[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /g/ feel about Libre Office?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10
File: Screenshot_2016-05-05_16-54-42.png (108 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-05_16-54-42.png
108 KB, 1600x900
How does /g/ feel about Libre Office?
>>
Libre Office is a meme.
>>
Does the job. I think there's an inverse relationship between how much people use it and how much they care about it. One ought to be too busy doing work with an office suite to sit there and contemplate its virtues and shortcomings.
>>
>>54397096
Is it really?
>>
It's absolute fucking shit compared to MSO.
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 875x875) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 875x875
Fuck off.
why do we have shitty bait threads like this for every single piece of software?
>>
bloatware. Most users can get by with abiword or gnumeric.

Why do you ask?
>>
i use it now and then. works fine.

bait thread need to try harder.
>>
Typical freetard """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""equivalent"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>not latex
>>
I used it to do work before I had a chance to pirate MS office, but it ended up being good enough for me to not bother with word or excel
powerpoint is still noticeably better than libre's though
>>
File: know_ribbon_slide1.png (9 KB, 768x147) Image search: [Google]
know_ribbon_slide1.png
9 KB, 768x147
it needs ribbon
>>
>>54397248
https://smehrbrodt.wordpress.com/2015/11/24/improving-the-toolbars-in-libreoffice/
>>
Table formatting options are terrible. You can't even resize them like you can in MSW. Belongs in the recycle bin tbqh.
>>
>>54397088
It does encodings right unlike Microsoft's shitty equivalent. It's too bad we can't just tell our clients to use libre to view foreigner data properly

Why is Microsoft so actively against developers and keeping up with the modern world?
>>
>>54397088
oddly enough im more productive using LO then MSO
but then again, i can say the same thing with MSOXP vs MSO635

i like it
>>
>>54397088
It's the best office suite, better than openoffice, but both are way better than Microsoft Office. I actually know a woman who works at Microsoft in the office department and they are fucked
>>
>>54397248
>> Javier
>> unaware of botnet
>>
>>54397380
and ofc they look hideous
>>
>>54397465
They are mock-ups...
>>
>>54397380
Customizing LibreOffice is pretty easy, I convinced my girlfriend to use it after she went on a tirade about Microsoft office deleting her headers.
>>
>>54397123
Not really. I use it for simple word docs and converting them to PDF. I haven't had any issues to date but who knows.
>>
>>54397480
one more reason for them to not look so hideous
>>
>>54397164
Because people find plausible deniability behind the tech support rule and disregard Google to find reviews and comparisons
>>
File: 35ZOMmI.jpg (76 KB, 790x960) Image search: [Google]
35ZOMmI.jpg
76 KB, 790x960
>>54397088
>>
>>
>>54397222
This
>>
I have a free copy of word from uni installed in my machie, but I still use libreoffice. Shits faster.
>>
>>54397088
It's shit you can run Microsoft office via wine, no reason to use Libre.
>>
>>54397088
I've been using it for about two years for my degree with no problems.
its a word processor and it works fine for that
the built in dictionary sucks ass though and I don't think it has grammar checking like MSO does
>>
It's absolutely fine for basic home use.
>>
>>54397088
It's great, much better than Office after they started to destroy with with MSO2007
It's a perfect upgrade from the completely hideous and botnet MSO2016
>>
>>54397088

>send uni project specs as docx just before a deadline
>save as docx in libre office
>mail it to professor
>he uses ms office
>opens my file
>ElUsrHQ16+G-2isfP*-Gp"W+hd^K2^g[5Ltc/jF$-RTE7%L.R%E&]DK]tD#Em-MsBc_m\=ZSIQjhVPD#IWp"&cdKV<E3$,$Ob,[email protected]//1*ji]j@o-Jo,nB,6DZ9sh@;aqW^iht-I28HCR%g=hFVS8`h%bK#71Y-5%J?+\q<-f<_7r$j^rkih4QT!GZ-S!t@#^UUd]drTSOh]jMa;4Lo:,9sQ$>I7:+;XtKAK

