[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: apple_imac_21.5_inch_1.jpg (273 KB, 1502x808) Image search: [Google]
apple_imac_21.5_inch_1.jpg
273 KB, 1502x808
PC BSD, Free BSD
Open BSD, Net BSD
iOS, OS X Are all welcome.
Do you have a BSD Machine?
>>
BSD is pretty comfy and it actually respects your freedom unlike Linux and the GPL.

Freedom + restrictions ≠ Freedom
>>
File: 1459323196415.jpg (3 MB, 5120x2880) Image search: [Google]
1459323196415.jpg
3 MB, 5120x2880
OS X isn't BSD
>>
>>54446895
It's a downstream derivative of BSD. As related as Linux Mint and Debian
>>
Won't lie, I've had an itch for making a non-OS X BSD work as a secondary desktop OS for a while now (currently using OS X). The thing that's been holding me back is the ugly fact that practically everything FOSS desktop is drenched in Linuxisms and that there isn't a BSD that includes a DE that's developed as part of the OS as a whole as much as the kernel or init system is.

PC-BSD's DE is a step in the right direction but doesn't go nearly far enough.
>>
>>54447257
Same here, how hard could it possibly be to wrap a BSD with a solid DE and decent installer?
>>
>>54447329
I think the primary holdup is an alternative to X11 that works with BSD. Wayland support is being worked on in FreeBSD, but even that isn't ideal since it bakes some system design decisions into it, plus it requires driver support. Both spell trouble for the BSDs.
>>
>>54447257
>>54447329
XFCE is the closest you can get to a portable DE.

They even use it as a selling point of their site, by showing it running on OpenBSD.
>>
>>54447069
Nope. OS X uses a Mach/XNU kernel, not an BSD kernel, so it's not a BSD.
>>
>>54444792
my bsd hackintosh PC
>>
>>54448717
>Mavericks
It's a great OS X version without a doubt - I miss its UI theme and general snappiness even now - but devs aren't going to be supporting it for much longer and security issues will become an increasingly larger problem as time. I'm planning on dropping 10.9 support in the mac apps I develop as soon as 10.11 or macOS 11 or whatever it's called is released.
>>
>>54448671
XFCE is great but there needs to be a definitive desktop BSD with a DE that's in the same class as GNOME 3, Unity, and Quartz/Aqua. Something that's clean and functional yet modern and fresh enough to really put FOSS BSDs on the map in a big way. And of course, this BSD must be developed as a single piece from kernel to cursor.

I think something like that would really make waves.
>>
>>54445374
Without restrictions, you can't keep Linux free. People WILL make proprietary software and eventually, Linux will be closed source if people don't respect the "restriction" (in this case, GNU/GPL licence).
>>
File: 1459815198667.jpg (80 KB, 1333x900) Image search: [Google]
1459815198667.jpg
80 KB, 1333x900
>>54448702
BSD is a userland as well as a kernel, you numbnut
>>
>>54449447
Nope. BSD is the operating system. It can also run with Linux.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.