[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/ I have old netbook. Don't have it now in front
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1448812425145.jpg (82 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
1448812425145.jpg
82 KB, 550x413
Sup /g/

I have old netbook. Don't have it now in front of me now but I guess it has the following specification at best: 1,6Ghz cpu and 1-2 GB of ram. What distribution and what software should I install on it in order to watch youtube on external monitor without video hanging/being 'jumpy'?
>>
>>54406830
Youtube-dl, livestreamer, VLC
>>
Install gentoo
>>
Fedora.

>>54406853
> livestreamer, VLC

No pleb, just mpv.
>>
>>54406830
Debian with XFCE.

Any other answer is a malicious lie.
>>
>>54406830
/g/ IS NOT YOUR MOTHERFUCKING TECH SUPOPRT.
That being said, Atom N270 can play low bitrate 720p video without problems, but you need to download it, as this anon pointed out >>54406853
Sadly, that atom doesn't have hardware decoding so everything is handled by the cpu, if you wanted you could install a broadcom video card to fully play up to 1080p@48Mbps video.
http://www.amazon.com/BCM970015-Broadcom-Hardware-Decoder-Accelerator/dp/B0050QJUP0
>>
OP here,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Using youtube-dl is not exactly what I was looking for. I was wandering if I can pull this off with really minimal X + browser installation, however if I have to put up with downloading, how do I do it 'with style'? The vision of finding the video in the browser, copying the http, running yt-dl and starting vlc is not necessarily a good one.
>>
>>54407009
I think you can make a simple script to launch mpv with the output from youtube-dl directly for streaming the video, not downloading it.
Look around
>>
>>54407045
mpv uses youtube-dl for streaming, you don't need a script unless you are doing something really out of the ordinary.

>>54406830
>What distribution and what software should I install
You are asking for a distro circle-jerk. And that isn't going to be helpful to you.

I would recommend doing some research on your own. Use wikipedia and youtube to investigate lightweight distros. Then once you narrow it down you can ask specific questions. As it stands, you are probably going to get a technicolor yawn of opinions and shitposting.
>>
Thanks again. Have a grate weekend.
>>
Similar question to OP

My little brother no longer needs his netbook and I'm wondering if it could be useful for anything at all or I should just throw it out.

>Atom N540 1.66 GHz
>1 GB RAM
>Current OS: XP
>>
>>54407009
I've used this addon in the past and it works quite well. https://github.com/SirCmpwn/ExternalPlayer
>>
>>54408740
You could try skipping it across Lake Michigan.
>>
>>54406830
Put android on it.
>>
>>54406830

Check for ChromeOS support.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.