[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: Steve Install Gentoo.png (988 KB, 800x973) Image search: [Google]
Steve Install Gentoo.png
988 KB, 800x973
IRC Edition!
Use the links further down ("IRC Connection Details") to chat with us.

Previously on: >>54406753

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
"I have done your mother." - RMS
>>
>>54421497
You could at least have posted one of his real quotes about legalizing incest/pedophilia/beastiality/etc
>>
>>54421497
literally Shakespeare
>>
>>54421503
But Anon it's a real quote.
>>
File: 1453923879142.png (102 KB, 1269x710) Image search: [Google]
1453923879142.png
102 KB, 1269x710
Pic related, but also a reminder that this is still 4chan.
>>
>>54421552
Obviously fake.
>>
>>54421503
"I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children. The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on cases which aren't voluntary, which are then stretched by parents who are horrified by the idea that their little baby is maturing. " - RMS

"A parrot once had sex with me. I did not recognize the act as sex until it was explained to me afterward, but being stroked on the hand by his soft belly feathers was so pleasurable that I yearn for another chance. I have a photo of that act; should I go to prison for it?" - RMS

"There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that willing participation in pedophilia hurts children. Granted, children may not dare say no to an older relative, or may not realize they could say no; in that case, even if they do not overtly object, the relationship may still feel imposed to them. That's not willing participation, it's imposed participation, a different issue. " - RMS

"For necrophilia, it might be necessary to ask the next of kin for permission if the decedent's will did not authorize it. Necrophilia would be my second choice for what should be done with my corpse, the first being scientific or medical use. Once my dead body is no longer of any use to me, it may as well be of some use to someone. Besides, I often enjoy rhinophytonecrophilia (nasal sex with dead plants). " - RMS

RMS has a really annoying voice. I was disappointed first time I heard it.
>>
Okay, I had OpenSUSE/Linux just shut off on me automatically three times, even though my laptop is plugged in and charging. Why does this happen and what should I do? This has not been an issue for most of the time I've had the distro.
>>
>>54421662
psychfag here, he is not wrong. he states the problem that imposed participation=!willing participation. the problem is that there is little evidence on anything in that field because it's one of the most taboo fields.
>>
>>54421662
The problem I have with these quotes are not the quotes itself, it's the retarded kids who don't understand what he's saying and call him a pedophile.
>>
I managed to bind a key to insert previously used files into the current command line in python. In particular it cycles through arguments containing a '/' from your shell history.

It depends on a python script I wrote to pull path-like arguments out of you history. The reason I used python is because it has shlex to handle parsing the shell quoting. I had a crack it doing it in shell but trying to parse eg
cat ~/My\ Pictures/"some file".tiff
was ... trying.
see here: https://gist.github.com/toofar/24d9ca7398201777da0f2e3b67c7d925
# function to cycle between last path like command line arguments used.
# Depends on sfs to pull path like argmunts out of history.
last_file_cycle() {
# Clear our saved variables if HISTCMD changes or the command line has
# changed
if [ -n "$LFC_HISTCMD" ] && [ "$HISTCMD" != "$LFC_HISTCMD" ];then
unset LFC_HISTCMD
unset LFC_ORIG_RLLINE
unset LFC_ORIG_RLPOINT
elif [ "$LFC_NEW_RLLINE" != "$READLINE_LINE" ];then
unset LFC_HISTCMD
unset LFC_ORIG_RLLINE
unset LFC_ORIG_RLPOINT
fi
if [ -z "$LFC_HISTCMD" ];then
LFC_ORIG_RLLINE="${READLINE_LINE}"
LFC_ORIG_RLPOINT="${READLINE_POINT}"
LFC_HISTCMD="$HISTCMD"
LFC_CYCLE=0
fi
LF=`history 100 |sfs -r -s$LFC_CYCLE`
LFC_CYCLE=$(($LFC_CYCLE+1))
LFC_NEW_RLLINE="${LFC_ORIG_RLLINE:0:LFC_ORIG_RLPOINT}$LF${LFC_ORIG_RLLINE:LFC_ORIG_RLPOINT}"
READLINE_LINE="${LFC_NEW_RLLINE}"
READLINE_POINT=$((LFC_ORIG_RLPOINT + ${#LF}))
}
bind -x '"\C-f":last_file_cycle'
>>
I have installed Arch.

I would like create a nice desktop like I see in the desktop threads.

Are there any guides or walkthroughs that can put me on the path to creating something?

I am using i3 currently, but I am happy to change.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>54421708
Good luck getting research funding for 'The effect of sexual contact with children on long term development'.
>>
>>54421730
Rice tutorial:
Step 1: Choose a wallpaper and choose it wisely.
Step 2: Use programs that let you customzie almost everything and try to use the wallpapers colors.
Step 3: Don't be a retard and stay away from desktop thread.