>thanks libre office
>>
>>54397924
You could've copied the content of your document in one drive ( web based ) and export the .docx ... but stupid people like you deserve their fate.
>>
>>54397924
>things that never happened
as I said here >>54397804
I have been using LO for at least two years and I save all my documents as .docx
when they are going to normies and haven't had any issues.

most of my issues stem from MSO fucking up .odt files and destroying the formating in them
>>
>>54397952

>You could've used something else

i rest my case.
>>
>>54397088
>looks less shitty than MSO
>10x less bloat than MSO
>logical option/feature locations
>literally no feature that I use in LO is any worse than in MSO
>.docx files work seamlessly when opened in MSO
>free

It's pretty good.
>>
>>54397088

>2016
>still having the word-processing Jew installed on your computer
>not simply writing and compiling everything you write in LaTeX
>>
After switching over to Linux as my daily driver OS, Microsoft Office is one of the few things that I have in a Windows 7 virtual machine. I'm Office certified, so I've spent more effort learning the ins and outs of Word than Writer and am probably biased - but 99% of the time, I start writing in Writer, get frustrated with some feature not working the way I want it to (typically moving images around or inserting tables) and fire up the VM. It's not bad, but it's definitely worse. Especially when you consider that saving your documents as .docx can have weird effects when you reopen them - or worse, open them in word - it makes it too much of a hassle to really bother.

Calc is actually pretty good, I don't have any real complaints. Now that I think about it, if anything, making graphs is easier than in Excel. I haven't really tried Impress.

>>54398374
Do you use embedded spreadsheets or images in your documents? Often when I insert a text box and open it in word, the text box is in the wrong place or misaligned.
>>
screen tears when I scroll and I hate it
>>
>>54397088
Hand in a pdf at the end and everything is fine
There are things that Google docs and Libre office can't both do that MS Office can, if you actually need them more power to you
>>
>>54398449
Impress is perfectly capable for the way you're supposed to make presentations--simple and informative--but miles behind PowerPoint for the flashy shit that corporate monkeys and high school students love. The edge that Impress (and the LO/OO suite) had for a bit was straightforward exporting to PDF. For proper non-flashy presentations this was a godsend because every computer in an office setting will be able to open your presentation as a PDF.

There now you're caught up on Impress.
>>
>>54397244
This
I mostly use kingsoft for opening pptx
>>
>>54398449
MSO seems to be better for power users
>>
>>54397123
Because a plane full of jet fuel ramming a building is pretty fucking common
>>
>>54398660
Because explosions that powerful in any building (not set for demolishment, ofc) is pretty fucking common
>>
>>54397659
Using a shit OS to pretend its a a good OS to run better office software
>>
*sigh* this again...
OK, it depends on your wants and needs.

If you work for any kind of professional enterprise you will need to you Microsoft Office or your file formatting will get fucked up when someone opens your LibreOffice .ods file, or whatever the fuck format you used, on MS Office.

If you're just gonna convert stuff to .pdf files then it doesn't matter at all, might as well use what's comfortable for you, but it makes sense to just use MS Office because fucking everyone else does.

If LaTeX works for you then that's fine too, but it's pretty niche and not required for most people's needs.

Also the cost of MS Office is irrelevant, if you work for a proper company they should pay for it, if you use it at home you can easily pirate it. I don't think anyone is happy except Microsoft but that's the way it is, they've got a monopoly, nothing we can do about it.

