[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you using the master race OS yet, /g/? Hack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12
File: os-x-el-capitan-logo-610x365.jpg (56 KB, 610x365) Image search: [Google]
os-x-el-capitan-logo-610x365.jpg
56 KB, 610x365
Why aren't you using the master race OS yet, /g/?

Hackintosh is so easy to install that even a literal retard could do it within a few hours. And it's free. There is literally no reason to use linux over OS X.

Compared to ganoo/loonix, OS X is:
>easier to install
>better hardware compatibility, things just work out of the box
>far better range of professional grade software (think adobe products)
>free, both libre and gratis (opensource.apple.com)
>beautiful. designed by artists, not fat basement dwellers
>it just works, no fighting with the operating system. maintaining a buggy, broken linux system is a full time job, which is why its users are often NEETs
>>
Have others experienced freezing and sometimes crashing of Mac OS X 10.11.4 while using Safari? Is this a known issue or is it just me?

The way this manifests itself is that scrolling and mouse movements suddenly start to get slow and jerky. Then, within 30 seconds to a minute, the keyboard stops working and mouse clicks no longer have an effect, but the mouse cursor will still move. Then it either stays that way indefinitely or the system crashes. The only recourse is to force a reboot using the power button.

This happens to me every other day, but I cannot reproduce it on demand. I believe (but I'm not certain) that the first such crash has occurred before the recent upgrade to 10.11.4.
>>
Hello I have updated a macbook pro retina with El Capitan and I found out today that I can't open system preferences>keyboard>input sources.
Every time I press input sources the system preferences crash and close.
>>
My macbook pro freezes multiple times during the day during the use of different applications. This did not happen before El Capitan. I removed safari extensions, although ghostery shows up under etrecheck. Can someone spot a likely suspect in the following etrecheck? I read the other questions similar to mine and didn't see how they were solved.
>>
since 2-3 days OSX 10.11.4 on my mid 2009 Macbook Pro keeps crashing (uptime more or less 1-2 hours) for no apparent reason.
The screen freezes, the application in the foreground stays visible everything else on the screen turns pitch black. If i remember correctly t never happened while i was doing something, but only when I was away from keyboard.

Only way to resolve so far --> hard reset and reboot.
One thing I noticed, although I had about 8 crashes there are only 3 Kernel panic Logs in console. (Happy to provide those...)

Tired to do a backup so I can re-install but TimeMachine takes too long, so I would need some way of fixing it...
I plan to update hardware in June, so It would be really great if the old Chap (system is on a SSD and 4 G RAM) would keep in running for a little longer.
>>
Since updating my MacBook Pro to El Capitan, the sleep function has ceased to work. The screen saver kicks in as it always has, but it just keeps running unless the laptop is closed. Energy Saver: Display sleep is set for 10 minutes. Computer sleep is set for 15 minutes. I've checked the Activity Monitor for any apps that might interfere with the sleep function (show a "Yes" in the preventing sleep column). There are none. I gather I can reset the SMC, but thought I would inquire of the community before doing that.
>>
About a week or two ago, I started having two issues.

1. Safari won't close, even with a force quit. I hold down the power button to reboot and when the computer reboots I open safari and try to close it again, it does the same thing.

2. I start with 32GB after a restart, but after an hour or so, I get messages that say I only have a few MB of space left and that the drive is running out of room. I delete some things to clear room, and it fills right back up. When I restart, it goes right back to the 32GB.

Any ideas? Are these related?
>>
File: 739.png (53 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
739.png
53 KB, 625x626
>>
Come install it for me then, fuckwit. Oh you can't because apple sucks and locks everything down tighter than your mom locks down the chicken tendies when you've been shitposting.
>>
REALITY CHECK

>pre-installed
>worse hardware compatibility
>"professional grade software" for a minority of professions you probably aren't even interested in
>designed by a crack team of artists and pretentious autists
>buggy POS system with unfinished and broken features everywhere, characteristic of a company that couldn't even make its own modern OS without stealing a BSD
>>
>>54474351
>>54474363
>>54474372
>>54474383
>>54474396
>>54474410
What the fuck
>>
apple's known to have the best customer service in the business. have you considered scheduling an appointment at your local apple store?
>>
8 posters = op + me + 5 anons + 6 samefags
>>
Because Hackintosh and firewire do not play well together. despite all the people who recommend TI chips that work "flawlessly".
>>
>>54474238
>Hackintosh is so easy to install that even a literal retard could do it within a few hours. And it's free.
It is easy to install and get running, but you most likely don't have much experience with OSx86 if you think getting it to run is everything.

