[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wireless Router Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 51a7rCo8fML._SL1024_.jpg (50 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
51a7rCo8fML._SL1024_.jpg
50 KB, 1024x685
/g/ need to improve my home network (UK)

Currently, it's a shitey virgin media router.

I am thinking about putting it into modem mode and connecting a DD-WRT compatible router like pic related

any advice or tips for a newbie setting up a home network?
>>
1. Buy router
2. Plug it in
3. Install your freetard OS
>>
4. Off yourself
>>
>>54409714
kek thanx m9
>>
>>54409594
do it, faggot.
just make sure the router you choose is supported. you won't regret it.
do your research.
both Android, and iOS offer apps to manage your dd-wrt enabled router from your mobile devices.

don't be a faggot.
>>
>>54410156
what specific features do you like about it, sir?
>>
I liked the interface for tomato more so than dd-wrt. Traffic shaping options are better with tomato too. I hear openWRT is considered the better choice of the 2 but is more difficult to set up. All and all, I liked the extra options available with the 3rd party firmwares but my ERL has been less finicky.
>>
>>54410566
it it superior in every way to stock firmware.
too many features to name, but here is a critical example:
I have an old tp-link dwr3600. the default fw only supported supported 8-character passwords (no extended chars) and you could not change the user name. these limitations do not exist in dd-wrt. also, several vulnerabilities rose that went unpatched by a few manufacturers and we're serious. some have backdoors. ddwrt maintains active beta releases for most of the routers they support, and the list is extensive.

additionally, on routers with enough RAM or USB storage, you can install packages that give your router capabilities one never imagined possible.
it's powerful, but not overwhelming. it even has themes for those who enjoy some eye candy. ddwrt is based on openwrt, the original, and still the most powerful open firmware available. I also run openwrt on a separate network, but, it is not for beginners.
>>
>>54409594
What do you want to achieve that you can't accomplish with the VM router apart from changing the DNS it uses?
>>
>>54409594
fyi
ddwrt eats bandwith
>>
>>54409697
Pretty much this
Most routers' stock firmware will have easy firmware installation
>>
>>54409697
>Install your freetard OS
opinions on the LEDE fork ( https://www.lede-project.org/ )?
>>
>>54411845
Not him, but I think it holds promise.
Time will tell. The fact that there is a spinoff of a project of that complexity is good news to me.
LEDE just got off the ground several days ago.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.