For recommended, highly customizable programs and window managers go here: https://rizonrice.github.io/resources
>>
Any rsnapshot users here? All my shit is fucking up. It still rotates backup folders but stopped copying/deleting files from the backup when the source is changed. I've redone my 6tb backup like 4 times over the last few days and it always manages to delete itself.
>>
>>54421701
hm, maybe my laptop was just close to overheating
>>
>>54421730
Great. Now please a zsh-like menu that shows up but also disappears again. Then zsh is finally btfo.
>>
>>54421745
I quoted wrong. >>54421795
>>
Open or proprietary drivers for AMD graphics?
Is there a way to scale screen size down on open drivers for AMD?
>>
>>54421764
Exactly. Nobody even dares to touch this. Speaking about it is already a problem.
>>
>>54421745
Just follow your heart. And write scripts.

I'd say wallpaper doesn't really matter. I can cycle though pictures randomly.
>>
What fonts do I need to install to read chink + nip characters?
>>
>>54422099
Chink + nip fonts
>>
open box ricing guide where?
>>
>>54421937
scale screensize down like with xrandr or do you mean scaling with gtk or qt? display scaling is very easy with things like gnome.
foss drivers should do fine.
>>
What is the difference between zsh and bash?
>>
>>54422177
scale screensize down like i have 1080p monitor but when i 1920x1080 it cuts down the edges like it's too big to fit
>>
Come from OS X thinking about starting with elementary OS. All I do on a computer is use the internet and make music (thinking about running Bitwig).

Is elementary a good place to start?
>>
>>54422167

>install openbox theme
>done
>>
>>54422237

No, it's not. Install normal Ubuntu or one of its flavors and get the Elementary Os GTK themes. The reasons why Elementary Os should be avoided have been posted countless times: it's an immature desktop environment on top of an Ubuntu LTS release.

But then again, you shouldn't listen to random post on here and make up your own mind by trying it.
>>
>>54422278
wasnt openbox supposed to be as rice-able as all those android launchers ?
>>
>>54422202
could you try to explain this further? or draw a graphic?
>>
>>54421730
Ok, replaced that shitty python script with a bash function now. Parsing shell syntax in shell, yay.
>>
>>54422299

What does riceable even mean?

>as all those android launchers
What?
>>
Is there a way to automatically open mpv with "always on top" and "always on visible workspace" by default in GNOME3?
>>
How do I change the colors on vim? I changed in my terminal but vim is showing all the text in white.
>>
Why does noone install gentoo?
I'm disappointed...
>>
>>54422648

There's a flag for always on top. How about you check your mpv config.
>>
>>54422661

Took me 4 seconds to search the internet on how to enable syntax highlighting in vim.
>>
>>54422802
also for always on visible workspace?
>>54422648
nvm, found an extension that does what i want but better:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1022/float-mpv/
>>
>>54422447
you know like android ricing you even have generals on /g/ dedicated to showing off their homescreens and all that stuff. I want to be able to configure it for neat looks
>>
>>54422831
you can do that with any DE. if you want similarity to that start with GNOME
>>
>>54422198
The shell features are different.
The first thing you will notice is the auto completion is a lot different.
There is small inconsistencies in the scripting but I don't have a list
>>
>>54422839
i would want to use WM instead of DM, im on openbox but as a newbie i cant find any customization options
>>
>>54422961
a DM (display manager) has nothing to do with your WM other than that you can set which WM or DE you want to start.
as a newbie you should really rather use a DE first but if you are this stubborn you could try to find the openbox settings. it's just one menu dude, it's not too hard.
>>
>>54422961

Guess what, a desktop environment has a window manager. So even if you use GNOME you're still using GNOME's window manager (which is called Mutter if I remember correctly).

>i cant find any customization options
There are themes and the obconf utility. Alternatively edit the rc.xml file manually.

It seems to me that you don't even know what you want to change, but instead you have this ridiculous concept of "ricing".
>>
>>54423021
>It seems to me that you don't even know what you want to change, but instead you have this ridiculous concept of "ricing"

i dont even know what can i change, maybe i should change my DE to like gnome or xfce
>>
>>54423109
you can install all of those and use gdm or lightdm to choose between them. this way you can test stuff out and see what you actually like.
>>
If moved the files from the hard drive I use for games and steam to cloud storage and formatted the drive from ntfs to ext4 and move them back to play on my Linux partition and made a wine prefix, would that work and could I still play them on windows?
>>
>>54423134
windows doesn't natively support ext4
>>
>>54421478
Can anybody with the AMD gpu run Steam?
>>
>>54423186
On 16.04*
>>
>>54423186
Yeah
>>
>>54423186
i can use steam on FOSS amd drivers on debian sid at least. i removed it though because it supports DRM.
>>
>>54423109

Install obconf, obmenu and obkey. Those allow you to change anything Openbox related.
>>
>>54423186
You can run steam with any GPU if you cant get it to start you are probably having this issue

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Deleting_the_runtime_libraries

Manjaro comes with a script that will do this

#!/bin/bash

zenity --question --title="Purge libraries" --text="Do you have an <b>OpenGL/render error</b> <i>preventing</i> Steam from starting?" --icon-name=steam 2>/dev/null
if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete
zenity --info --title="Purge libraries" --text="Potentially incompatible Steam libraries have been purged." --icon-name=steam 2>/dev/null
else
zenity --info --title="Purge libraries" --text="This likely isn't the solution. Check site/forums." --icon-name=steam 2>/dev/null
fi

Save that as something like steam-clean and make it executable with
chmod +x steam-clean
I don't think you have to run it as root because im pretty sure all of the stuff it removes should be in your home folder
>>
I have no /media folder, do i have to create it myself now or what?
>>
>>54423820

Why do you need that directory? I finally get to use this phrase: "I think this is a XY problem".
>>
>>54423839
to mount my external devices there?
at least thats what they taught me in school, did something change?
>>
When downloading videos, youtube-dl doesn't work for some sites (command line. Version: 2014.08.05). I'm using debian testing. However, I can download everything from the browser using an add-on.