You need to make or at least get a proper DSDT for your motherboard, you need to generate your own SSDT and make sure the CPU properly steps and isn't stuck at three steps where it only switches between 200Mhz, 1.6GHz and 3.8GHz.

You need the correct kexts for your hardware, set up Clover for kext patching on-the-go so you don't need to fiddle around when the next minor update removes the kext for your sound codec. You need to ensure that the GPU throttles up and down correctly, make sure it sleeps correctly, monitor the system through FakeSMC to check that it acts properly.

Since you find it so easy, my guess is that you and your lot are using OS X distros like the fucking Niresh crap. Hacked-together installation CDs with outdated kexts, custom bullcrap and guaranteed backdoors. You have absolutely no fucking clue what is going behind the scenes and the filthy Russians or other middle Europeans who made it are laughing at you by sending you a million custom notifications to tell you how fucked you are in terms of security and stability. There's a reason why the hackintosh community loathes Niresh, iATKOS and their lot, they provide nothing but problems. Either install OS X through Clover, or don't bother at all.
>>
otherwise 10/10 OS but the Finder sidebar bug makes me want to kill myself
>>
>>54474238
>Why aren't you using the master race OS yet, /g/?
but I am. since snow leopard, only use windows for gaming.
>>
>>54474238

Currently am. I don't know why it gets so much hate. It's worked perfectly for me so far.

Running Mac Pro '08 and just put in SSD (on PCI card) and USB 3.0 card. The GTX 680 works perfectly (except no apple boot screen) and still can play Fallout 3 on very high settings on bootcamp. The bootup time is insane.
>>
Thank you Panjeet. Another 10INR have been deposited into your account. Your continued support is appreciated.
>>
>>54475897
>except no apple boot screen
delete the -v flag from your bootloader
>>
File: 3c9lkG3.jpg (103 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
3c9lkG3.jpg
103 KB, 858x536
>>54474238

>10.6.8 = SHIT
>>
>>54474238
>There is literally no reason to use linux over OS X.
Unless you want to do pci-e passthrough, use a realiable filesystem, have decent gpu performance or even have any sort of real performace.
>>
But anon I am
>>
>>54477023

>10.11
>core 2 duo

Enjoy your shit perfomance.
>>
>>54477104
It works great. If it didn't I wouldn't be using it.
>>
>>54475904
Lazy shitposting. Why would Apple hire Panjeet, when hipsters would shill for free? Steve's ghost just has to mention some crap about saving the whales or being gender neutral to get them onboard.
>>
>>54475657

Is this bug that all your favourites folder just up and fuck off?

Because I've noticed that happening for about a week every 2 months or so. They come back eventually but I have no idea what causes it
>>
>>54474238

Because:

>GPU drivers/perfomance is a shit
>Finder is a shit
>HFS+ is a shit
> >10.6.8 is a shit

Apple has managed to spoil OS X.
>>
>>54474238
>better hardware compatibility than gnu/linux
top fucking kek
>>
Barring the heavily rumored and logical introduction of Siri in OS X (which will be renamed MacOS/macOS). What else is there even left to include into the OS? A new filesystem and maybeee ARM support but honestly I can't think of anything.
>>
>>54477668
- PCI-e passthrough
- Vulkan
- Current within the last 3 years opengl standards
- A GOOD new filesystem (they almost had this but Oracle's licensing also killed ZFS on OSX)
- Better multimonitor support (still can't have a setup with 3 monitors and the dock on the side of the middle monitor)
- Volume control whilst using digital outputs
- MDworker to not steal all of my fucking cpu cycles

