[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there colors that are less taxing for the graphics card to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: csm_gba_rxpress200m_5e461c2b4d.jpg (128 KB, 968x1200) Image search: [Google]
csm_gba_rxpress200m_5e461c2b4d.jpg
128 KB, 968x1200
Are there colors that are less taxing for the graphics card to display compared to others? Example - I'm guessing a 3D art wallpaper is going to need more resources than a simple solid gray background but is there a difference between displaying a particular solid color over another?
>>
wat
>>
>>54507722
yes, solid black with an alpha of 0
>>
>>54507753
Thanks for playing
>>
>>54507722
Is this 1995?
>>
you still running 4MB of RAM?
>>
>>54507722
what are you smoking
>>
File: ElswordxRaven_zps6b15f56b.png (276 KB, 500x564) Image search: [Google]
ElswordxRaven_zps6b15f56b.png
276 KB, 500x564
>>54507722
Sort of. If the card can go into 256color mode or smth when not all colors are needed then those colors would be less taxing. Not any individual colors tho.
>>
>>54507722
There used to be a myth that certain shades of green was less taxing on a system than other colours.

Not sure which shades of green in particular tho.
>>
File: intel_amd_nvidia_a5x.jpg (40 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
intel_amd_nvidia_a5x.jpg
40 KB, 320x320
>>54507722
>>
>>54507722
No, because they all have an assigned bit value, all a GPU has to do is tell the display what value to display and where. Every color uses the same amount of bandwidth and takes up the same amount of space. Unless of course you switched your color spectrum to 256 colors, in which case it would be less taxing.
>>
>>54507722
No, it doesn't matter. In the end your GPU refreshes the whole output anyway and it's not like it magically knows that nothing has changed or that the next byte is like the last one or anything like that. A multiplication is a multiplication, it doesn't matter which bytes you multiply. I bet you could find optimizations for stuff like that, but today's GPUs can handle refreshing the desktop very easily, so nobody bothers with it just to save a few mW.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.