[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid questions general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
Stupid questions general
>>
Would anyone be willing to do as a code with my projects, while I'd generally be, too?
>>
File: 1462425648001.jpg (183 KB, 1440x1044) Image search: [Google]
1462425648001.jpg
183 KB, 1440x1044
>>54412936
What
>>
When i buy components for my pc? Do they include all cables i need or do i need to buy seperate cables?
>>
>>54412961
LAMOOOOWWWWW
>>
I am really proud of you for fucking this up so badly.
>>
>>54412898
op, if you can edit it, put sqt in the subject, as it's not showing up in the catalog when sqt is searched
>>
>>54412898
I was offered an interview for a position via LinkedIn. In the offer I was praised for experience I don't have and offered a salary I sure as hell don't deserve. Has anyone had this happen to them?
>>
>>54412972
They include all the cables you'd need.
>>54412936
Yes but the real question is has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
>>
File: 1439105309060s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1439105309060s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>54413014
did u get the job? Lucky bitch, what did u have on ur resume?
>>
>>54413036
No, I was just messaged. My profile doesn't have anything regarding Java or the Spring framework on it and he is "impressed" that I have experience in these things. I don't know whether it's a bot or a message sent to the wrong person. The guy's information is real, though. I didn't know if this was a common occurrence.
>>
>>54413014
I can only see two things, either they sent the email to the wrong guy or you're being scammed
>>
>>54413073
It's not uncommon to get offers for interviews on LinkedIn but your case does sound fishy alright. If you think you can get away with it, go for the interview. If it smells fishy, dump it.
>>
>>54413081
>>54413118
would you recommend messaging back and saying that I think that it was a mistake?
>>
File: corsair case problem.jpg (478 KB, 2530x712) Image search: [Google]
corsair case problem.jpg
478 KB, 2530x712
My new pc case (Corsair 200) has this weird stand off in the very middle which is capped and unscrew-able. Also, as far as I can tell, it is also stuck in the case permanently, it is very hard to screw. I havent tried unscrewing it with pliers because I dont want to damage the case.

Will this stand-off damage my motherboard? Google pulls up that it is ok but I am still skeptical.
>>
>>54413019
Then why is this website im buying components from trying to sell me some kind of cable to go with my SSD as a combo deal? Are they just trying to jew me?
>>
>>54413131
If I were you I'd play along. Drop it the moment money is involved, especially if it's a cheque.
>>
>>54413153
Possibly. If you're in doubt you could just go look at any one of the millions of unboxing videos on youtube. That'll tell you instantly what's included in the box.
>>
>>54413153
You can often by storage drives with or without cables. If you can't find any info on the product page then call or email them and ask. Or if you find the same item twice, one for 5 bucks less, you know which one is the bare drive.
>>
>>54413144
That pin is used to keep your motherboard in place (I have the same case). You have to push pretty hard against your mobo in the direction of the IO ports (don't push too hard). This was also a tricky one for me.
>>
Say I had a way of downloading music from a streaming service (for the sake of this question, let's assume Spotify). The downloading of this music would, I guess, be technically illegal, but who the fuck cares.
Say I could acquire the music at a quality that satisfies me (for burgers, you can imagine something like 320kbps FLAC or whatever)
I would also get all the metadata associated with the music, including album art, artist name, title, etc.. Everything.

AND, the downloads would actually be downloads, instead of the widely known soundcard recording, or spotify->youtube->download stuff, meaning that they would be relatively quick.

So basically free, high quality music, locally and semi-painlessly.

Would there be any reason to do this, if I already have a "hack" of sorts to stream from the streaming service in high quality, on mobile/desktop, for free?
I don't have any restrictions to my internet, regarding speed or bandwidth, so that's not relevant.

Basically the only thing that would change is that the music would be local instead of streamed, and that I wouldn't be using the mobile/desktop app too often.
Sadly, I'm pretty much a pleb when it comes to music and really enjoy the streaming service's suggestions for me, and I rely on it for finding new music.

Pros/cons?
>>
>>54413165
thanks boo
>>
Why do bait threads get more replies than legitimate threads?
>>
>>54413222
because at last check there wasn't a legit sqt up and I can't be assed to make on instead of replying here
>>
>>54413196
Wow, thats strange. As long as it doesnt damage anything I guess....
>>
>>54413153
My day job basically consists entirely of replacing old hard drives with SSDs. There are no cables in the boxes the SSDs come in, but the only cables you need will have come with the motherboard. It sounds like le Ishmael Goldstein man is asking for more shekels, but I guess there are situations where you might actually need the cable.
>>
>>54413201
If you have the music saved on your computer, then you can still listen to it if your Internet goes down for any reason.

Otherwise, just stream it unless you actually want the files for something.
>>
>>54413222
Because most anons like to think they're above average intelligence and absolutely love any opportunity to show it.
>>
I'm having trouble with removing metadata on my Windows 7. I click Properties > Remove data > etc etc, but then when I click OK, the data remains untouched. I tried going for the first option (create a copy with deleted metadata) but the metadata remains on that copy aswell.

