[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I fall for the meme? I was always using vim because /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: vim.png (191 KB, 2000x2004) Image search: [Google]
vim.png
191 KB, 2000x2004
Did I fall for the meme?

I was always using vim because /g/ said it is the best.

Now I have python script, main file is ~300line long + few modules as import that I work on as well.

It feels uncomfortable to maintain all this with a vim, even with split.

Am I the only one?

Im considering visual code now.

Is there any other normal editor that would allow me to add this kind of shortcuts that vim has?

Like v+d, p
dd

etc
?
>>
Sublime Text with Vim-plugins?
>>
>can't maintain a babby-tier 300 lines

G I T G U D
I
T

G
U
D
>>
>>54493057
this, to be honest

in normal mode you can zip around with like 25j 25k gg G (and there's nothing to stop you scrolling with a mouse...)

if it's too much to look at visually, try :help fold

remember when things get dim give em vim

this message brought to you by uganda
>>
>>54493057
its 300 + 3 modules with 400 lines

I did not sad I can not, because I was using it few years, but I do not see how it is superior in compare to ide.

Yeah its comfy when you have to write small script, but if you have 60 functions, ide seems much more comfortable.
>>
>>54493015

I use NINJA for python.

Vim is great, but you really need to know the ins and outs of it to get productivity out of it.
>>
>>54493140
>what is g
>>
Switch to Emacs. Not even joking. It is much better than Vim.

Source: Former Vim user.
>>
>>54493101
> 25j 25k

You can also use Ctrl+u/d to go up/down by a half screen, or Ctrl+b/f to go back of forward a full screen.

You can place your cursor High on the window (top line) with H, place cursor in the middle with M, place cursor Low on the screen (bottom line) with L.

I agree OP just needs to git gud. I use vim to manage kernel source and XML files with tens of thousands of lines. Nothing even comes close to vim's performance and productivity with either of these.

Maybe you should look into source code tagging too.
>>
>>54493196
bait
>>
>>54493140
> but if you have 60 functions, ide seems much more comfortable

Yeah you definitely need source code tagging.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.