[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /g/ I want to learn about programming and software reverse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (36 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
36 KB, 480x360
Hello /g/

I want to learn about programming and software reverse engineering.

I already do scripting with python and bash and basic Java stuff so I am not totally new to it all. But I have no clue about these low level things like cpu registers, assembly language, pointers, etc. I have been reading about some of these things but one thing seems to assume knowledge of the next round in a circle and I am not really sure where to actually jump in first.

How is this kind of thing taught in universities for people with zero knowledge of the hardware stuff?
>>
>>54451393
oh yeah and I want to learn how to use things like OllyDbg and IDA Pro, kernel debuggers and such.
>>
>>54451393
Start with "K&R the C programming language".
>>
>>54451462
Yeah I am learning C but it doesn't go into any details of things like debuggers, CPUs, etc. obviously it is just C :)
>>
>>54451567
Then go on to the "Dragon book"
>>
>>54451393
>How is this kind of thing taught in universities for people with zero knowledge of the hardware stuff?

>assembly language
Normally part of computer engineering classes. You learn basics of electrical engineering, semi conductors and transistors and shit, logic gates, von Neumann computers and all that, and then, having a solid basis, you learn assembler.
>pointers
You mean pointers like in C and C++?
Pointers aren't a hard concept. All you really need to understand is that data like your variables are stored in your RAM, and the data has a physical address. That is the location of the data in the ram, and the pointer points at the location. That's literally it, but you should look up a place that can explain it better for beginners. But this is where I would jump in if I was you because it's the easiest.
>>
>>54451630
thanks. do you have any recommendations on how one would go about learning these things by themselves?

I am learning the basics of pointers now with K&R. seems to make sense. I have read that understanding how things work in assembly makes pointers really make sense though. is there a good place to get started learning about assembly language, cpu registers and how it all goes together to make a program?

having a read about things i think a cpu register is like a super fast place in memory yeah? some do special things depending on what you put in them, etc.

>>54451629
cheers. i will have a look at it. you mean the compiler book?
>>
>>54451567
don't read the dragon book don't listen to that guy
The dragon book is a highly technical book about compilers.
Hacking the art of exploitation is a great book to start learning that stuff, despite the title. Of course it is more oriented towards exploits such as buffer overflow but at least the first two chapters form a great tutorial on machine level instructions and analyzing them with gdb.
Then look up Reverse Engineering for Beginners. It requires little background knowledge and it's comprehensive as niggers.
Are you on Windows? If so you're in luck, Either read 'practical malware analysis' or 'Reversing, secrets of reverse engineering'
have fun
>>
>>54452200
cheers mate! off to bed now but will have a read of everything tomorrow. night
>>
>>54451393
>programming and software reverse engineering
What do you plan on RE? Are you talking about hardware structure? Are you talking about ripping apart software programs?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.