What gives?
>>
I just learned that desktop threads are banned from /g/. My question is, why did it take so long?
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wy4Cpg

Did i make any mistakes?
>>
>>54413739
Wait, for real?
>>
How do I learn everything there is to know about artificial intelligence? From technical details to big-picture industry implications? Any resources, literature, anything to point me in the right direction would be great
>>
>>54413766
http://www.ai-junkie.com/ga/intro/gat1.html

That should be a good start. Genetic algorithms are pretty basic and easy to implement. You might want to look into neural networks next. There's plenty of material online too.
>>
>>54413752
I know right? The people that are supposed to be managing this website actually doing their job for once. But then what else would you expect for zero compensation.
>>
>>54413858
Wow, I have to say I'm impressed. This is the most administrative progress /g/ has made ever.
>>
>>54413856
When was the last time this site has been updated?
>>
>>54413923
It looks like late 90s web "design", but if you can overlook that it's actually a very good start into AI programming for beginners.
>>
File: image.png (594 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
594 KB, 1242x2208
My Verizon phone network is dropping from LTE to 3G and the Connection is barely there. I wouldn't mind if it was slow, but it is taking minutes before a page even loads. I try to go into airplane mode and come back and the LTE is back for only five minutes.

Anyone know that this could be? It never happened before and it happens in more than one location.
>>
>>54413950

Even if I am a literal 100% beginner who never did any programming/computer science before? I'm a fast learner and I bust my ass in everything, just looking to bust my ass in something exciting
>>
>>54412898
>tumnblurlr
kys
>>
>>54413980
No. You need to learn a language first. Any language will do as long as you are comfortable with it. In my opinion, Ruby is pretty easy to pickup and you might find it easier to jump into your first AI project with it as opposed to starting with Python or C.
>>
Will your generic micro atx board fit both a video card and a wifi dongle? Let's say for example this one, which has two small pci e slots.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h110ma

I understand that video cards can sometimes cover up other slots. But ive never built a pc before so I have no clue how these things measure in real life.
>>
File: 20160505_085727.jpg (137 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
20160505_085727.jpg
137 KB, 600x750
Best distro for gaming?
>>
>>54413744
r390 is just $100 more. Looks fine besides that.
>>
>>54414086
Ubuntu imo. I couldn't manage to get Steam installed in Arch and I haven't tried it on any other distro. Not to mention that the only package that Steam officially supports and distributes is a Debian package so it just makes sense to use a Debian-based operating system rather than jump through all sorts of hoops to get it working in a different package manager.
>>
>>54414086
Fedora worked well for me with Steam related
especially well outofthebox with my skylake z170x
>>
>>54412898
can RAM get tired and die from using hibernate instead of shut down?
>>
Why is= it,, I can't figure out how to avoid?
>>
I'm lonely, how do I meet introvert girls?
>>
>>54414158
I think you're having a stroke, anon.
>>
>>54414171
>>>/adv/
>>
Friends /g/ I need help. Why is the R9 Nano cheaper than the R9 Fury when it has better floating-point performance, more shading units, more texture mapping units, more compute units, better cloud gate factor score, slightly better sky diver factor score, and lower TDP?
>>
>>54414175
No I,,=have with keyboard?
>>
>>54414119
OK, follow up question. How do I get my Xbox controller to work on it? Nothing I try works
>>
>>54414200
No idea. My Afterglow controllers work out of the box.
>>
>>54414191
If you try to overclock the nano it will catch fire and burn your house to the ground.
If you overclock the fury you get a fury x.
If you keep using gpuboss I will burn your house to the ground.
>>
>>54414200
Which generation of Xbox controller? I don't think Linux has an Xbox One controller driver yet. My 360 controller works like a charm.
>>
>>54414280
360 as well. I also managed to get my N64 usb adapter working as well, but I think it just uses a generic joystick driver. I suggest googling and seeing if anyone else has had issues with using Xbone controllers on Ubuntu specifically.
>>
>>54414133
No. Hibernate is the same of turning off your laptop, except the contents of your RAM is copied to disk first so that it can resume when you turn it back on.
>>
>>54414318
>>54414280

When ever I try to xboxdrv --silent I get "LIBUSB_ERROR_ACCESS"
>>
>>54414370
I know this isn't generally recommended but have you tried running the same command with sudo?
>>
>>54414370
>LIBUSB_ERROR_ACCESS
I think there is a group you can add your account to in order to give yourself the necessary permissions. Can't remember it offhand thought
>>
>>54414385
Dude. DUDE. send me your address. I will ducking blow you. Thank you do much.
>>
>>54414442
Well I mean, if you're into that, sure.
>>
just built a new PC, had old one that had win 7 with daz loader that upgraded to win 10 and activated

new pc basically only reusing PSU, read online that i should have been fine with activation but spoke with microsoft and they said i would either have to use the win 7 key or buy win 10. anything like daz out now or should i just buy win 10 pro? only 200
>>
I had the option to format my SD card as "internal" on my Xperia Tablet Z2 when I got it, but postponed the choice until later. Now it's set to "portable" with no choice to adopt as internal storage, what's up with that?
>>
what's the best NES emulator?
>>
Anyone else got some 3 minute arabic youtube ad with something allah related shit? This is why I use ublock when possible
>>
>>54414942
>asking /g/ about ads
Are you a stupid or some thing?
>>
I'm rebuilding my computer because my motherboard is trash in every way and I don't want to buy a used Z77 board. It's gonna be a virtualization / gaming / heavy multi-tasking & editing computer with a new i7-4790k.

