[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do algorithms have any real world uses?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: cover.png (38 KB, 749x941) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
38 KB, 749x941
Do algorithms have any real world uses?
>>
>>54408600
Only if you go into the higher echelons of computer science.
>>
even sorting in Micro$hits Word is an algorithm
>>
Maybe if you end up doing research, but for the 80% of CS majors who end up as java/c# codemonkeys for major companies the answer is no.
>>
>>54408600
What is the best online algorithms course
>>
>>54408600
No, they are completely useless, computers work with magic these days. Forget those outdated things you've learned.
>>
>>54408600
Do you not know what an algorithm is?
>>
They are obsolete nowadays since we just let the cloud compute everything
>>
Yes algorithms are incredibly important. Look up λ-calculus, computability theory and the Church–Turing thesis
>>
No, you won't discover any new ones and the great ones are already packed into a library of your favorite language. There hasn't been a useful one discovered in about 5 years.
>>
>>54408600
Computer used to work solely off of algorithms, but with the invention of node.js that's a thing of the past. Soon computers will run off of node.js and will be much simpler and faster.
>>
>>54408600
You can't make me a sammich without one.
>>
>Do humans breathe?
>>
>>54408870
How could a computer run directly off an interpreted language?
>>
>>54408823
>le functional programming maymay
But look them up tho.
>>
>>54409129
Magic, just like LISP machines used to do.
>>
File: A_new_kind_of_science.png (102 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
A_new_kind_of_science.png
102 KB, 245x300
Reality is an algorithm
>>
>>54409146
That barely has anything to do with functional programming
>>
>>54408872
>make me a sammich
Virgin detected.
>>
I get the feeling /g/ is probably gonna hate on me for saying this for some reason, but you can use algorithms to make music. Obviously everyone part of music is based on math, but you can do some fun stuff with generative music in programs like max.msp. Not sure if this counts as a real world use.
jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbb08ifTzUk

autechre shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QmdCxIXs0Y

fun stuff. obviously it can get a lot more complex than this.
>>
>>54409022
/thread
>>
>>54412761
>everyone
*every
>>
>>54412761
That jazz was kinda comfy
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.