[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypothetically, since the current gen consoles are so close to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: XboxOneWindows10.jpg (17 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
XboxOneWindows10.jpg
17 KB, 658x370
Hypothetically, since the current gen consoles are so close to "off the shelf" PCs, could you make slight modifications to the Xbox One or PS4 operating system to install it on a virtual machine? Could you actually get it to play games correctly like that?
>>
>>54470617
>since the current gen consoles are so close to "off the shelf" PCs
they are not.

emulators for LAST-GEN consoles (PS3, 360) barely exist and won't run commercial games, these things are like 10 years old

CURRENT-GEN consoles are even more divergent and may not be emulated ever during their market lifetime
>>
>>54470673
But last gen consoles used weird, custom CPUs and stuff. This generation, it's just slightly modified AMD chips from what I understand. Shouldn't that make emulation easier, DRM measures aside?
>>
>>54470617
Not that simple anon.
Especially with the xbone, there are several heartaches that prevent any form of modifications.
Server-side shit, encryption-shit, binary-shit, the whole cabob.
The xbox one doesnt even have it's OS on the harddrive, its hosted on a separate onboard chip.
Maybe eventually we'll have an emulator but no time soon, is my guess.
>>
>>54470701
>But last gen consoles used weird, custom CPUs and stuff.

current-gen consoles use weird, custom memory architectures and weird, custom drivers/BIOS which are as different from PC equivalents as the hardware was last gen

for example, shared pool memory instead of RAM+VRAM, encrypted bus standards, etc
>>
>>54471452
Thanks for explaining that.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.