Apparently ASRock Extreme series supports VT-d the most, and I prefer buying from MicroCenter since it's only a 10 minute drive away from me. They don't sell the Extreme6 right now because "we only really stock these once a month since we're starting to phase it out for skylake" so it looks like my options are either go with Extreme4, buy the 6 from Newegg, or find a new board. The looks like the Extreme 4 is getting bad reviews

Before I pull the trigger this weekend, does anyone know a good VT-d H/Q/Z97 board? I don't plan on overclocking a 4790k since it's at a pretty optima clock speed right now, non-k variant would want me to overclock it.

>tl;dr I need a VT-d supported Devil's Canyon Motherboard, any suggestions?
>>
>>54414964
This is a stupid questions thread
>>
>>54414785
did you seriously ask microsoft if you could uprgade a pirated windows for free, and expect them to tell you anything other than to buy it?
>>
>>54415029
i already had win 10 pro activated for free on the old computer, i didn't mention that i had pirated it im not a dumdum
>>
>>54414899
FCEUX. It's really the only one I can think of that's mainstream. I know there's Nesticle and some other one, but FCEUX is the one I use.
>>
>>54414964
Half the people here are still on adblock plus, somehow the illiterate people always end up here only to make fun of how stupid reddit is
>>
>>54415179
>implying adblockplus, an official addon is somehow inferior to some random unsigned addon that has to be hosted on github because it can't pass the mozilla screening process
>>
File: Untitled.png (11 KB, 614x434) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11 KB, 614x434
I'm looking to upgrade my storage for my animoos, mangos, and musak, but I'm on a bit of a limited budget, so I was wondering if I could simply buy a single larger drive to reconfigure my system as pic related. It adds a few GB and lets me increase overall redundancy as a bonus (640GB partition is mirrored now).

Now, obviously, it CAN be done, but is it reasonable to use a single drive as redundancy for 2 other drives or is it maybe smarter to bite the money bullet and buy 2 drives? Am I maybe creating some failure choke point in this set up or something I'm not seeing?

Also, the 640GB RAID1 partition serves as my work space, basically any heavily read/written data generally goes there, so I thought a RAID1 might serve me better there than a simple backup. Again, that sane or am I off base?
>>
What's the best way to find a good ISP if you live in the middle of Cuckfucks, Nowhere (US)?
>>
>>54415225
Mozilla is another thing of the pasf
>>
>>54415225
ublock origin can be found in the mozilla plugin list...
>>
File: Jeepers-Creepers.jpg (20 KB, 671x395) Image search: [Google]
Jeepers-Creepers.jpg
20 KB, 671x395
My GPU is peaking at 80c (170f~) and it makes my computer restart. How can I stop it from over heating so god damn much?

Afterburner reports that my card doesn't even try to make my fans go max speed and lets my fans stay at 60%
>>
>>54412898
i need a new music player for windows.. something minimalist preferably and all i want to do is shuffle my whole library, have crossfading, and be able to search my library,

i despise itunes, foobar never saves my settings or library, and winamp, while near perfect for what i need, always gets "an error reading the local database" causing me to have to rebuild my library.. any recommendations would be appreciated
>>
Does Windows 10 Storage Spaces RAID 1 work with VeraCrypt?

If Storage Spaces suck dick, what other way is there in Windows 10 to mirror 2 hard drives?
>>
What's a good VPN for <$50/yr that will let me shitpost on 4chan with at least 8 other country's flags and won't sell my info to interpol when they get a dmca?
>>
I have an old g46vw and either the HDD is going or it has a virus that 4 different anti-virus/rootkit apps couldn't find.
Do I need to be worried about virus being in BIOS?
Can I just replace the current HDD with a 2.5" SSD?
If I plug in a memory stick or external disk, can that get infected too?
>>
Hey guys, if I'm coding on Windows and don't care about portability (just messing with console IO to refamiliarize myself with C) is there any benefit to using putchar() over putch()?
>>
>>54415696
Which card?
>>
>>54415895
gtx 760 twin frozr 4gb
>>
>>54414086
Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, this is one of the few on which AMD and Nvidia drivers are actually supported, AMDs won't work without a hassle on most other distros because it depends on a really outdated version of Xorg and doesn't support the newer ones.
>>
File: 1433995356855.gif (613 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1433995356855.gif
613 KB, 500x374
I was recovering some files and I noticed that there's regularly screenshot images of what I'm browsing showing up in the deleted images section.

What exactly keeps taking screenshots of what I'm doing online? Malwarebytes hasn't picked up anything.
>>
>>54415696
Adjust your fan curve using said afterburner, just be sure to set it on 100% at 75c so it never overheats unless it's already broken.
>>
is the only way to print all the elements of an array to make a loop?
I can't go
printf("%d...%d",arr[0..n])
or some shit like that, if it makes sense?

I already accomplished what I wanted with a loop, just curious.
>>
Is Astromenda a virus? I just downloaded firefox from their website and the main search engine is Astromenda. I've read somewhere that Astromenda is a virus.
>>
Could I use a magic eraser to clean a soldering tip, in lieu of a basic sponge?
>>
>>54414115
Does that mean i also have to get another (750 or 850W) PSU? 390 pulls quite alot.
>>
>>54412898
Any decent video player for windows?
>>
So I repaired an old laptop for my personal use

the thing is this laptop is running an intel celeron 900.. wil it run windows x64?
>>
File: net.png (78 KB, 576x882) Image search: [Google]
net.png
78 KB, 576x882
can anyone tell me why I have to reset my router every 2 hours or so? I randomly lose connection for no apparent reason.