Should I say fuck it and update youtube-dl? Will it fuck up something with my distro?
>>
>>54423877

You can mount it wherever you want and create directories that you want.
Depending on how you mount your devices, it might behave differently. For example if you use automatic mounting with udisks, it will mount things in /run/media/YOU
>>
Hello fellow ricers! Tell me please what file managers look similar to nautilus but are more lightweight?
>>
>>54423908
$ lsb_release -r
Release: testing
$ youtube-dl --version
$ apt-cache policy youtube-dl
youtube-dl:
Installed: 2016.02.22-1
Candidate: 2016.02.22-1
Version table:
*** 2016.02.22-1 900
900 http://http.debian.net/debian testing/main i386 Packages
900 http://http.debian.net/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

It should already be updated?
>>
>>54423968
explorer.exe
>>
https://solus-project.com/why-solus/

Sounds comfy
>>
>>54423968

Nautilus starts almost instantly thanks to the "daemon" feature, uses like 20MB of RAM and 0-1% CPU during idle. You couldn't tell that it was running if you weren't looking at htop constantly.
So, please stop misusing the term "lightweight". Unless with lightweight you mean less features, but it's hard to find a file-manager with less features than Nautilus.
>>
File: s68.png (12 KB, 432x438) Image search: [Google]
s68.png
12 KB, 432x438
>>54421478
I can't open Steam. It doesn't show any login information. How to fix this? I am running Xubuntu 14.04.3
>>
>>54424092
Don't open Steam, it's botnet!
>>
File: AMD_Logo.svg.png (4 KB, 320x76) Image search: [Google]
AMD_Logo.svg.png
4 KB, 320x76
I installed Ubuntu 16.04 in my netbook and appears I do not have graphics driver! There are many causes to this, but I need to know if I did something wrong, ok? So please, help me:
>NO GPU, NO CPU: APU!
>AMD E-240
>wrong screen resolution, adding one by means of Xrandr fucks everything if selected
>checked 'additional drivers', not even one listed there
>I chose 'no proprietary software' when installing
>Ubuntu 16.04 abandoned the first proprietary graphic drivers of AMD, chose new open-source ones still being developed and released
>don't know if AMD will release drivers for my model, that has at least 6 years
So, what do you think?
>>
>>54423968
use mc, its very 'lightweight'
>>
>>54424070
I mean, has less deps. A screenful of dependencies is a bit too much for a file manager, isn't it?
>>
>>54424603
It doesn't look anywhere like Nautilus though.
>>
where can I get a 32 bit binary of wget?

I installed arch and set up pacman (keys etc..), but it needs wget to get the files...
I can't build it from source there (no compiler, make)
I tried 'apt-get download wget:i386' on my other machine, but that gets me a deb package, not a binary
I couldn't find a binary on the internet
I don't know how to change the configuration file to make it build a 32 bit binary on my 64 bit computer (arch is on a 32 bit computer, debian on a 64)

what do?
>>
>>54424826
you can unpack the .deb file on you other machine with dpkg -x (or --extract)
>>
>>54423968
spacefm
>>
>>54424826

>no compiler, make
Install the base-devel group.

>it needs wget to get the file
What are yo utalking about?
>>
>>54423908
Why on earth are you using such an old version? It gets updated like every couple of days or weeks.
>>
>>54424936
thank you
>>
>>54424826
>arch is on a 32 bit computer, debian on a 64
https://packages.debian.org/sid/wget#pdownload
>>
>>54424826
>what do?
How about getting to the base of the problem? Why do you think you need wget and what files are you trying to get? There's a reason nobody else has this problem.
>>
>>54425112
when I run 'pacman -S' I get '/usr/bin/wget no such file or directory'
>>
>>54425186
post the full command you are trying to use, or is that it?
>>
>>54424826
how did you install arch without installing wget?
in any case, you can download the arch package from a mirror, either install it manually (pacman -U pkg) or place it in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and pacman will detect it as "already downloaded"

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/archlinux/extra/os/i686/wget-1.17.1-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz
>>
>>54425195
'pacman -Syu' or 'pacman -S pkgname'
both get the same error
>>
>>54423968
thunar, if you want cli - ranger
>>
>>54425238
Are you still in chroot or something? You've done something drastically wrong.
>>
>>54421745
visit nixers.net
>>
>>54425238
if this is a new install, you should start again, you fucked something up and it's probably easier to start over
>>
gnome/kde/xfce or something else for /g/ badboy
>>
>>54425402
Did you want to ask a question?
>>
>>54425402
CDE
D
E
>>
>>54425209
ok, this worked and now I can use pacman normally
>>
>>54425518
i recommend reinstalling base (pacman -S base)
>>
>>54424200
So does it work with the foss drivers + firmware-amd-graphics and amd64-microcode? Do you have problems with xrandr? I have difficulties understanding your problem.
>>
>>54423330
there's no obkey in my repo and AUR one is asking for GTK when it's already installed
>>
>>54425684

Works for me(tm) by using this one:
>https://github.com/stevenhoneyman/obkey
There's a PKGBUILD in the AUR:
>https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/obkey-git/

>one is asking for GTK when it's already installed
So what? Install it. It's asking for gtk2 most likely and I don't know how you don't have that one installed already.
>>
>>54424010
>>54424973
Hold on. I'm running Stable (Jessie). Whoa. I didn't switch when they did the freeze of Jessie back when it was Testing.

