[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What /g/ jobs won't be affected once the tech startup meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: siliconvalley.jpg (281 KB, 566x449) Image search: [Google]
siliconvalley.jpg
281 KB, 566x449
What /g/ jobs won't be affected once the tech startup meme bubble bursts?

People who program shit in Rails are to get totally #shrekt when there are suddenly no meme companies to work for anymore. I also wonder if a shitton of Data Scientists are going to be suddently unemployed.

Java masterrace should be okay. Business Intelligence, IT and anyone working with databases may survive, as they'll always be needed.

Any thoughts?
>>
McDonalds
Crying alone in the dark
>>
Here's what's gonna happen:
>this is your replacement, "pajeet"
>here is your severance pay, but you only get it if you train your replacement

They're gonna call it something cool like "graduation", and give you a nice little send-off on your last day.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/opinion/sunday/congratulations-youve-been-fired.html
>>
>>54450821
Business jobs. All the bubble ever happens around is shit attracting normies.
>>
>>54450821

>bubble after bubble
>millions of pajeets
>"everyone should code!" summer camps
>blue haired sjw code of conduct writers get hired faster at higher salaries
>pointer haired managers who can't tell good code from code monkey shit
>one minute you're a star, the next minute you're being out sourced or replaced by an h1b visa
>always learning a new meme language
>always worried about your job
>mechanics, plumbers, electricians, welders can all earn more
>firefighters and cops can earn more with lifetime job stability and huge benefits

Is a career in IT the ultimate meme?

I swear to God if I woke up tomorrow in my old bed the day after HS graduation, I would burn my college and student loan paperwork to ash and repeatedly apply to the fire department while simultaneously learning a trade like welding or electrical work. I was the straight A student who was "going to do so well because there's so much money in computers" and I've lost count of the relatives I know who can show better, more stable, long term earnings.

I might stick it out if Trump sends everyone home, but otherwise fuck this industry.
>>
>>54451076
Don't worry brah, it is actually a meme career. I am currently doing it for the money, but there are other easier ways to make money and enjoy life.
>>
Companies always need pc janitors.
>>
>>54450821
>>54450821
>What /g/ jobs won't be affected once the tech startup meme bubble bursts?
The ones that actually do something useful.
>>
>>54451076
Sort of this

Got into a tech company in a BI role.

Enjoying learning programming, but the meme apocalypse could be right around the corner, so I'm not sure I'll aim to be a codemonkey.

BI isn't sexy, but I can see a longer future for it than the countless rails developers or UX designers out there now. I hope.
>>
>>54451122
>>54451076
Both of these things are true -but here's the thing:

>always learning a new meme language

To people who actually *enjoy* this line of work, the constant learning, constant improving, constant motion is a positive, not a negative.

If you want a "stable" tech job where you never have to learn anything new, go learn how to program mainframes (z/OS and the like). You'll work for a bank, insurance company, or some other stuffy megacorp writing JCL and Cobol, but you'll be making at least six figures.
>>
>>54451076
Try to be self employed, that's my ultimate goal.

I know it sounds memey but I think a career in the gaming industry would be pretty good these days. The market is huge and there is always demand. Being a successful indie dev would be real nice.
>>
File: 1457305145943.png (52 KB, 152x198) Image search: [Google]
1457305145943.png
52 KB, 152x198
>>54451352
>this deluded anon
>>
>>54451282
>>always learning a new meme language
>To people who actually *enjoy* this line of work, the constant learning, constant improving, constant motion is a positive, not a negative.

I love learning new shit. But re-inventing the wheel for the 10th time because some faggot decided MemeLanguage X is so much better than MemeLanguage Y drives me up the fucking wall.

I'm an old fag by /g/ standards and I've been in this shit since the late 90's. Want to know a secret? Small syntax changes and meme coding practices do not radically improve productivity or quality. If anything the constant turn over harms forward progress because we keep rewriting code to do the same damn things. And we go through the same damn problems and debug cycles because that's just what happens when you start from scratch, whether it's a program or a jet or a rocket.

The introduction of .NET was the last time I remember thinking "huh...this really improves things." Of course there have been a dozen meme changes since that first introduction. Microsoft touts them as the next great thing and they are meaningless shit.
>>
>>54451352
>Try to be self employed, that's my ultimate goal.

I've been there before and I'm there now.

Pros:
* You do have more control over your time.
* You can tell abusive clients to fuck off.
* You can write just about any computer related purchases off your taxes.

Cons:
* You are always looking for the next contract.
* You are always competing against Pajeet.com.
* You are always waiting to get paid.
* You will get in a bind where you have money on paper (invoices out) but are eating Del Taco because there's nothing in your checking account.
* You pay all your SS taxes in the form of "Self Employment Tax".
* You have no benefits.
* You will have time periods when you do nothing but work.
* Instability of income and schedule will fuck up your marriage if you have one, or make it impossible to get married.
* If you think your hourly rate will make up for this, see the note about Pajeet.com.

>I know it sounds memey but I think a career in the gaming industry would be pretty good these days. The market is huge and there is always demand.

Heard that from a friend at a gaming company. Applied. Not even an interview. "I don't understand anon they were begging me to refer good programmers, they always talk about how they need more people, and you're clearly qualified."

A few months later: job filled by H1B visa.

Companies maintain the illusion that they're desperate for people while holding the position open long enough to check the "I looked for an American!" box on the H1B visa form.

My opinion on this has gone to extremes. I either want Trump to win and send every last fucking foreigner home. Or I want Bernie to win and set a 90% tax bracket on corporations for gibsmedats that maybe I can apply for. No middle ground.
>>
>>54450821
Software Engineer. I will be fine.
>>
>>54450821
Anything that would require on-site time. Startup bubble lasts until uniqueness dies off and people go back to wanting shit that just works, because then 3rd world countries that pay dollars a day will put everyone coding out of work. The other alternative is working with companies that deal with sensitive data that they can't ship overseas, such as government databases and privileged information. Most of the sector will die off for Western worlds until the robots take the role of cheap labour.
>>
>>54451282
>>54451076
is R a meme language?
>>
>>54453928
>check out this naive guy

>>54454114
>The other alternative is working with companies that deal with sensitive data that they can't ship overseas, such as government databases and privileged information.

This doesn't exist outside of the defense department. Every state and the Feds will happily outsource your private info to RajeeshProcessing.
>>
>>54450821
Power systems. Shitty industry, worse pay, but at least we're always in business.
>>
be a sys admin bro.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.