[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm really expected to buy windows again if my hard drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Attach8041_20160302_001425.jpg (3 MB, 2890x1246) Image search: [Google]
Attach8041_20160302_001425.jpg
3 MB, 2890x1246
I'm really expected to buy windows again if my hard drive fails and I bought the digital version...?
>>
>>54473626
Yes.
>>
>>54473823
:(
>>
Or you can always install gentoo
>>
>>54473626
just call microsoft up when it asks you for the key and explain to them. You did pay for it after all so you should have a email with receipt somewhere...
>>
Yes, welcome to proprietary software
>>
>using windows
>>
>>54473626
No, digital entitlements (old OEM non-transferable licence equivalent) key to your motherboard. Replacing your HD (SSD, surely, for a system disk?) or formatting/reinstalling wouldn't/shouldn't need a key, rather it would be auto-activated. If it didn't, you could call up and get it reactivated over the phone (either by some robo vocaloid, or a Pajeet).

If you upgraded to Windows 10 from a Retail (transferable) licence, then same, but you should be able to just enter the key if you swapped the motherboard; if that failed, call them and they will activate it for you. The EULA is clear that the licence type doesn't change: OEM stays locked to the hardware (specifically motherboard is the part they consider a 'new computer', legally) and retail remains perpetually transferable - if you upgrade during the qualifying period from Windows 7 retail, say, you'll have a perpetual transferable Windows 10 retail licence.

(MS legal take fucking forever to respond. This is NOT legal advice, merely parroting what they said on the record.)

Obligatory reminder that free operating systems don't have copy protection or activation bullshit. But if you find Windows comfier for a desktop, I understand.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.