. I don't know how else to call it.
English is not my native language.
>>
File: 8267_SteelStik.jpg (183 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
8267_SteelStik.jpg
183 KB, 1024x1024
>>54517891
Something like this maybe?
>>
>>54517947
I see. get a bolt for the other side.
>>
>>54517891
Chase the threads with the appropriate size and pitch tap.Heli-coil may work too,provided the hole is deep enough.Last resort? Try two part epoxy.
>>
>>54517970
or a nut, sorry.
>>
>>54517967
Pretty sure this is conductive.You want to be extremely careful and not slop this on a trace.It would certainly work though.
>>
Put a piece of toothpick into the hole. The wood is soft enough to Co form to what's left of the hole and provides pressure to push the screw against the threads.

Hope it helps OP
>>
>>54517891
so, the thread on the cooler screw hole is fucked up? either put a new larger screw in it and see if it sets ok (forced tap) or get a new cooler
>>
File: IMG_0111.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0111.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>54518075
>>54518090
I took a picture. Hope it helps you help me.
>>
>>54518185
yup cooler screw hole thread fked up
you could buy a slightly wider self-tapping screw
or you can buy a new cooler
or you can just jam a slightly wider screw you have around you in there and force fit it (might make it way worse or might stay in place)
>>
>>54518299
???
>>
>>54518185
Don't fuck around, just use a self tapping screw or drill it out.
>>
>>54518312

Sorry man, I thougt it said stripped screw, not screw hole.
>>
>>54518299
That's for a seized screw, not a stripped screw. Anyway I think in OP's case the screw isn't stuck.

>>54518185
Can you take the whole heatsink off and take a picture of it without the PCB there, doing anything which is probably going to cause metal filings around a PCB is generally a bad idea, also I/we can see if there's something better to be done.
>>
>>54518443
I bootlegged it by adding a tiny piece of metal wire with plastic around it (the ones you use at grocery stores to tie a bag). Screw screwed in fine but I had to apply a lot of force.

I'll update in a few minutes on how the temperatures are.
>>
File: t_lkr_blue.png (104 KB, 190x324) Image search: [Google]
t_lkr_blue.png
104 KB, 190x324
Could try adding some threadlocker to your screw. Since it isn't a moving part it may be all you need to help it grab and hold. Make sure you get some that tolerates heat.
>>
>>54517891
Re tap it a size bigger and get a bigger screw

shits easy
>>
>>54518470
Temps are mostly the same, -2C at 100% load since I changed the thermal paste. Guess my bootleg worked.
>>54519270
Does the actual pcb heat up that much?
Is there a chance that the little plastic thing I added might melt and cause damage?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.