[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Powerline Adapters.....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
Are they legit or a meme?
>netgear 1200
>>
they are a legit meme
>>
>>54469154
If by "are they legit" you mean "do they work", then yes.

If by "are they a meme", you mean "there are better alternatives", then also yes.
>>
File: 0000000053627857.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
0000000053627857.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>54469175
>>
>>54469154
>>54469175

Both of you, kill yourselves.

They work and can be handy to have around.
>>
Takes a little trial and error to find the best combination of plugs to use but yeah it works fine.
>>
theyre legit as hell
>>
Got a few, noisy devices knock them out, so eh. They work well when they work though, just grab your house's wiring diagram to save you lots of fucking around.

Still, would buy noise resistant units in a heartbeat. Anything over 50w on a Chinese transformer will kill the connection.
>>
They're 2 legit 2 quit
>>
>>54469154
>nutted_but_she_still_suckin.jpg
>>
I'm using one right now (not that brand). I have two annoyances with it.

1) Despite staying well below the indicated data transfer rate, it occasionally shits out if I put high demand on it. It's rare that I have so much network activity going on at once but if it happens I need to unplug/replug the source adapter.

2) The peripheral adapters seem to "fall asleep" during inactivity. There's no indication that it happened apart from losing connection and the solution is to unplug/replug the adapter. By inactivity I don't mean hours, but even a single minute or less. I run a constant ping to my modem so that the adapter is always active. This has resolved the problem.
>>
>>54469154
as a networking guy I highly, highly do not recommend powerline networking.

As >>54469391 said,
>it occasionally shits out if I put high demand on it

This is because powerline adapters have lots, and lots, and lots of packet collisions. Their performance can not compare to wired ethernet or Wi-Fi. It's not even close. They are truly a meme.
>>
>>54469461
whats a better way to connect to my router a couple of rooms a way? I have a wifi card and its okay but doesnt give me the performance i desire.
>>
If running cable isn't an option, I'd choose wireless over EOP any time.
>>
>>54469461
also, if you have more than 1 or 2 powerline adapters on your network, it's only going to get worse. PLA's aren't even full duplex, and all your PLA's share the same throughput.

Also the further the distance the worse the performance, obviously, due to attenuation
>>
>>54469532
>whats a better way to connect to my router a couple of rooms a way

>what device are you trying to connect?
>does this device have a wireless adapter
>is your target room on the same height level as your router, or is it down/upstairs?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDt77CBoZxY
>>
How well they work depends on how good the wiring is in your house. I have the Netgear Powerline adapters and if I do a speed test, I'll get like 20mbit for awhile, then it'll go to 0 for a minute, then it'll come back to 20mbit, etc. My internet connection is 50mbit.

No matter what I tried - bypassing surge protectors, using different combinations of outlets, etc. I got the same result.

If your house has old/bad wiring, don't bother.
>>
They work some of the time.

The issue is they'll never be as reliable as an Ethernet network.
>>
>>54469574
desktop pc
yes
same height level but the rooms are fairly far apart
>>
I moved into a new apartment (built same year i moved into) and using powerline as I rent. Ran it for over a year, haven't had any problems with it and got full 30/20 speed. The wiring here is brand new and up todate so that is probably why it works so well.
>>
>>54469677
Wireless will definitely be better than a powerline adapter network. If your current wireless isn't satisfactory, take the money you'd spend on power line adapters and buy a new wireless router instead. Can get a good one for less than 50 bucks
>>
>>54469708
excellent advice, thank you for taking the time to help me out!
>>
>>54469391
>I run a constant ping to my modem so that the adapter is always active
woah, you madman, you will run out of pongs, or sequence numbers
>>
>>54469391
And as comparison I've never had either of these problems over the 2 years and 4 different houses I've used powerline adapters in, your mileage will vary.
>>
>>54469461
>This is because powerline adapters have lots, and lots, and lots of packet collisions
collisions are a feature of csma/cd, that's what the preamble is for, or do you mean late collisions? because that would be a problem with duplex
>>
>>54469708
I'm in a similiar situation ,been using powerline and I have issues with it. Sometimes my internet lags to the point where I have to go and replug my powerline. My house has old wiring and im using it for desktop. My router is in the basement and im on the 2nd floor. Would a wireless adapter be better?
>>
>>54469154
They work but they drop connection often.

>browsing web
connection drops for ~min every 15 or so minutes

>playing online game
no problems
>>
>>54469807
yeah that's what I meant, since PLA's aren't even full duplex
>>
>>54469888
because all PLA's on the network share a single collision domain
>>
>>54469274
>Anything over 50w on a Chinese transformer will kill the connection.
I think I found your problem.
>>
Powerline sucks but works sometimes when desperate. I use it for my guest network only. I can only get about 8Mbps max and its inconsistent. Theres packet loss sometimes.

Assuming your home is wired for cable TV, MoCA adapters are a million times better. I get full 100Mbps easily and they are rock solid. Only downside is they are expensive, about 100 for a pair of actiontecs. Depending on how your homes coax is wired you might even need two pairs. But its totally solid and worth it IMO
>>
File: 1462837813656.jpg (21 KB, 510x480) Image search: [Google]
1462837813656.jpg
21 KB, 510x480
>>
File: 0002.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18 KB, 128x128
>>54469154
Not a meme, they actually work.
>>
>>54469154
Works best when on the same circuit but the belkin adapters I have are pretty good
>>
isn't cheap router with ddwrt better than this?
>>
>>54469185
So what is a better alternative? Excluding physical connection of course.
>>
>>54472861
Sometimes direct lines arent an option, and the place is too fucked for decent wireless.
>>
>>54469154
I've used them for getting Ethernet between floors of a 2 story house. They seem to work pretty well
>>
This thread is a meme.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.