Call me names and shit, I deserve some nudging.
>>
I'm reading a lot about Fedora being the Linux version of Windows 10 in terms of calling home to the mothership, is this because it comes with selinux and no firewall by default or am I being ignorant?
>>
>>54426408
you're not ignorant for reading bs. Fedora has a firewall by default and neither it nor SELinux phone home by default.
The only questionable thing Fedora does is to sneakily install a browser extension in Chrome, Chromium or Firefox, which changes your user agent string to have "Fedora" in it, so they can more accurately measure usage numbers through, for example, wikipedia's statistics, because previously there was no way to tell apart Fedora users from users of other distros
>>
>>54426408
>is this because it comes with selinux and no firewall by default?
No
>>
>>54426444
I wouldn't call that sneaky, the packages are easy to read and you can change it after the fact so what is the big deal?
>>
>>54426444
there's nothing wrong with selinux
>>
>>54426490
I've been trying to find the discussion about it but couldn't. I believe it was on the Fedora/Red Hat bug tracker.
Anyway, the problem with that is obviously that your OS ideally shouldn't install software without telling you, especially if it makes you more identifiable on the internet.
There were some good pro- and contra points about it. In the end, a browser extension is easier to disable or uninstall than other methods.
Personally I use the extension, because user agent string identification is much less dangerous for online privacy than cookies and using the wrong services.
>>54426505
Exactly my point, though I can understand the argument "it's developed by the NSA and I don't want to use it because of that". I feel the same about Microsoft software.
>>
Is there a way to recover an NTFS partition without using chkdsk, or should I move on and make the Linux partition bigger?
>>
trying again to save munny:
i have a 10y old laptop which doesn't have a hdd, cdrd and bios doesn't have an option to boot from usb which i want to do. i have an external floppy drive so i followed some googled instructions, made a grub boot loader and the floppy works fine. the problem is that laptop still refuses to see the pendrive ("root" or "geometry" detect only the fd) and i'm pretty much stuck. do you have any ideas how to make it work?
(and no, i don't insist on using grub. anything that works will be fine)
>>
Why does everyone hate on elementary OS?
>>
>>54426961

>immature and unstable desktop environment
>bothering with "creating" and maintaining their own distribution instead of just working on their desktop environment
>their themes can be installed outside of it (not that they're worth it, apart from their icons which people forked to add new icons)

There's no point in using it.
>>
so there is contradicting instructions on this linux live program.
its just a program that functions without an os, from boot, on your usb/cd/dvd.
first, it tells me "if you're using linux live usb creator, follow this link and download ISO file"
with "iso" bolded
then when i actually get to the part where im supposed to download it, they say "download iso file if you're using cd/dvd. download zip file if you're using usb"
im using usb. so do i download the iso or the zip?
>>
Anyone know how to change the default japanese font in debian (xfce)?
>>
>>54427010
It's basically this:

1. You need an .iso file (an image of the distro).
2. You plase the contents of the file on the USB, CD, DVD, whereever. Take care that it's not the .iso file alone, but the content
3. Boot from the device.

These creating programs basically just do one job: Copy content of the iso. On GNU/Linux this task is pretty easy, it's just
dd if=foo.iso of=/bar
. No idea how to do this on windows or how your program works, but you need definly an .iso file. I've never seen a distro which distributes .zip images.
>>
What are some must have applications for arch?
>>
>>54427114
Simliar question here; I want to change the default monospace font on Ubuntu. Preferly via the commandline.
>>
>>54427169
on windows i use this program called "linux live usb creator" to create bootable device
and the instructions this piece of bootable software is giving me, are specifically for lili usb creator
fuck it im going to post in sqt thread in a bit. if no one knows there ill just do zip
>>
>>54427223
>>54427114

Fontconfigs.
>>
>>54427210

>what's something that i can install, force myself to use a few times and then never touch again

If it were a "must have", you'd already have it.
>>
>>54427288
is that a program?
>>
>>54427210
You're asking for hipster cancer?