For the past couple of weeks I've been getting DNS errors that would go away after 5 min or so, but now I'm just losing connection completely.

Here's my routers event log, if that will help.
>>
>>54416232
No
>>54416362
MPC-HC
>>54416533
Yes
>>
Okay, is something going on with un-updated Windows 7 users? I think Microsoft is actively doing something to Windows Update on Windows 7 to slow computers down.
I had an issue with my desktop where shortly after startup, my RAM usage would mysteriously jump to above 50%.
Upon further investigating, I found the culprit to be svchost.exe with multiple services running, including a winupdate service. Disabling that, the svchost shrunk to about 20 MB (normal).
A day or two later, an older toshiba laptop which I keep running on the side while I play video games was acting slow. I decided to check anyway to see if it was the same thing.
Sure enough, fukken svchost using 1.5 GB for no fucking reason.
Found the winupdate service, turned it off, and svchost shrunk, and laptop was running faster.
A friend's desktop was running mysteriously slow (firefox hanging for moments at a time and then coming to its senses).
Found svchost at 1.5+ GB, turned off the winupdate service, and it was normal again.
Seriously, SOMETHING IS GOING ON.
I don't fucking remember svchost using up this much RAM.
This goes for anyone running windows 7 and hasn't updated in a while for fear of Windows 10 retroactive botnet update bullshit.
>>
File: 22.jpg (106 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
106 KB, 408x408
anyone know some good tech podcasts to listen to at work today?
>>
>>54416763
This is why you guys should believe /g/ when they tell you that something is a botnet.
>>
>>54416210
You're looking for an array map or something similar
>>
>>54416800
It's definitely not an issue that's been around forever. This is something that's affected THREE different computers in the past few weeks. All of which haven't been updated in about a year or more.
>>
>>54416211
pls help.
>>
>>54416974
B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T
>>
>>54412898
Call me the dumbest stupidest autistic down syndrome faggot in all of /g/ but i 'accidentally' butchered me shellstyle.dll and now explorer is completely UN-usable. I can't replace it with any software because it's 'in use' and can't replace it manually obv because explorer is broken. Same with turning on windows updates, uses explorer. No luck. I really can't do a system restore. Too much shit on here i need and can't move anything because again... explorer is fucked.
>>
>>54416763
It may be an intentional effort to fuck your speed, or it may be sheer incompetence. This is Microsoft we're talking about after all.

I remember I had it running like that, constantly redownloading Windows 10 in the background so I tried to upgrade (which I wanted to do anyway) and the downloaded copy turned out to be fucked, which was behind the constant activity. I don't think that providing me with an unusable installer was a clever ploy by Microsoft to get me to install Windows 10.
>>
>>54414785
The Daz team created what is essentially a Windows 10 version of it called KMSpico, make sure you get it from their official thread on MyDigitialLife though, all the top Google results are malware.
>>
>>54417011
But is there an article or something that explains that this is going on? Something that can prove that Microsoft must have pressed a button to cause Windows Update to shit itself all over the world or something?
I don't want to think that it's an isolated incident with three of my computers.
>>
>>54417131
Boot from linux live you ricer fgt.
>>
>>54416098
Can you manually control the fans?
>>
>>54416211
Firefox's default search engine is Yahoo
>>
>>54417716
This. Burn TinyCore onto a CD and go from there. Super quick.
>>
I just started reading about crypto and the first lesson was about share key establishment.

They say it's secure after the key is established, sure.

But, Couldn't someone monitor before that and get the key? What's stopping them from doing that?
>>
>>54418124
Who the fuck uses cds
>>
>>54418165
>stoping them
You properly manage your key
>>
File: 1274906983041.jpg (2 KB, 156x128) Image search: [Google]
1274906983041.jpg
2 KB, 156x128
>>54418253
What. How does that help at all?

They have to establish the key, if you see that being done, how is it secure?
>>
How slim is the chance for a non-touchwizz based ROM on the S7?
Will Samsung forever lock us out?
>>
File: 1.png (688 KB, 977x728) Image search: [Google]
1.png
688 KB, 977x728
can i add this button ubuntu mate?
>>
>>54418345
Here's how it's done today, in short words.

>You have a private key and public key
>Your public key can encrypt things
>Only your private key can decrypt

When you go to communicate to a server, you encrypt your information with a their public key. Their public key is singed by a trusted 3rd party, like VeriSign. This assures they are who they say they are. If you encrypt your communications with their public key, no one can read what you've sent.

Since this kind of exchange is usually kind of slow, it's used to agree on a key to be used with symmetric encryption.
>>
File: a doge.jpg (31 KB, 391x321) Image search: [Google]
a doge.jpg
31 KB, 391x321
>>54418524
Thanks anon, that makes sense.
I had a different idea of how the key worked.
Back to learning this shit. <3
>>
is tor still a thing

how do i find stuff to buy on there

im scared
>>
So Mini ITX is a ripoff, right?

