[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm on a Linux system. I'm looking to settle down with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_2016-05-03-22-06-31.png (356 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-03-22-06-31.png
356 KB, 1080x1920
I'm on a Linux system. I'm looking to settle down with a general purpose programming language for working on desktop applications of all sorts. From commandline to GUI, maybe even web apps to.

Trying to hone my craft to get hired on day, but not anytime soon. Just haveing fun for now.

So, shill me on your language of choice.

>inb4 meme langs and ded langs
>>
*one
>>
File: horse.png (55 KB, 1030x231) Image search: [Google]
horse.png
55 KB, 1030x231
C is the best you can get on a *nix system. If you want something newer use C++ or maybe even Rust. But Rust is pretty limited library wise.
>>
>>54398464
C, python
>>
>>54398529
>>54398529
OP here.

Iv been language shopping for a bit now. I'm quite familiar with C and like it. Iv gone as far to implemented malloc and free with system calls and doubly linked list once. On the other hand the lack of syntatic sugur is something that bothers me a little about it. But the library support is unmatched.

Rust tho is a breath of fresh air. It's ecosystem is really taking off, lots of syntatic sugur, and cargo is a God send. Again, on the other hand, it syntax is really iffy causeing a large learning curve for me. I want to like it as much as everyone else but I'm finding it hard right now. Keep in mind iv only ever read a little bit of their introduction book to the lang and fiddled a little with some of the code they supplied.
>>
>>54398783
That syntax of Rust is a bit strange, but the tooling with cargo, rustfmt and racer works so good that I can oversee the weird syntax.
>>
Python is pretty good~
>>
Just learn any popular language.
My recommendation is C or C++ (or C# if windows dev).
For web dev, pick Java or PHP (haters gonna hate).
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.