[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are chromebooks any good? I want to install Linux on one, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: Chromebook.png (93 KB, 675x450) Image search: [Google]
Chromebook.png
93 KB, 675x450
Are chromebooks any good? I want to install Linux on one, but most of the tutorials I've seen people are using something called crouton, is this just a virtual machine running within Chrome OS?

I just want a small 12" laptop for mainly internet/word processing, but I want to use Linux. An I better off just buying a netbook where I can install whatever I want on it?
>>
>>54475250
>Are chromebooks any good?
If you don't care about the botnet, yeah they're pretty good
> is this just a virtual machine running within Chrome OS?
It's a Ubuntu chroot. You'll have to remove a protection screw to use it though
>>
>>54475292
>It's a Ubuntu chroot

What is that?
>>
>>54475300
https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton
It explains there
>>
>>54475321
Thanks
>>
Chrome OS already is Linux, it's based off gentoo.
>>
>>54475416
I'd rather install my own distro on it
>>
>>54475416
The main reason to use linux is because of all the free software.
The kernel is a small part, but mostly insignificant if you are talking about it as a useable system.
OP clearly meant a gnu/linux system.
>>
>>54475292
No modern Chromebooks have screws anymore, now it's just esc, f3, power.

>>54475250
Flash bios, wipe SSD, install Seabios and new distro
>>
>>54475250

Chromebox is literally the prefect gift for a family/friend who is absolute shit with computers but wants to websurf/email/netflix/videochat/watch pirate movies (mp4). Bought one for a family member and shocked how much they love it.
>>
>>54475250
>but I want to use Linux
Allow me to interject etcetc

It already runs the Linux kernel, friendo
>>
>>54475250
No, they're shit.
>>
>>54476350
tits or gtfo
>>
>>54475292
No you don't. Crouton is something completely allowed in developer mode
>>
I have one and for what I use it for I have no regrets. I use crouton for compling, pushing to remote git shit like that. If you live in a browser you should feel at home, at worst you can set up Rdp/vnc ect to your home pc if you have to use certain programs
>>
>>54475250
> intel celeron laptop

I preferer a ThinkPad, but ok.

For normies the only "difference" is the operative system, but you know that is a computer
>>
>>54476626
Didn't the N2840 Celeron in the 100$ Black Friday Acer CB3 have decent speeds when benchmarked?

Modern celerons aren't total shit, atom is still garbage but some of the better celerons such as the N2840 are comparable to older i3's.
>>
>>54475250
On many chromebooks you can wipe the Chrome OS and install a real linux distribution without that crouton thing. Acer C720 works really well for example.
>>
>>54475250
I got one for $60 off Craigslist. I installed crouton, but it's really too slow to be usable. It's mostly just a YouTube machine now. The cats like to watch birds on it.
>>
>>54475250
Installed Debian on my C720. It shipped with SeaBIOS, so it works well, and without any nonfree shit.

It's a little plasticky and having the power button directly above backspace pisses me off, but otherwise it's pretty chill.

>crouton
Not a virtual machine. As >>54475292 said, it's an Ubuntu chroot. However, I wouldn't bother with it unless you actually want ChromeOS -- a clean GNU/Linux install will serve you better tbqh
>>
>>54477710
>having the power button directly above backspace pisses me off
You can disable it, I disabled on Arch
>>
>>54477721
That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Just HandlePowerKey=ignore in logind.conf?
>>
>>54477732
Yeah
>>
>>54477736
Not sure if you care, but I actually had to change the setting in the GNOME Tweak Tool instead -- GNOME 3.14 must override/ignore the logind power settings or something.

Thanks senpai, you have improved my life.
>>
>>54475250
No, until they bring Android Google Play Store and Android apps
>>
>>54477900
>using Chrome OS unironically
>>
I'm on a Dell Chromebook 13, and I'll tell you outright that your options depend heavily on which model you bought.

Older models like the C720 have been so thoroughly explored that you can put a custom BIOS on it, slap a bigger SSD in, and install Windows 10 or even OS X.

Some models like mine you're limited to using Crouton by activating developer mode, using GalliumOS with a BIOS patch that's rather limited, or reflashing the BIOS with one where you can't go back to Chrome OS, but normal Linux will work if you're willing to spend time searching for and installing the drivers for things like the trackpad and keyboard backlighting until Coolstar gets his hands on the hardware in question to make a full BIOS.

The top row of keys after escape, barring the power button, are all recognized as normal function keys in Linux and Windows as far as I know, but you can map the keys however you want anyway.
>>
>>54478112
This guy's right. Galliumos is absolutely the way to go if you're on an Acer Chromebook 11 like I am right now. Support for this device came out less than a month ago and it's still amazing. Easy to setup too.
>>
They're for students, people who don't use their laptops for work, and old people
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.