A decent mini ITX motherboard costs at least $120, and I can get an equivalent micro ATX motherboard for nearly half that price.
>>
File: wp_ss_20160507_0001.png (668 KB, 960x1600) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160507_0001.png
668 KB, 960x1600
what should i add on my menu?
>>
>>54419128
english
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TCYryc

How's this for my first solo PC build?
I'd like to keep it under $600
>>
So in my drives list i have one called "dvd drive (G:)" yet I dont actually have a dvd drive, i only have a Blu ray drive that does show up as a different drive. What could be causing this to appear? VM maybe? Its closed currently and ive already restarted
>>
Might get shit on, but when does the Marshmallow update roll out for AT&T Galaxy S5? Is there an official source for the releases?
>>
>>54413201
>something like 320kbps FLAC or whatever

Boy am I glad this is in the stupid questions thread.
>>
>>54413201
>a quality that satisfies me (for burgers, you can imagine something like 320kbps FLAC

the con is this quality is shit.

what.cd or bust
>>
Is it possible for a browser to "clog" my craptop connection? I can ping Google all day but as soon as Firefox makes a page request the pinging hangs. Restarting the network manager or craptop reestablishes connection and firewall is off.
>>
I'm reading up on some security patch for Windows. Is a "local attacker" pretty much what it sounds like? They'd need physical access to exploit the vulnerability?
>>
File: willthiswork.jpg (177 KB, 785x981) Image search: [Google]
willthiswork.jpg
177 KB, 785x981
Does it look alright? Any suggestions or recommendations?

I have no idea if this is the place to ask.
>>
File: 1398359904522.png (54 KB, 235x265) Image search: [Google]
1398359904522.png
54 KB, 235x265
>>54418889
If you don't need the size then don't get it. Simple economics dictates that a niche product will be higher in price than an average one.
>>
>>54416153
Operating system?
>>
>>54420447
get a hard drive and why not get a gpu?
>>
How do i hide the border of programs in windows? Ive made it smaller but that 2 or so pixels is quite annoying
>>
>>54420473
I'm going to wait a little before getting the gpu.
I didn't add it, but the hdd will be a 1tb western digital for $88.
>>
>>54420512
why wait? You'll be left with a useless computer and dissapointement that you waited for the next nvidia or amd gpu.
>>
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask but no other place has been able to figure out the issue. I use my computer for pretty mild gaming. I play LOL, dota, starcraft, ect. Before I could run those games on medium settings and be totally fine, no lag or anything. However now none of those games can run at singing higher than 7 fps. They worked after I "upgraded" (I liked my windows 7 better, but I'm pretty shit with tech so I thought 10 was better) and have only recently started to not work.

Essentially I'll boot up the game, it'll run smooth and fine for maybe 8-12 seconds and then plummet to 3-4 fps. Even with the graphics on the lowest possible. I'm really not sure what to do, I can post my specs if that's necessary.
>>
>>54413967
Are other people experiencing the same problem in your area? Has it been going on for a while?

It's entirely possible they're doing maintenance. Remember that Verizon doesn't actually connect you to the nearest tower, they connect you to the one with the fewest people connected to it, even if that means doubling the distance from you to a tower. That could explain the flitting between LTE and 3G.
>>
>>54420553
gpu or cpu fan

check it
>>
>>54416576
check your modem, it may be getting a bad signal
or maybe your router's dns settings are fucked
>>
>>54420707
How do I do that? Remove the side panel and run the machine, basically just do a visual test?
>>
>>54420762
this really is a stupid question...

Did you buy a pre built and arent sure what to check?

Check the fans are connected and the thermal paste is there. Its also possible to be a power issue, specifically to the gpu.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z2cGmG

my current set-up

I got the gou recently and I think its causing issues. Despite what the wattage says, do I need a new PSU? The whole system will suddenly power off like I flipped the switch while watching videos/streams and whatnot.

im not overheating. Temps dont go above 53c before everything shuts off. Google seems to think its a PSU issue.

My CPU fan has also started rattling. Honestly I have no idea what's going on, please send help
>>
>>54420799
I did buy this pre-built, at least 6 years ago if I'm not mistaken. I've wanted to learn, and eventually build my own computer, but I really need someone to walk me through the machine, YouTube videos and the like don't really do it for me. I understand I'm probably a low functioning retard to you but I wouldn't be sure what I'm looking at regardless. I would imagine the fans are connected as I can hear them running, although a power issue or thermal paste I would not be sure how to check.
>>
>made a virtualenv but because its located in a folder with a space in the name pip is not working

What the hell do I do now, I don't remember having this problem the last time I was working with flask?
>>
>>54420842
Whats the model number

You can download MSI afterburner and tell it to show CPU and GPU temps. From there run a game and itll show in game your temps.

Youll know what is getting too hot and throttling.
6 years is far too long on thermal paste
>>
What the fuck is happening to g?
>>
>>54420842
everyone has to start somewhere i guess. The problem is you probably look at it as being more compleex than it is. A computer is honestly like lego, different parts go in different places and they all connect to the motherboard.

To check the power check everything is plugged in, then check the heatsink on the gpu by taking it off (have other thermal paste ready).

This guy >>54420892
is sort of right, although 6 years isnt "too much" for thermal paste.