I can think of more.
>>
>>54475633
i never did DSDTs, SSDTs and only 2 kexts i needed were ethernet and sound ones. Clover took care of the rest, and my GPU is supported in OSX by default.
>>
I have an Optiplex 7010 with an i5 3470, and GTX 970

How would it run with El Capitan? And how easy will it be to install?
>>
How do I install OSX?
How can I find out if my software is compatible?
>>
eh, I'm still on Yosemite. Still just werks, still gets updates. Don't need any more of the iOS integration features and I've heard El Capitan battery life is worse
>>
>>54477988
Hardware*
>>54477992
>eh, I'm still on Yosemite. Still just werks, still gets updates. Don't need any more of the iOS integration features and I've heard El Capitan battery life is worse
>>
>>54475305
some idiot samefagging
>>
>>54478094
Remember to report the posts.
>>
>>54477156
Yeah thats the one.
>>
>>54477988
Google TonyMac
>>
>>54474238
But anon, I do.
>>
Because i cant put osx on my ux501 and make it work properly
>>
Waiting for the Macbook Pro 2016 to drop
>>
>>54474238
All the pros are simply lies or just severely misrepresenting reality.

My Ubuntu Installation took 20 minutes to do and maintenance does itself.
>>
If I could install OS X on my Chromebook Pixel LS, I would in an instant.
>>
>>54474238
>>easier to install
Only if you already have a machine running it
>>better hardware compatibility, things just work out of the box
Or they dont work at all.
>>far better range of professional grade software (think adobe products)
Or you can just pirate windows for that trash
>>free, both libre and gratis (opensource.apple.com)
But linux is 100% open, while OSx isn't
>>beautiful. designed by artists, not fat basement dwellers
Gay
>>it just works, no fighting with the operating system. maintaining a buggy, broken linux system is a full time job, which is why its users are often NEETs
*buntu just werks, too

Overall, you have no arguments for OSX
>>
>just started using hackintosh
>applel will switch to ARM in the next years
fugg
>>
>>54478793
>applel will switch to ARM in the next years
who told you this? if you read it on insanely mac, you should read the "its an april's fools joke" tag at the bottom
>>
>>54474238
>>easier to install
>>better hardware compatibility, things just work out of the box
>>it just works, no fighting with the operating system. maintaining a buggy, broken
No, not really and you're perfectly aware of that. It only applies to apple setups.
>>
>>54478813
It's the next logical step after the new macbook.
>>
OSX is perfect for a facebook machine and the grapgic design meme, it can't compete outside of media creation.
>>
>>54478828
>MBP with arm cpu
that will never happen
>>
>>54478828
It remains to be seen whether ARM performance would scale well with higher power envelope. Besides, getting the 3rd party software supports sounds like a nightmare, even in Applels position.

>>54478842
So everything related to text, images, video, audio, not to forget app development and coding. Sounds like the majority of things normal people use their pcs for.
>>
>>54478891
>Besides, getting the 3rd party software supports sounds like a nightmare, even in Applels position.
You know they moved from architectures before, right? PPC to Intel is a hell of a lot worse than x86 to ARM.
>>
>>54478962
Intel was a widely used architecture on desktops, ARM is used for toys; and porting x86 software to it sounds harder than the other way around.
>>
>>54479031
>Intel was a widely used architecture on desktops
So?

>ARM is used for toys
Apple's toolkits already support ARM. It'd be trivial for them to extend the desktop features to support ARM as well. In fact Apple probably has OS X built for ARM already, seeing as they had every version of OS X also ported to Intel, way before they ever switched.

>porting x86 software to it sounds harder than the other way around.
Porting to the same OS on a different architecture, especially when your application is using libraries and resources that come with the OS means many developers wouldn't have to do anything more than to make sure they compile their application for ARM as well as x86. It wouldn't be very hard at all.
The real issue is whether or not an ARM CPU could run an x86 binary translator at usable speeds like Rosetta could.
>>
>>54474238
Have you ever actually set up a Hackintosh, anon? I did, and not only was I stuck on Yosemite, I also never got my sound card to work. It doesn't "just work" on non-Apple hardware.

