[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hard Drive Season
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Cd_7a0SUIAI0nnl.jpg (91 KB, 930x622) Image search: [Google]
Cd_7a0SUIAI0nnl.jpg
91 KB, 930x622
Took apart a couple of old laptops and removed their HD's before doing away with the laptops themselves.

Best methods to make HD's kill?

Also pic unrelated.
>>
>>54505368
A huge ass impact drill.
>>
>>54505368
disassemble them, take a hammer to the platters and keep the magnets for shit
>>
>>54505368
I usually drill through the case and platters with my drill press.

I have always wanted to make thermite though, might do that next time I have a whole bunch.
>>
>>54505392
I have 7. How many would it take?
>>
>>54505424
Nevermind. I'm a fucking idiot. Thought you could make thermite with ground up HD components.
>>
Depends on paranoia.

In order of decreasing sanity:
-Zero
-Random data
-(repeat x times, on the same scale)
-Disassemble case and smash platters
-Shred platter bits
-Fire
-Dispose of burnt shreds
-In multiple locations
-In water
-(moving water)
-Don't dispose, keep shredded data in safe onsite
>>
>>54505453
I filled the toilet with bleach and salt and just dumped them inside it. I'll leave them overnight, dismantle and drill them tomorrow before I crush them. I'll burn them afterwords in the fire pit I have out back.
>>
>>54505392
Thermite is a good option if you have a bunch of drives to kill.
You just stack them up, put your pot of thermite on top, and light that shit.
>>
>>54505480
https://xkcd.com/538/
>>
>>54505440
yeah, sorry, i worded that poorly

7 drives might be enough to be worth making some thermite for. I've only had 2-3 at a time, so the drill press works fine, but I wouldn't want to drill 7 drives in one go.

upside, it costs about nothing and is fucking cool, plus you will certainly never get that data back
downside, it might kill you and your house
>>
>>54505480
Anon's a special kind of what I call "fucking idiot." The reason he stopped responding id because salt and bleach create a fucking horrible gas that burns the eyes. It's even worse in a fucking house which is mostly ENCLOSED. Nigger just gassed himself like a Jew during WWII.

He's probably lying on the floor somewhere, either suffocating or trying to get as low as possible where the untainted oxygen is - huffing like a fish out of water. And no telling what the hell the electronics inside the HD's are adding.

Poor stupid bastard.
>>
as others have said, a drill.

Personally, I just have a box of hard drives that are dead. They will probably be cleaned up when I die, but until then they remain in the box of death.
>>
1. Write over the entire drive repeatedly (dban or something it doesnt matter)
2. Degauss it, or heat it past the curie point
3. Shatter it
4. Dispose of it in many different places
5. Convince yourself you aren't a paranoid idiot

or you can do what I did for kicks, and just let the whole drive stick itself to a 50 pound neodymium magnet, there wasn't anything that someone would use electron microscopy to dig up
>>
Thermite's pretty cool but it actually leaves a lot of data intact because you don't really melt all the platters, you just melt a whole lot of it and it looks like you melted the whole thing. They're also gigantic metal heatsinks with high melting points, and you're not going to reach the curie point unless you're literally bathing it constantly with some sort of a kiln pouring thermite for at least over a minute

tl;dr go for thermite if you don't have the threat of the NSA kicking down your door
>>
>>54505887
>50 pound neodymium magnet

50 pound mass or 50 pound pull force?

if the former, how much does that cost? "rare" earths are pretty rare, I don't know where I'd find 50 lbs of one.
>>
>>54505910
The magnet literally weighs 50 pounds, I have two subwoofers and each has a 50 pound neodymium magnet. You can get one for ~$400, but that's including the cost of everything else, not just the magnet.
>>
>>54505910
btw it's probably not pure, it's most definitely mixed with some sort of cheaper compound
>>
>>54505930
That is pretty surprising because the largest neodymium magnet I've ever bought was only a few pounds (mass), cost far more than that, and was nearly impossible to handle.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DZ0X8-N52 is $344 for a mere 46 ounces, and the largest disc magnet on their site.

I think it much more likely you had a 50 pound, non-rare-earth magnet.
>>
>>54505494
I WOULD NEVER TALK!
>>
>>54505910
>50 pound mass or 50 pound pull force?
lmao americucks and your retarded units

whenever you go out to buy a gallon of milk, do you also have to clarify whether you're talking about fluid gallons or dry gallons?
>>
>>54506016
this has nothing to do with american units, retard.

pretend I said "25 kilogram mass or 25 kilogram pull force," there is no difference.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.