Have a list:
kde, numix, zsh, oh-my-zsh sublime solarized, scrot, (is ther more?)
>>
File: hipster.webm (1 MB, 1108x892) Image search: [Google]
hipster.webm
1 MB, 1108x892
>>54427387
What makes kde hipster?
>>
>>54427336

No, fontconfig is a config file which defines various font options. Amongst them is the alias for "Monospace".
>>
>>54427431
>lightweight linux distribution
>installs the most bloated DE existing
>>
>>54427466

>is a file
Duh, I meant the config file is a file which utilizes various fontconfig stuff.
>>
>>54427472
The distro being lightweight doesn't force him to use only lightweight programs.
>>
>>54427536
Ever heard of "the arch way"?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Principles
>>
I'm half asleep and trying to use sed to replace this one line. Nothing I tried worked and I have no idea why.

style "notebook-bg"
{
#replace this line
bg[NORMAL] = shade (1.18, @bg_color)
#bg[NORMAL] = @base_color
bg[ACTIVE] = shade (1.0, @bg_color) # Inactive tabs
bg[PRELIGHT] = shade (1.18, @bg_color)
bg[SELECTED] = shade (1.18, @bg_color)
fg[ACTIVE] = mix (0.8, @fg_color, shade (0.97, @bg_color))
}

I tried this:
sed "s/bg[NORMAL]   = shade (1.18, @bg_color)/bg[NORMAL]   = @base_color/g" gtkrc"

Why isn't it working?
>>
>>54427551
The principle being simplicity doesn't force him to use only simple programs.
>>
>>54427472

>arch is lightweight

It's whatever you install, idiot. There's nothing which says you have to install a certain thing on it.

>>54427551

I don't see how that has anything to do with the ability to install KDE Plasma 2 on it.
>>
>>54422447
google is your friend, friend.
>>
>>54427611
No, google is the spying enemy.
>>
So I've got a pretty beefy laptop with suse on it. When I was on windows, I never lagged doing anything. Now, though, I lag when I have two firefox windows open and my computer with 3-5 tabs each and if I refresh a page, my entire system stutters.

My laptop also feels like it's about to burn a hole through my lap when I have anything open at all, even though on windows 7/8 it ran pretty cold even when I was playing games or compiling.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong here, or if there's a better option for a lenovo y510p? I thought linux was supposed to be more efficient than windows.
>>
>>54422772
I've been posting this all over the place, but I have gentoo installed, and it's useless because I can't even install git.

>one of git's dependencies requires perl 20
>another one of git's dependencies requires perl 22

>git requires both perl 20 and perl 22
>>
>>54423012
>window managers with menus

wew
>>
>>54427584
[] are special characters and need to be escaped

's/bg\[NORMAL\] = shade (1.18, @bg_color)/bg[NORMAL] = @base_color/'
>>
>>54425892
>so what install it
>i cant believe you dont have it installed already

>he clearly says he already has it installed

lrn2read
>>
>>54427690
's/bg\[NORMAL\]   = shade (1.18, @bg_color)/bg[NORMAL]   = @base_color/g'
>>
>>54427690

Thank you.
>>
>>54427551
That sounds a lot like hipster bullshit
>>
>>54427708

He didn't specify which GTK version. There are two versions of that package in the AUR. One uses gtk2 one gtk3.
>>
>>54427721
No problem, if you want to become a wizard, I highly recommend reading: http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/sed.html

One of the best reads about sed I've ever read.
>>
>>54427651
well obviously firefox is using too much cpu. Do you have similar problems with other browsers, and what's your ff configuration? Lots of addons? Do you have proprietary graphic drivers installed, or the free ones?
Give us something to work with here
>>
>>54427913
only ff addon is adblock plus, I installed the proprietary graphics drivers using the tutorial on opensuse.org

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

gives me

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] [10de:0fe4] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3800]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

I do have two 750m's in there

if there's any other information I can give you, let me know, I'm not entirely sure what information is relevant.
>>
>>54427913
>>54428003
>Do you have similar problems with other browsers

forgot to answer this, I haven't tried switching to chrome, but I have similar problems with just about every application, including nautilus and whatever gnome's default video program is. (namely switching folders in nautilus causes the default video program and everything else to stutter slightly)
>>
>>54428068
hmm I really can't see what the problem is with your system. Hopefully someone else can.
>>
I installed arch linux and I want to use emacs, but when I type "sudo apt-get install linux" it doesn't work??? I should have stuck with ubtunu
>>
File: L'Arachel.jpg (447 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
L'Arachel.jpg
447 KB, 1200x1200
I game on Dolphin from time to time, but I use Nvidia proprietary drivers. How is AMD's side on things with emulators, both open source and proprietary? Is AMDGPU any good right now? I remember Tonga beating Catalyst is some stuff which is pretty nice.
>>
is md5 enough for determining if files are duplicates or not?
Timed md5, sha1 and sha256 on my home directory and it was something like 5s, 7s, 21s.
If I take sums from directories with thousands of files the difference between sha1 and md5 will be noticeable.
>>
>>54428553
open source doesn't mean something isn't proprietary, say free software

>>54428602
md5 is enough
>>
why so much terminal emulators? what's the point?
>>
>>54428602
>>54428628
forgot to add: md5 is enough for simple file comparing, for security related things, use sha256
>>
>>54428641
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>54428602
natural collisions are extremely rare.

at 2^64 files, you'd expect about 50/50 odds that any two files have the same hash (that's about 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 files)

I wouldn't worry about it for checking for duplicate files.
>>
>>54428641
Different programs for different needs.
>>
>>54428713
I don't understand the difference. doesn't all the terminal emulators do the same?
>>
File: 1457258598156.jpg (135 KB, 1000x706) Image search: [Google]
1457258598156.jpg
135 KB, 1000x706
I asked about Morituri yesterday and ended up using abcde for ripping CDs. Now I have a different problem, the soundtrack has a DVD included that hosts audio tracks, images, and videos. What software would you recommend? Handbrake can pull out the videos, but what about the other stuff?
>>
>>54428742
Only basically. Let's say you want an emulater with a graphical user interface to change settings, you'd install xface-terminal or gnome-terminal. If you need a highly customizable emulator, which allows scripting, you'd install urxvt. Also the frontend frameworks differ, but there are many more differences.

