[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I got a job......
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_n5jd0lMjtl1rfwfq9o1_500.jpg (48 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5jd0lMjtl1rfwfq9o1_500.jpg
48 KB, 469x463
After nearly ten years of being a neet (basically due to mental health problems) I got a job as a sysadmin. A lot of how I got the job comes from stuff I found here so, at the risk of sounding obvious, here is a list of things that helped get me the job.

1. Have a github
2. Make a blog, host it on an ec2 instance
3. Have a certificate

If anyone is in the same (or similar) position that I was, I'll be happy to give advice.
>>
What courses did you studied and where?
>>
>>54423731
I took a RHCSA certificate, have been working a couple of months now and from what I've seen the cisco certs seem to be in pretty high demand now as well
>>
>>54423731
I just got a textbook and studied from home
>>
>>54423752
Hey thanks anon.
>>54423752
And how do I get one? Is it free? How difficult is it?

Complete noob here.
>>
>>54423731
Also, a charity payed half the fee for the certificate, so you can find help for funding
>>
>>54423787
Not so difficult for me because I'm not new to Linux. Sysadmin stuff isn't so hard and you can learn it from home pretty easily... (What else have you got to do?). I chose it as a job because nobody really understands what you're doing apart from the other sysadmins so if you have a bad day it's not so obvious
>>
Shameless self bump. This thread would have been so helpful to me six months ago
>>
What did you post on your github?
>>
>>54424106
And also on your blog.
>>
>>54423677
Currently in school doing cs

1) How much do you get paid?
2) Do you think GPA matters?
3) School takes the fun out of computing (I actually enjoy) because of its bullshit, what should I do?
4) Any pro tips for newly grads?
5) What languages are useful in reality
>>
There was a couple of personal projects. I got lucky and one of the guys that interviewed me had studied the same thing at UNI. There is some project euler and codeeval stuff on there as well. It's just so that potential employers can see how you think
>>
>>54424141
1. So far it's national average for my age. Pay will increase after a year when they can work out whar I'm worth to them
2. I did Shit at college, I think it matters but if you can do the job you'l overcome it eventually
3. I was warned about the job taking the fun out of it by one of my managers. For now in my spare time I have other hobbies but I expect to do some projects again when I've got used to working (in like 6 months or so)
4. Not sure how much my situation is similar to yours but for me attitude is everything. Basically I have nothing going for me apart from the fact I can learn and am willing to take a pay cut for a bit while I learn on the job. As soon as you can put across that you're passionate about the job they'll make you an offer. I've had a few offers apart from the one i took
5. That seems like a mixed bag to me. Where I work there are languages in demand that you wouldn't expect from looking online.They won't be in demand in other places. I think that when you're starting out all anyone is looking for is that you can think like a programmer. For my technical test I wrote a program in Perl. All they were looking for was that I could apply myself
>>
How long did you study for the RHSA? A couple of my buddies have taken it and have gotten good jobs. However, I heard it's very comprehensive and hard.
>>
>>54424253
Before working I've been taking 5 days a week therapy at a hospital for two years. I'd been doing odd computer job and when I realised I wanted to be a sysadminit took 6 months until I qualified with red hat. That took a while because the latest certificates want you to be familiar with systemd and i had no experience with that. I've heard of people taking a year out of work to get qualified. When it came to interviews, employers seemed more interested that I had studied for it by myself than how long it took
>>
>>54424252
thx senpai
>>
>>54423677
Who did you add as references?
Were they not put off by the lack of relevant experience? If you actually did have some experience, what was it?
How much is the pay?
>>
>>54425045
Yes they were put off by experience. I did have some experience. Before working i bought broken iphones and tablets on ebay, fixed and resold. They didn't give a shit apart from some of the PC's they use are custom builds. They cared that in my late teens I worked before being ill
>>
>>54425163
see >>54424106
>>
>>54425189
What?
>>
>>54425215
he wantsto know what you put on your git
>>
>>54425264
LOL it's maybe the hardest part to understand. If you're interested you'll find projects to put on there. Failing that I just put on my answers to famous online puzzles like code-eval and project euler
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.