It could honestly be an array of problems but those are the more frequent ones
>>
>>54420898

Normification
>>
>>54420898
/g/s past redemption. If i actually got the janitor position i would have cleaned up most of the shit on the board, but oh well. Lets just let it merge more into a W x V hybrid
>>
>>54420892
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394490,00.asp

That's literally my computer. Model number is DX4860

The only thing that isn't stock is the graphics card, which is an nvidia Geforce 9500 GT (if I'm not mistaken)
>>
>>54420961
>although 6 years isnt "too much" for thermal paste.

Not if you are using MX4, even cheap thermal paste today is a lot better than it was 6 years ago.
The stock core 2 duo cooling was absolute dog shit, and youd be lucky to get 2 years out of the paste before it got tacky and stopped being effective.
>>
>>54413201
Why not just discover the music you want on a streaming service, then torrent to your heart's content?
>>
>>54416211
Sounds like broswer-hijacking adware
>>
>>54421074
yes, the quality degrades but its not the end all most of the time. Its a rarer thing.
>>
File: Msi.png (258 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Msi.png
258 KB, 1920x1080
>>54420892
I'm going to say there is some issue with the cooling system, ive opened the case and everything seems to be connected, but I will buy thermal paste tomorrow.
>>
>>54416776
Linux Outlaws
TekSyndicate
>>
Is there a way to easily delete all of the mysql software that installs when your setting it up? Its spread far and wide and would take a fair bit to delete. Any one click solution?
>>
>>54412898
What is less likely to get you a copyright notice
DDL
or torrents?
>>
File: .jpg (29 KB, 300x309) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
29 KB, 300x309
>>54421215
>112 degrees Celsius
SHUT IT DOWN.
>>
>>54421248
well depends on coutry but ddl
>>
>>54418369
What about the galaxy phones keeps power users interested? Even with custom ROMs, the firmware is still buggy, and the hardware is still vulnerable. If you really need hardware expansion, there's LG.
>>
>>54421260
I'm in US
I would imagine DDL would be the best option because unlike torrents it doesn't throw your IP out for everyone who wants it
>>
>>54421288
I am merely a retard here with my own stupid question but couldn't you just use a VPN?
>>
>>54415244
This will work, however you are keeping data on the same physical disks as the OS partition so heavy I/O on one partition will affect performance on the other.
>>
>>54421357
well I've got the ability to ddl some files or torrent them and I would prefer to use the safest method
I don't want to pay for a vpn. If i must really download something that has a high chance of giving me a copyright notice I spoof my MAC and connect to a public wifi
>>
File: 1398656503615.gif (1 MB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
1398656503615.gif
1 MB, 294x233
Is there a way to quickly remove the audio track from a webm without having to download a whole new program?

VLC flips out when I try to convert anything with it and my video editing software of choice can export to webm but doesn't let me remove the audio track.
>>
>>54421401
/g/ gave me this.
https://www.vpnbook.com/
I dunno if it's any good but I trust these shady fucks more than my ISP.
>>
>>54421421
Thanks I'll give that a look
>>
16:25:54:561 (0208) > Total RAM = 16.0 GB (16348 MB)
16:25:54:584 (0208) > Avail RAM = 13.8 GB (14127 MB)
16:25:54:628 (0208) > Total virtual memory = 4.0 GB (4095 MB)
16:25:54:650 (0208) > Avail virtual memory = 3.4 GB (3453 MB)

UUUHHH???
>>
>>54414965
I'm using Asus, VT-d just works.
>>
>>54416763
Did you leave windows update on automatic? Because it looks like you left it to automatic, which is pure stupidity considering the shit Microsoft has pulled over the years with windows updates blue screening computers with updates.
>>
I have a 250GB and a 1TB drive. How big of a backup drive should I get? Thinking of doing a full backup every other week and a differential backup every 3 days but I'm not sure if that's retarded or not. Please help me.
>>
>>54421413
You might already have ffmpeg installed. If not get it because it's so damn useful for that type of shit.

ffmpeg -i input.webm -vcodec copy -an output.webm
>>
>>54421515
like you know Sizea + sizeb = sizebackup.

You delete old back ups.
>>
Anyone got that girls vs boys coding pic
>>
>>54414414
chmod 666 /dev/uinput
>>
Is Deluge still the best torrent client on windows?
>>
>>54421533
Correct syntax is
ffmpeg -I input.webm -c:v copy output.webm
>>
Good programs to rip CDA files from Music Discs?
>>
>>54421457
what about it?
>>
>>54421515
2TB. Consider getting an external hard drive for stuff you really care about and only plug it in when you need to add to it. If you have stuff you intend to store forever get M-Discs. If you want to get really autistic with your backups you can also get off site backup but that's typically going to come with a subscription fee and security risks.
>>
>>54421607
I still use it, works fine
>>
Is there a way to view images inside a zip/rar without first extracting them?
>>
>>54421734
you literally have to extract the image to view it, unless you're using a archive that hasn't compressed anything
>>
>>54421644
wheres all my ram going and whats virtual memory
>>
I got a shitty old laptop from somebody. Doesn't work unplugged. When plugging it in, the LED light comes up. Using XFCE's power manager it states the battery is at 0%.