For a list and short descriptions, go here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Terminal_emulators
>>
File: sadpanda.jpg (13 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
sadpanda.jpg
13 KB, 260x260
>>54428769
>mfw
$ dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -M
libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.BUP.
Cannot open Video Manager (VMG) info.
Mirror of DVD failed
Segmentation fault

O-ok.
>>
Can someone with gentoo experience please help me

whenever I try and emerge networkmanager it never works because it says the following USE changes are necessary to proceed
>>
>>54428769
>>54429404
Just use dd and create a .iso image.
Then extract it using 7z.
All files should be inside it.
>>
>>54429483
Make the use changes then.
If you don't show the actual errors we can only guess anyway.
>>
>>54429551
It's not really possible for me to post the emerge

But isn't there a way to write the USE changes automatically?
>>
>>54429626
Suit yourself.
Yes, it tells you in the output.
>>
>>54429638
Alright so to set the USE i have to edit /etc/portage/make.conf and then you enter each flag manually under

USE="

"
>>
>>54429673
No, that's not what the output tells you.
Read the wiki.
>>
>>54429701
It asks me if I would like to merge the printed packages and so I type: Yes

and now it is starting to build
>>
Getting this error on an xfs drive.All i get from googling is its a moot error and to ignore it. But during these errors,i get massive performance loss.Read/write speeds crawl down to 1Mb/s.There are no other errors being reported for the drive.How does this happen?
XFS: java(17595) possible memory allocation deadlock size 42528 in kmem_alloc (mode:0x2400240)
>>
>>54429767
Ok, completely ignore everything you've been told then and go in blindly relying on some magic, I'm sure that will work out for you.

You do not set USE flags for a individual packages in make.conf, those USE changes are global so you need to be very careful what you put in there.
>>
>>54429802
Well I don't know what to do. All I see is a huge list of packages with USE="blah blah blah"

I don't know what I'm supposed to make of that.
>>
>>54429826
I told you what to do, read the wiki, it explains how to set USE flags for individual packages. But again, the output tells you how you can do this automatically, it is right in front of you.
>>
Hello! I'm no complete beginner in Linux, I've been switching around Mint and Ubuntu for some months, and I'm installing Manjaro now. Doing a netinst, would like to know you guys opinions about DEs and WMs. I'm not familiar with ricing, I would like something pretty, lightweight and easy to set up and mantain. What do you guys recommend me? Also, can I have recommendations about good stuff to put in my fresh installation?
Many thanks in advance.
>>
>>54430001
Sorry for shitty english, not my main language, I mostly lurk here.
>>
>>54430001
>>54430023
Xfce is your best bet.
>>
>>54430001
>>54430023
Also Manjaro is shit. If you're going to use a Arch based distro just use the real thing.
>>
>>54430227
I've already used XFCE and MATE. Decided to use Cinnamon, if things go badly, I'll just install this shit again. I thought about going Debian, but my wireless adapter is shit and I don't want to spend three days trying to make it work with Debian.
Any good software recommendations? Stuff to do with my fresh install?
>>
is it possible to replace the gtk file chooser with something else

not the qt file chooser either, I mean I want to replace it with like, nautilus or pcmanfm or even ranger.
>>
>>54430389
no
>>
>>54430396
why
>>
>>54430425
Because they arent a toolkit,gtk is a toolkit,file manager are file managers,external of the toolkit
>>
Hello Linux friends. I am more or less getting familiar with Linux but I see that a lot of specific purpose stuff involves editing the source code of things and recompiling it. I have no idea what that implies.

So this time I want to do something simple. I use Fedora. I notice that update-mime-database is slow as fuck on my machine. I found this thread which advises to remove a word from its source code and recompile it:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1052173

Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to find its source code, in what software to edit it and how to recompile it?

Thanks.
>>
>>54430452
Download the source package where ever fedora keeps its repository.
Also upgrade
Fixed In Version: shared-mime-info-1.2-7.fc20
>>
>>54430443
what do you mean toolkit? as in, devs can use them if they want the user to be able to import a file?
so like, if there was a fm with uploading "support" you could conceivably modify firefox to use it instead?
>>
>>54430481
I have Fedora 23... Didn't it come with the code change to shared-mime-info made in 2014?
>>
>>54430523
It's open source anon, you can conceivably do anything you want.
>>
>>54430523
GTK uses the GTK toolkit that they developed.It uses the tools they build in to gtk.
QT uses the QT toolkit,which they developed.It uses the tools the build in to qt.
>>
>>54430589
Open source doesn't imply that he can do anything he wants. Open source can also be proprietary. When talking about free software, please call it free software.
>>
>>54430626
fuck off retard.
>>
>>54430634
welp, he's right
also:
>friendly thread
>>
>>54430673
No he is not right, he is being pedantic. If I can download the code then I am able to change it. Whether I am supposed to change it or not is another matter.
>4chan
I think you want the other place if you want a hug.
>>
>>54430696
Wait, wait... why would a company make the code available but forbid making changes to it?

