[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AT WHAT COST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Put your config / cache / temp shit where your executables will end up on a client's system, or at least try to follow conventions and use appdata / registry.
For fuck sake pajeets.
>>
File: lmao.png (63 KB, 276x285) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
63 KB, 276x285
>>54508258
>registry
>>
>>54508273
Actually, you're right, don't use registry.
You're utterly incompetent, I don't want you pajeets anywhere near it.
>>
lmao retarded linux devs
>>
>>54508258
THIS FUCKING SHIT, WHY ???
I have 27 of them.
>>
>>54508258
I am fully with you on this.

They don't even bother to change the folder names from nix where the preceeding period makes the folder "invisible".
>>
>>54508289
the registry is loaded on every boot
do you use that software on every boot?
your performance will suffer if every program writes to the registry, and the registry gets heavier and heavier

this is why back in the day, after installing games your computer would get slow (barring viruses) because the windows registry is actually a poor design decision, since you can't control what developers will or will not do.

the elegant and simplest solution is treat everything as a file, (which is how things work on unix, bsd, linux)
>>
>>54509168
>running windows
you're already a second class citizen to your own OS. what's it to you that the developer community is starting to give less fucks about you too?
>>
>>54509230
At least I'm not deluded enough to run Linux on a desktop.

I have it running where it is meant to be, on a server.
>>
>>54509230
Lmao if anything you're the second class citizen.
Your own community is shitting on itself whenever someone complains about anything, even if it is legitimate criticism.
>>
>don't define an XDG_CONFIG_HOME
>get mad when software just write to the root of your home directory

Cry more winfaggot.
>>
File: 555.jpg (34 KB, 338x305) Image search: [Google]
555.jpg
34 KB, 338x305
>>54508258
>Put user configuration in program installation directories

No. Even using appdata is a clusterfuck, since how is anyone meant to know if something will be in local or roaming?
I shouldn't have to check three different folders to find something that should only be in one folder.

I'd agree that prepending the folder name with a period looks a bit off in windows, however it does mean that all the "hidden" stuff appears first in A-Z order, which is really useful.

Essentially OP, you're expecting people to do things autistically
>BECAUSE THATS WHAT MS DOES AND MS IS NEVER WRONG GUYS

Well I've got news for you pal...
>>
>>54508258
your own fault for being a fag and showing all hidden and system files.
>>
>>54509740
The hidden files are greyed out, only AppData is actually hidden.

http://hownew.ru
>>
>>54509212
yeah the registry is a pain in the ass but it was a lot faster than non-binary-blob solutions back in the 90s which is why MS went with it.

Today it makes no fucking sense though but we are stuck with it. the big problem is there is just one registry (split into different files/hives). it would be a lot better if it were separated and only loaded what it needs when it needs it.

While I do like Windows the unix way of doing things is far better. Not having to fuck around with file system attributes to hide a folder is just so much simpler.
>>
>>54509787
sorry not a windows user that much. just hide the dotfolders and there is no problem
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.