I still think it's a great OS, but I'm planning on buying an actual Mac for it now. Maybe I'm a bigger retard than I thought. Whatever, so are tons of other people who haven't even attempted running OS X on PC hardware.
>>
I would use it if I didn't get fucking random black screens since my r9 390 doesn't play nicely with OSX
>>
>>54474238
What kind of drugs are you on, and how would i go about acquiring them ?
>>
Have hackintosh, it's like 90 day uptime stable as fuck, that is unless I enable sleep. If it goes to sleep then 1/10 times it freezes when waking up. Even stranger is that sometimes when it freezes it takes down my entire home netork until the machine is shutoff.

Any suggestions? I gave up trying to fix it, especially since it takes so long to replicate the issue. EL capitan, gigabyte board with Haswell i5.
>>
Works like a charm. Dual booting Windows 0 for gaymes
>>
>>54478228
Thanks, almost forgot to report OP.
>>
>>54474238
when i am on my hackintosh partition and i save images to my hard drive it saves them with .dstore and .example.jpg

i know this is a mac thing but is there a way to stop it? sick of my wank folders getting clogged up with shit..
>>
>>54474238
I am using OS X, it's awful.

>easier to install
Unless you own a non-Apple computer, in which case, you're fucked
Unless you own a non-Apple computer, in which case, you're fucked
>far better range of professional grade software (think adobe products)
This is a negative, not a positive. More proprietary software is undesirable.
>free, both libre and gratis (opensource.apple.com)
Please show me the source code to the window manager, there is something about it that's annoying me and I would like to submit a small patch to fix it.
>beautiful. designed by artists, not fat basement dwellers
Well I still think it looks ugly.
>it just works, no fighting with the operating system. maintaining a buggy, broken linux system is a full time job, which is why its users are often NEETs
I have had a lot of serious problems with crashing and instability on OS X lately, way more than on GNU/Linux. Apple's software quality is actually shit.
>>
File: 1451090758940.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1451090758940.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I am though.
>>
File: osx.png (27 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
osx.png
27 KB, 1024x768
>hackintosh
>>
>>54475633
>DSDT
>SSDT
>steps
>patching
>GPU
What the fucking fuck shitty system are you using anon?? Always use a Gigabyte mobo an Nvidia card w/ web drivers. You'll need ethernet and sound kexts, and that's it.
>>
>>54483772
pretty much
>>
File: 1460481058636.jpg (104 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1460481058636.jpg
104 KB, 800x800
>>beautiful. designed by artists, not fat basement dwellers

>Dock.
>>
>>54483625
shit game
shit top
>>
File: 1459960536624.png (138 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1459960536624.png
138 KB, 375x375
>>54483772
>being this retard
top kek
>>
>>54484226
>remove all icons
>set it to as small as it can be
>disable magnification
>turn on hiding
>place on secondary monitor
>forget it exists
>>
>>54474238
>>easier to install

Good lord... Have you ever tried?
Took me 4 days of fiddling to have everything working, and still... I admit I have hardware from 8 years ago but man. I had to make peace and accept it only runs properly with Apple hardware.
>>
File: 1462587198509.png (51 KB, 256x286) Image search: [Google]
1462587198509.png
51 KB, 256x286
>>54484293
>throw it in trash
>forget it exists
>>
>>54484320
>>
File: 1459845163907.gif (822 KB, 600x366) Image search: [Google]
1459845163907.gif
822 KB, 600x366
>>54484293
>this jank
>>
>>54474238
Installing it's fairly easy, it's just a HUMONGOUS pain in the ass to get it running while using NVIDIA web drivers, and using all four cores of my CPU.
>>
>>54484340
Had better compatibility with linux, although I have to admit zero GPU driver problems which is fantastic.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.