[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
try to explain why node.js is EVER the most ideal choice for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Hipster.jpg (31 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Hipster.jpg
31 KB, 600x400
try to explain why node.js is EVER the most ideal choice for a conventional web server (one that doesn't need constant polling).

hint: you can't

>pic related
>>
>>54482285
Fast as C, easy to write
>>
Easy as shit to use, tons of tutorials and support.
>>
Appealing to the hipster market
>>
>>54482285
Easy to get brogrammers for.
>>
>>54482306
>Fast as C
I know this is bait, but I'm sure there are people out there who unironically believe this, and it makes me very angry for reasons I don't understand.
>>
>>54482306
except javascript is a botnet almost as bad as windows. if steve jobs didn't die, he would have killed it, just as he killed flash and java
>>
>>54482306
JavaScript sucks big time
>>
>>54482338
>python
>>
>>54482565
I love python. When someone says "Why would you use C++ instead of Java?? Even though it's slower it's faster to implement in!" and you just say "Why not use Python then" they clam up or say some bullshit excuse.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzkRVzciAZg
>>
>>54482306
This.

>>54482491
You are wrong. Modern javascript runtimes are very performant. V8 is the fastest compiler ever written for a dynamic language.
Using a modern dynamic functional garbage-collected language like JS speeds up development 3-5x compared to C/C++. No more segmentation faults, no more memory micromanagement. you write your application and it just werks.
>>
>>54483515
baka desu senpai

Nice 1980s software development references but every language has those features. JS is shit because it can't into multithreading and you end up with shit like async, promises and callbacks which are retarded to type and even more impossible to debug. It's a shit language for anything more complex than 2 lines of jquery
>>
>you write your application and it just werks
>no static checking
Good luck with that.
>>
>>54482306
>using node
>have a bunch of people connecting at once
>3 seconds to write "hello world"
>using c
>only 1/3 of a second
If you count 9x slower "fast as" then I guess that would be a fair point.
>>
>>54483515
>it just werks
When will the next AAA game use nodejs then?
>>
>>54483770
>what are typescript and flow
>>
>>54482422
You're just jealous because node uses an event loop and C doesnt :^)
>>
>>54483515
>No more segmentation faults, no more memory micromanagement. you write your application and it just werks.
Yeah, you only get shitty oddities like where functions will leave arguments as undefined rather than failing if you don't specify them all, getting back undefined for various crap, and others. So you end up having to do just as much error-checking as C despite the language actually having an exceptions system. And since it isn't statically typed, you don't get any compile-time checks for simple stuff like that.
It doesn't have half the OOP features as Python, despite the performance being similar.

Just about the only two good things I got from node were:
1. Event-driven
2. Dependencies can each have different versions of their own dependencies
>>
>>54483564
I love watching JS people pretend that promises solve all their problems, when at best it helps a little with error handling. Meanwhile, async/await, which ACTUALLY makes async programming not completely suck, is now available in non-botnet languages (Python 3.5).
>>
>>54485229
>It doesn't have half the OOP features as Python, despite the performance being similar.
Now, I hate node as much as the next guy, but let's be honest here - you're sure as hell not getting V8-level performance out of CPython, and I wouldn't be surprised if even PyPy couldn't keep up.
>>
>>54482285
Nodejs is a joke, it's seriously scary that people actually use that shit in production.

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.