[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, do you use IRC with or without a bouncer? I wanna get back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: b6J0Wsh.gif (12 KB, 362x191) Image search: [Google]
b6J0Wsh.gif
12 KB, 362x191
/g/, do you use IRC with or without a bouncer?

I wanna get back on after years of being away, but don't wanna mess with trying to find a bouncer and all that jazz. Unless you know a really quick, easy and free one. I remember back in the day most of the free ones had a waiting list or something, it sucked. I eventually got a VPS but yeah, don't wanna pay for that now.

I'm pretty sure exposing your public IP is no big deal, assuming you don't piss off a l33t skiddie in chat, but still curious how you guys are connecting these days.
>>
>>54489008
whoa no responses in 13 minutes, pretty shocked
>>
Just use an irc server with nickserv and vhosts.
>>
>>54489008
i used to use it with a bouncer but some asshat started nuking the service i was using

so they were forced to wipe their server and everyone lost all their configs

im too lazy to set it up again
>>
>>54489008
Elitebnc is free for most big networks. Some networks have their own bouncers too
>>
>>54489272
>>54489630

forgot about this thread - I ended up getting an unaffiliated cloak on freenode. thanks for the replies
>>
Is IRC still a thing?
>>
>>54489008

So you got a Janitor acceptance?
>>
I always thought IRC stood for Instant Relay Chat.
>>
>>54490925
Not for general chatting, no. EFnet, DALnet, Quakenet etc have all lost the vast majority of its users. However, one network that instead has been gaining members is Freenode. Freenode has gained a massive amount of users due to the ease of use linux distros and the popularity of FOSS, making it the most popular IRC network. There's no real alternative either and IRC works well, so Freenode will probably remain the default forum for FOSS chat in the unforeseeable future.
>>
>using outdated technology

if you have used IRC after 2000 you are a retard.
>>
>>54491947
>using outdated technology

if you are using IPv4 after 1998 you are a retard.
>>
>>54489008
Rizon has its own BNC service and yeah most Network have vhost services or cloaking ips
>>
>>54491947
>outdated technology
The large userbase and lack of good replacements suggests otherwise.
>>
Not using bouncer, but running IRC client on external shell account.
>>
Are /g/ channels on rizon worth joining?
>>
>>54493567
>rizon
you do know about irc.installgentoo.com, right?
>>
>>54494510
looks pretty empty
>>
I use bouncer
>>
>>54489008
just run znc on your vps/homeserver
familia
>>
I use znc. Exposing your IP is really only an issue if you go on EFNet. You should be able to get away with just using ipv6, then you can be an annoying faggot if you want and people won't do a whole lot to you.

http://scaleway.com/ I use one of these, only for znc pretty much.
>>
>>54489008
I also use ZNC on my vps. It's super easy to set up
>>
>>54496463
>>54497487
OP here - in the OP I said I don't want to buy a VPS again but thanks for the suggestions. I solved the problem last night by doing >>54490416
>>
>>54489008
I use my raspi as a bouncer, no port forwarding since I don't use it when I'm outside my flat
>>
>>54489008
Why would I use any of that stuff?
>>
>>54497487
What VPS that isn't shady as hell still tolerates them?
>>
>>54498214
buy a raspberry pi and host it yourself
>>
>>54494510
That place sucks.
>>
>>54491947
Sure thing, kiddo.
>>
File: free.jpg (50 KB, 676x505) Image search: [Google]
free.jpg
50 KB, 676x505
>>54498267
What is the point of bouncer if you host it behind your own router?
>>
>>54499351
Receiving messages when offline
>>
>>54499351
Privacy isn't the only purpose for a bouncer. You could just use a VPN if you wanted privacy.
>>
just testing cross-board links >>>/pol/72125045 don't mind me.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.