[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
$7/month cellphone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Project_Ara_scattered_parts.png (511 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Project_Ara_scattered_parts.png
511 KB, 720x480
Anyone smart like me and use prepaid phone? I pay $20 for 180 minutes for 90 days (which is far more than enough). Averages to only $7 a month. Text counts as half a minute. No plans, no contracts. Minutes carryover.

I carry two phones. One dumb phone (prepaid phone that makes calls), and a smartphone (can browse stuff with Wi-Fi but can't make calls). Only real downside is you can't browse on data and require Wi-Fi on smartphone to browse.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>54437772
All ive ever used is pre paid
Just seems easier and cheaper somehow, i dont make heaps of calls or use it that much and ive always been put off by having to sign up to some weird contract and receive monthly bills
>>
>>54437772
I have a job, so penny pinching in not part of my daily activities. You should try applying to some interesting positions in your city. Besides, your parents want to have loud, dirty sex, but your constant presence interferes with that activity.
>>
File: laughing-dog.jpg (24 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
laughing-dog.jpg
24 KB, 450x337
>>54437772
>only uses 180mins every 3 months
>obviously has no life/job/friends
>actually believes he's smart
>>
>>54437821
>you can't penny pinch even if you have a good job

>>54437831
I use Telegram to communicate to everyone on smartphone because Wi-Fi is everywhere (work and home are the two main places). I use text messages (half a minute per text on prepaid) on places where I don't have Wi-Fi. Another bonus is prepaid phone can last a week of battery life.
>>
>>54437831
Let me finish the post for you

>no data because he does not need IMs for friends on the go
>use less than 360 SMS OVER ***THREE*** MONTHS
>>
File: laughingmantis.jpg (43 KB, 620x423) Image search: [Google]
laughingmantis.jpg
43 KB, 620x423
>>54437882
>>
>>54437772
why don't you just put the sim card in the smartphone so you only need to carry and charge one device? smartphones don't need expensive plans, the $70 plans are just for idiots who will pay that much

I recommend getting the cheapest data-only plan (aka tablet plan) and a voip phone account. a phone number (DID) costs about $1 a month with calls being about 1 cent a minute and SMS being free (though most SIP calling providers don't provide SMS). I've found that 1 megabyte tends to translate to 1 minute of calling if using a full 64 kbps codec, but if you make most calls from wifi you won't use much mobile data.

a cool advantage to this is that anyone who decrypts or MITMs your cellphone session still can't read your texts or listen to your phone calls, assuming your internet calling and texting uses TLS

also no roaming fees if you go to another country, but make sure that you SIP calling provider will make calls to the country you visit
>>
>>54437882
Who the fuck uses telegram? Are you a foreigner? In America we just use imessage
>>
>>54438015
Unfortunately, SIM card for dumb phone/prepaid will only work with specially made prepaid phone brand.

>>54437922
Only time I don't have Wi-Fi is when I'm driving or out with friends. I use Telegram all else.

>>54438094
>imessage
>>
>>54437922
I usually wake up to 400-500 messages. Its those fucking group chats.
>>
>>54437882
hello pajeet, 10 extra minutes of calls has been added to your phone, please have a nice day. thank you.
>>
>>54438094
That's not how you write whatsapp.
>>
>>54438123
Spotted the middle school no cellphone nigger. Go play angry birds on your iPod touch faggot.
>>
>>54438143
I don't use apple devices. I enjoy not having to take my phone out of my ass whenever I want to use it. You wouldn't understand.
>>
>>54438178
>le euphoric android user
You could have just said you were a dirty foreigner and I would have stopped replying.
>>
>>54438235
I'm not but please, do let it stop you.
>>
>>54438105
have you actually tried it? most of the time they just lie and say it won't work. usually they don't care what handset you use. almost all of the technical blocks work the other way, preventing you from using their handset with a competitor's network.

you may be able to call them and have them write an exception for your phone, but don't count on it

you can modify the phone's IMEI number to match your prepaid phone, but that's illegal in the USA (but not every country)

the only way this wouldn't work is if your prepaid phone is CDMA
>>
>>54437772
I dropped the cell phone meme completely and it feels great not carrying around a tracking device everywhere.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.