Is it safe to assume the battery is dead and simply buy a replacement? Thinking of giving it to my dad if that's all it needs.
>>
>>54421859
its probably the ram
>>
So my toshiba satellite updated to windows 10 a while aho and thought fck this im putting windows 7 on it and i did but it wouldnt work for a while but i finally got it to start installing and now it jut sits at the starting windows screen and i tried holding the 0 key and going to factory reset but it only gives me the option to use windows 7 when i reset it, anyway to get it to work agian? I cant find the recovery cd btw
>>
I need more USB ports and my mobo has 2 Thunderbolt 3' ports but all the Thunderbolt USB hubs I can find are expensive as hell. Would I be better off getting a USB PCIE card?
>>
I'm about to install a nvdia card on a pc that currently has AMD card in it, is this the correct order?

1. remove AMD drivers.
2. switch the video cards.
3. install nvidia drivers.
>>
>>54422026
>1. remove AMD drivers.
>reboot
>make sure windows doesn't install drivers for you
>2. switch the video cards.
>reboot
>make sure windows doesn't install drivers for you
>3. install nvidia drivers.
>reboot
>>
Can anyone help me with a question about a one plus two? Home button stopped working out of nowhere even though nothing's changed. I did the hard reset method and it didn't do anything.
>>
I have a 770 2gb and an i5 4670. KF2 and Overwatch lags. I can run BF4 at max.. any reason I can't run Overwatch and KF2?
>>
>>54422442
Do you have at least 8GB of RAM? All I can think of.
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-07+at+01.40.05).png (31 KB, 652x595) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-07+at+01.40.05).png
31 KB, 652x595
>>54422576
I play overwatch at 200~ fps at lowest settings and it drops a ton in fights. I'm not really sure whats wrong with my card. I guess maybe it's getting too hot? my cpu is water cooled though
>>
Is there a good ebook reader (mobi, epub, fb2) for PC with sane controls (not that mobile gestures crap) and continuous page presentation (so I can scroll from one page to another having parts of both simultaneously on screen)? Drag and drop support is also a plus.
>>
>>54416763
i have the exact same problem
i have disabled windows update, but it still starts up with windows and i have to turn it off manually in resource manager every time
it takes up one entire core of processor and reserves around 1 GB of RAM
>>
>>54412898
Why was Kennedy smiling, didn't he know he was going to get shot?
>>
will a i5 4460 bottleneck a gtx 1070?
>>
>>54421491
Definitely not automatic. I have had it on the "check for updates but let me install them" option though, so that's part of it apparently.
Turning it off completely solved it, but why is it suddenly an issue?
>>
Can i set my windows phone change lock screen background every 5 mins?
>>
Will pcie2.0 x16 bottleneck the new 1080 or 1070?
>>
Am I too stupid for this? I've been studying computer science for 3 years now and I feel just as clueless and helpless as when I started.
>>
>>54419883
VM or Image mounting like daemon tools.
>>
File: 1433099140658.gif (51 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1433099140658.gif
51 KB, 500x376
Does anyone use Visual Basic at their work? Got a test for a testing job coming up that has a section on VB, curious what people actually use it for at their work so i can have a rough idea of what it'll ask about besides basic syntax shit.
>>
can i add widgets in ubuntu mate?
>>
>>54423242
we maintain a few old (15 years) asp.net (VB.NET) and access applications at work.
it's terrible and you need a lot of workarounds, so avoid at all costs.

no one would use that shit for new projects though.
>>
Which operating system should I use for a Raspberry Pi2? Use it for YouTube and Twitch with Kodi in my loungeroom, as well as git server stuff, and have been running arch, but it keeps crashing and being weird with video cache or ethernet or something.
Just raspbian? Is there a base edition or something so I don't have to manually uninstall the education stuff?
>>
>>54423479
Can i get any more details please anon? Workarounds because of the languages limitations i assume?
>>
>>54423530
I don't have many details since I rarely touch them, but there was some problem connecting to a https site once because it didn't know how to SSL, so you had to do it manually.
>>
If I enable 2-step verification on Google and others, will people be able to find my phone number knowing my email or vice versa?
The pin can be sent if I'm on airplane mode but with wifi enabled?
>>
File: 33985.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
33985.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
I have a laptop from 2011 with an SD card reader. Everything is backwards compatible right? Buying the latest SD cards will function fine right?
>>
>>54423621
yes
>>
What's a good cheap fan to replace on my hyper evo 212?
>>
>>54423621
no.
if you buy a SDXC card, then the reader needs to support SDXC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Overview
>>
>>54412898
I'm trying to simply change the quotelink colors with 4chan custom css (in settings).
I'm writing
a.quotelink {color:green;}
but it doesn't work.
>>
>>54423694
userstyles need !important to overwrite default styles.
>>
File: vmware-licenced-products.png (89 KB, 787x812) Image search: [Google]
vmware-licenced-products.png
89 KB, 787x812
anyone been able to find a crack or keygen for vcenter 6? the magnitude keygen generates keys for every single vmware 6 product except vcenter, and the only other keygens i've found have been botnet. pic related

>inb4 buy it or use free software
i'm 2nd / 3rd line tech support and this is for my home lab. it must be vcenter 6 because this is what many of our customers use. if i can't use vcenter for free at home then i'll just encourage customers to migrate to hyper-v.
>>
>>54423699
>the word is specific
>the syntax is specific
Why language makers do this?
I'm more used to custom css than overwriting them.
Isn't that more intuitive to implement
!important
in the default code when saving the css?
>>
>>54423676

ty for heads up.
>>
>>54423774
what
>>
guys
to run the oculus rift, they say on the specs page that you need 2x USB 3.0, and I only have 1 (and 3 normal 2.0 USB ports).
what would happen if I plugged the oculus on a 3.0 and 2.0 at the same time?
>>
>>54423774
>languages are languages
>>
Just got new phone what apps do I need and how to get?
>>
File: i-wish-a-nigga-would.jpg (9 KB, 299x312) Image search: [Google]
i-wish-a-nigga-would.jpg
9 KB, 299x312
>>54423810
The use of !important in css isn't intuitive. That's a specific name, used with a specific syntax.
In the other hand, the 4chan mod is a module supposed to set up new styles. So it's even less intuitive to use !important in it.