Also not him, but I agree, you're kind of ruining that this thread means to accomplish by calling someone a retard.
>>
>>54430626
>>54430673
>Computer software, or simply software, is that part of a computer system that consists of encoded information or computer instruction

Please do not call it software.It is source code.Which by its self,is not a program.Source code by its self,does nothing,thus it is not software.
>>
>>54430721
>Wait, wait... why would a company make the code available but forbid making changes to it?
Seriously?
>>
>>54430724
Please don't call it code. Until it is getting processed by a compiler, it is merely a table of unicode characters encoded in binary onto a disk.
>>
>>54430750
Yes seriously.

Maybe you should fuck off this thread dude. You really don't belong here. Knowledge on technology isn't innate and the benefits of being able to ask dumb questions without getting shat on by pretentious sperglords are necessary for some people to learn.
>>
>>54430758
Please do not call it binary.Binary is a serires of assembly instructions.It is not code.
>>
Good read about the topic: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>>
>>54429516
Thanks anon. I love you.
>>
>>54430827
>gnu.org
Stopped reading
>>
>>54430782
Read something about licences.
>>
>>54430798
I meant binary as in the encoding of the information, not the computer language. Everything on your storage device is binary.
>>
>>54430843
Deriously. If you have a problem with GNU or free software in general, uninstall your OS and leave.
>>
>>54430895
I'm not even running your shitty OS
fuck off retard
>>
>>54427681
openbox has one.
>>
File: 1456263495096.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1456263495096.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>54430895
Hold on to your seat.
I dont use the gnu userland,i use the busybox userland,which dosent use libc.

>YOUR VERSION OF FREEDOM DIFFERS FROM MINE
>STOP USING ANYTHING RELATED TO COMPUTERS
>STOP DOING THINGS THAT BREAK MY MENTAL STATRE OF MIND
pic related
>>
File: 1431805184925.jpg (302 KB, 500x405) Image search: [Google]
1431805184925.jpg
302 KB, 500x405
>>
>>54430855
Not exactly: everything on my storage device is represented by groups of molecules with either differently organized magnetic vectors or otherwise differing physical properties. This is as far from binary as possible.
>>
>>54430942
I'm just wondering, why do you keep following this thread and insult people? This thread is supposed to help each other incl newbs.
>>
>>54430970
Dammit. You fucking nerd. I'll get you for this.
>>
File: GNOME3.png (432 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
GNOME3.png
432 KB, 480x720
>>54430944
This comic could be about GNOME and make perfect sense.
>>
>>54430977
I've helpd a lot of people. Just because i dont use retarded userlands,by lazy delusional arrogant neckbeards,dosent mean i dont use linux and excluding the userland,i use the same shit and have the same problems as anyone would that uses linux

If you bothered to read,the orginal post pertaining to this quote chain,is someone referencing stallmans broken ideals about not getting any credit.
No newbs would be bothered by this,as its comical at most,seeing these neckbeards pretending its some religion,and praising every word he manages to get out of his gullet.
>>
>>54430942
>i use the busybox
found the "No Richard" meme cancer
>>
File: 1456975301917.png (150 KB, 427x700) Image search: [Google]
1456975301917.png
150 KB, 427x700
>>54431043
>m alloc
>busybox
>qlibc
>bsd
>heriloom

More then just a meme faggot
>>
>>54430977
we did it, reddit@!
>>
>>54431087
ALLO YOBA ETO TI???
>>
>>54431124
Å¡ta
>>
>>54431039
Just get a mac and fuck off.
>>
File: consumers.png (9 KB, 840x171) Image search: [Google]
consumers.png
9 KB, 840x171
>>54431131

Ti si gujca.
>>
File: 1462037254841.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1462037254841.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>54431156
Mac is more limited then stallmans dream world
>>
>>54431170
fix your font rendering, jesus christ
>>54431179
dumb weeaboo
>>
File: 1459375127316.jpg (124 KB, 728x675) Image search: [Google]
1459375127316.jpg
124 KB, 728x675
>>54431211
>>
File: sisyphos.jpg (36 KB, 383x380) Image search: [Google]
sisyphos.jpg
36 KB, 383x380
>>54430634
>>54430782
>>54430912
>>54431039
Roughly 100 more posts in this thread and someone will start a new one. It will be called /fglt/, unless by some chance someone starts a /flt/ thread, which will lead to some more shouting matches but ultimately /fglt/ will prevail when /flt/ reaches 300 as well.

In about 100 posts your insults will be in the archive and new posters coming to this thread with their problems won't see them anymore.

By that time, you might still be up and spam your empty hate, or maybe you have somewhere else to be. Maybe you'll return and try again, and who knows, maybe you'll be quite persistent.

