[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isnt /g/ jerking off to React OS? >open source >windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1000px-ReactOS_logo.svg.png (285 KB, 1000x552) Image search: [Google]
1000px-ReactOS_logo.svg.png
285 KB, 1000x552
Why isnt /g/ jerking off to React OS?
>open source
>windows compatible
>not a botnet
>>
Because its in alpha and unstable
>>
Because it has been on alpha for decades, it will never be ready.
>>
>>54409789
just like you, save for the alpha part
>>
>Open sores
>>
>>54409703
It BSODs more than Windows 95.
>>
>>54409817
i thought they said like 10 years ago that they will reach the beta stage soon ?
>>
>>54409703
why would we ? it doesn't work. once it finally works i'll use it in a vm for my old lab hardware with windows only drivers. before that day, i couldn't care less
>>
>>54409703
I have to wonder, why bother? If it weren't for ReactOS's contributions to wine I'd have pretty much said that all that effort should have gone to something besides allowing people to keep using proprietary shit.
>>
So do you hate it or what?
>>
>>54409834
K
>>
My problem with React is that it solves a problem nobody should ever, EVER want solved. Let's step through the logic here:

1. Unix-like is better a better design than Windows 90% of the time, except for software and hardware compatibility. I don't think this point should be too controversial. Basically, the way Unix does things -- requiring modularity, using package managers, allowing for different environments to support the same software, workspaces, etc., is better than what Windows provides, if it weren't for the glaring issue that most software that is platform-specific requires Windows.
2. React OS uses WINE for Windows API compatibility. The part that the ReactOS team is working on is the kernel, explorer.exe, etc. Notably, all software which cannot run on WINE, cannot run on ReactOS. Again, not too controversial, a pretty well-established fact.

So combining points 1 and 2, the goal of React OS is to make an OS that has all of the compatibility issues of WINE, with all of the crappy design decisions of actual Windows. Why the FUCK would anyone ever want that?

Conclusion: any and all development hours towards React OS is development time that would have been more useful if it had been towards WINE instead.
>>
>>54409834
that was actually funny anon
thanks for making my day
>>
Because I couldn't give less of a shit about Windows compatibility. Most of my hardware can't even run Windows in the first place.
>>
Why? Unix is better than NT.
>>
File: CIA.jpg (134 KB, 801x743) Image search: [Google]
CIA.jpg
134 KB, 801x743
>>54409703
It's still in alpha. When they at least get it to beta, then I might try it out
>>
>>54409703
>Why isnt /g/ jerking off to React OS?
It's honestly not that exiting.
Until it has a compelling advantage over Wine+Linux, I don't see much interest in adopting it.

>>54409862
>i thought they said like 10 years ago that they will reach the beta stage soon ?
MS tried to kill it off, and put it years behind schedule. They've been playing catchup ever since.

>>54415740
>Because I couldn't give less of a shit about Windows compatibility.
Fair enough, but that is a minority view.
Even today, a very large percentage (most?) software that gets made is still made exclusively for Windows. And support for Windows software is still cited as one of the major reason why most people still run Windows on desktops and laptops.
>>
unfortunately reactOS should have released 10 years ago. now its irrelavent everyone has joined the botnet even most of the /g/-mans here. Only a few are keeping the last bastion of hope
>>
Every time I've used it my system ended up hanging or I had some really stupid display glitch. Certainly not ready for prime time.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.