So I just tough that would be better to implement directly the missing !important by parsing the text and editing it if he lacks it, in the 4chan settings mod.

Just two cents tbqh
>>
What's with this swap? It doesn't consume anything.
>>
>>54423987
that could potentially mess with pseudo classes like :hover.
besides you're not always overriding other styles or want to override inline styles
>>
Can I fix a disabled iPhone with a factory reset? Is there any way it could be traced back to me? I've had it turned off for a week now
>>
>>54423961
Someone?
At least give me a link to a guide or something please i legit am lost
>>
File: __.png (178 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
__.png
178 KB, 500x500
>>54424148
>facebook
>instagram
>twitter
>whatsapp
>gmail

everything u need senpai
>>
>>54424170
I dont have that, I just want to be cool like you guys :(
>>
Ok this might be a bit of a weird one. Basically my computer isn't recognizing a direct ethernet connection, as in i have an ethernet cable running straight from my router into my computer, light's on the input of the mobo flash but no network registers and the computer doesn't even realise it has ethernet plugged into it. I'm able to physically tether my phone to the computer to access the internet and the computer will recognize this. I'm assuming this has something to do with the drivers of the mobo or something but I'm a little lost. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? Also, I forgot to add I've just done a clean install of Windows 7 hoping that it would resolve the issue, but to no avail...
>>
>>54424227
additional info; in device manager 'Ethernet Controller' shows under the 'Other devices' tab. I tried to update the drivers straight through device manager but it just came back saying it couldn't find any drivers online...
>>
>>54424383
Obviously no Ethernet adapter drivers installed. Now go and find some.
>>
File: Capture.png (17 KB, 429x481) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
17 KB, 429x481
>>54424403
This being the stupid questions thread; I'll ask another one. Where would I find the drivers?

(idk why but i thought looking at these might help me to look up what to install but i'm retarded and lost)
>>
>>54424438
are you using a 3rd party ethernet adapter or the integrated one in your motherboard?
did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?
>>
>>54416341
Fucking check yourself you stupid cunt
Or you could fuck off instead.
>>
for running virtual machines (maximum 4 machines at once) at good speed (no gaming, just good desktop/browsing performance), should I rather get a good overclocked 4-core processor from Intel, or is it generally better to get one of the 6-core processors from Intel? (I am thinking 6700k vs. 5930k ? Which would give me more desktop performance for my VMs and my host machine? (no gaming)
>>
>>54424438
> (idk why but i thought looking at these might help me to look up what to install but i'm retarded and lost)
It will:
http://pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=153b
>>
>>54414086
Windows, you faggot.
>>
>>54424438
you would find them here
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=ven_8086%26dev_153b
the botnet required you to use ie to view the site though
>>
File: 1448794246367.png (42 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
1448794246367.png
42 KB, 853x543
Reposting, did not see this thread, was searching for sqt fuggg.

Does anyone here use insider builds for Windows?
If so, is fast ring stable enough for daily use?
Can I opt out if I have issues?
Tell me your general experience, thanks.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
>>54424483
Looked up the drivers for that, installed them and I'm back on my feet. Many thanks anon, please take this stock image of a Koala from my Pictures folder as reward as I have nothing else on this fresh install to offer
>>
>>54424478
more slower cores are generally better than fewer faster cores for virtualisation
you could pick up a used hp z600 / z800 with 2x 6 core xeons and a fuckton of ram pretty cheap

>>54424519
>actually wanting an unstable operating system which hasn't been properly tested
might as well go the whole hog and install loonix while you're at it m8
>>
File: 1414258482163.png (4 KB, 240x178) Image search: [Google]
1414258482163.png
4 KB, 240x178
>>54424569
>might as well go the whole hog and install loonix while you're at it m8
But, I can not game on loonix m8.
>>
File: 1380316617161.gif (829 KB, 150x250) Image search: [Google]
1380316617161.gif
829 KB, 150x250
How do I get rid of adwares on android phone? Is factory reset is the only way to go?
>>
Do monitors need drivers or something? Because I just changed a graphics card from AMD to a NVIDIA one and it didn't recognize my monitor until I installed the drivers, luckily it did recognize my TV.
>>
>>54424677
> Do monitors need drivers or something?
No. Videocard was probably just using one device by default without drivers.
>>
Any books on modern C++ for a person who already knows how to program?
>>
>PPTP VPN
Just werks, zero security though. best choice for simple VPNs?
>L2TP VPN
Impossible to set up, hopeless protocol
>IPSec VPN
Impossible, see above.
>IKEV2
Should I try setting that up?
>OpenVPN
Needs external client, prefer not to. only choice left?

All I need is to access a LAN from outside, but so far I've only been met with unanswered problems and all efforts in vain.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.