But in the end, you need to eat, sleep and possibly work as well, and while you're gone we'll still be here, calling it GNU/Linux, telling people to call it free software and educating everyone who needs to know that Stallman and the free software movement are right.

How does it feel to know that all your terrible insulting and hating will eventually be all in vain?
>>
File: 1450169002557.jpg (40 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
1450169002557.jpg
40 KB, 600x440
>>54431319
+1
>>
>>54431319
How does it feel to be so desperate to enforce your ideals on people? Your attempt is in vain because no one in real life will go around saying they use ganoo linux, even if they agree with the sentiment, because it makes sound sound a fucking retard. Have fun trying to push it though.
>>
>>54431225
transform into a sex slave you slut
>>
>>54431211
Why don't you eat an anti-aliased dick, fag.
>>
>>54431476
>>
>>54431436
How does it feel to know that there are many GNU systems not running Linux? Will you still call these Linux? Take your busybox back where it belongs to: embedded systems such as smart TVs and dish washers.
>>
>>54431518
is that your final transformation
>>
File: 1460244156076.png (523 KB, 1165x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460244156076.png
523 KB, 1165x1080
>>54431629
>>
What the fuck is systemd? Everytime someone mentions it on this board I see heated arguments flying all over this place.
>>
What's the best approach to code and compile C programs with vim? Do I compile it through vim or a new terminal?
>>
>>54431588
> many
Name at least one.
>>
>>54431696
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd#GNU_Hurd-Distributionen
here are 3
>>
>>54431588
No you can call them what you like mate. There are many systems using linux with and without gnu, I will call them linux.
>>
>>54431696
Arch Hurd
Debian GNU/Hurd
Debian GNU/kfreeBSD
Parabola GNU/kNuBSD-fire
>>
>>54431664
it's an init system that loads your system at boot. It's actually quite easy to understand and use.
I've never used a distro without it, or at least I hadn't learned enough to know about init back then, so I can't tell if it's technologically better or worse than what was before. I know that most of the controversy around it was about the attitude of it's developers, especially one Lennart Poettering.
>>
>>54431762
People will keep calling it linux and there is nothing wrong with that
>>
>>54431319
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as kFreeBSD or even GNU/Mach, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.
>>
>>54431664
>>54431772
forgot to mention, systemd is/was also critisized for being too complex and having feature creep. From time to time you'll come across a joke somewhere that systemd should have feature X or that "you can do that with systemd", similar to the jokes about emacs (that it can do literally everything)
>>
File: systemd.gif (4 MB, 426x284) Image search: [Google]
systemd.gif
4 MB, 426x284
>>54431664
It is a virus slowly eating every process that it can find.

It is also run by the most ignorant faggot ever:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
>lets brick your motherboard,but because a handfull of programs use it ever,lets just keep a blaring hole open
>>
>>54431968
>but it MSI fault!!111
This is why you fucking GNUtards will never have anything but a hobby OS. No one wants to spend 50 fucking hours trying to find out if their fucking operating system can brick their device.
>>
>>54431772

It's not an init system. It's a set of tools for managing your operating system. The init system is just a part of it.
>>
>>54431968

Stop buying motherboards which don't implement the EFI spec properly. Everything is explained in there, but for some reason you either didn't read that or are too stubborn to realize why it works the way it does.
>>
>>54432061
>It's a set of tools for managing your operating system
So it's basically the operating system?
>>
>>54431968
systemd really ate cron, syslog and mount?
non-systemd fag here
>>
>>54424034
it is
could use some more packages though
>>
>>54432090
SystemD/Linux
>>
>>54432137
Ahem.

You mean GNOME/X11/GNU/SystemD/BSD/Linux?
>>
>>54432173
Wouldn't it be BSD or Linux? Not both?
>>
>>54432344
Uhm... well, wasn't Linux based on UNIX originally? Does it not have code that's forked from UNIX? Or is it just compatible with the way UNIX works?
>>
>>54432365
it's not based on unix, just unixlike
>>
>>54432394
Are there any software/tools that are consistently common betwen UNIX and Linux? Like, software and tools that they both fork from the same source?
>>
>>54432467
unix is pretty much dead, but its philosophy lives on in linux, bsd, and yes, even mac
>>
>>54432117

Are you stupid? You can still use those things. It's not like systemd removed all sources for that software from the face of the earth.
What does "ate" even mean? Do you intentionally choose aggressive words to describe things you're not fully aware of? You're the human version of a clickbait article.
>>
>>54432365
>>54432394
You are talking about GNU. GNU is unix-like, Linux is just a kernel.
>>
File: Selection_001.png (80 KB, 793x486) Image search: [Google]
Selection_001.png
80 KB, 793x486
Hey guys. I have a problem that I cannot figure out.

I just installed ubuntu 16.04 and when it boots my mouse and keyboard do not work. No lights or anything. This problem didn't happen in the live disk or my windows partition.

In order to get past the login screen I have to unplug and plug them back in several times and eventually they start working.

Anybody know of what it might be?
>>
>>54432484
Really? They don't develop UNIX at all anymore? Is it still being installed on machines for any purpose?

Sorry those are very large questions.
>>
>>54432529
kek
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.