There is nothing else to be said on this subject.
>>
>>54398694
You forgot that a plane rammed the fucking building at over 500MPH, full of jet fuel.
>>
>>54397198
Needs more quotation marks desu senpai
>>
>>54398702
>If LaTeX works for you then that's fine too, but it's pretty niche and not required for most people's needs.
If perfectly formatted printable PDFs generated from a text document with two lines of markup is niche, then call me the world's biggest hipster.
>>
>>54397164
They crave the edgy feel and need to criticize everything that exists.
>>
>>54398864
Yeah, until you want to start cusotmizing more and more shit. Most people don't want to leave markup, they want to click a button to change colors and fonts. You're never going to change this, and you're especially not going to change this by (not saying you do this) typical /g/ tactics such as calling people stupid niggers or whatever.
>>
Runs way better than Microsoft Office. That's a huge advantages since usually office programs are used at jobs with slower PCs while the employees are multitasking. We switched to Libre recently after pirating ms office for years, and it's received nothing but praise now that employees can play Farmville without lag.
>>
>>54398993
Then you send a word document to a company you're corresponding with and the formatting gets all fucked up so it either a) makes you look unprofessional as fuck, or b) doesn't even work at all.

Solid business decision.
>>
>>54398911
nice bush dubs
>>
>>54399024
You can save documents in MS Office formats.
>>
File: 2016-05-05-18:21:08-scrot.jpg (517 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-05-18:21:08-scrot.jpg
517 KB, 1366x768
>>54398951
with the exception of the fonts, everything you could possibly need is a quick google away. I built this up over the course of like a week writing papers, adding things as I needed them. It's just a real shame that no one's made a comprehensive IDE for latex like libreoffice, the one here has several useless/obtuse features.
>>
I just spent a few weeks writing documentation with LO Writer, it has some oddities but it's fine.
I'm not gonna run Microshit Orifice in WINE, so it's not like I had a choice.
>>
>>54399044
Yes, but the formatting isn't consistent between MS Office and LibreOffice Office.

>>54399051
>quick google away
Still way more than most people are willing to do. No matter what you say you aren't going to change this by arguing.
>>
>>54398951

Even as soon as you start using numbered section headings or example numbers, the returns to using a markup language drastically outstrip what little work goes into typing our commands for bolding, etc.

I'm not going to say that we should be teaching Kindergarteners LaTeX, but writing even at a high school level would be a lot easier if done in a markup language.

My undergraduates have way more trouble managing Word GUI for headers, spacing, and other BS, all of which changes with each Word release (let's not even talk about the differences with LO, etc.). And references... Jesus Christ...
>>
>>54399070
You could upload it to Google docs, since it's usually emailed anyway.
>>
>>54399086
Dr. Scott?
>>
>>54398736
jet fuel can't melt steel beams
>>
>>54399086
Shit man I know, I am a math student and even most people in my classes won't learn LaTeX. It's just the way shit is. Word is ingrained in our society, we're not gonna change it overnight.

>>54399096
Still the same issues with formatting, in fact Google Docs formatting has turned some of my documents into Chinese.
>>
>>54399070
>LibreOffice Office
what?
>>
>>54399159
I'm on my phone, autocorrect is a bitch and I'm tired.
>>
>>54397248
this is why i refuse to use windows, look at this shit you log onto your own software for some reason.
also microsoft can do whatever they want with forced updates how can anyone trust that, they can literally remove features if they so desire and you can't do shit.
its like WoW, but instead of blizzard doing retarded shit its microsoft and its your OS WTF!

fuck microsoft
>>
>>54399159
I'm grateful that I'm a retard but not "libreoffice office" retard
>>
>>54397088
>muh loonix meme version of MS Office
>>
>>54399281
>Loonix
>Meme
What are you gonna do with the spare chromosome?
>>
>>54399024
If it's correspondence, why would you use anything other than pdf (or eps)? I get if it's in company things that need to be edited, but why use a editable format if it's the final thing?
>>
>>54397222
Is there a guide for writing slideshow presentations in latex you recommend? Literally all I need anymore from a bloated office suite
>>
>>54399554
it's a pdf, of course.
http://tug.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf
>>
>>54397088
it does what it's supposed to do but I find it disappointing and unenjoyable to use

and the shills annoy the shit out of me
>>
LaTeX is better.
>>
>>54397088
I don't like it very much, but it's free so I use it.
>>
File: SummerGlau7.jpg (49 KB, 390x621) Image search: [Google]
SummerGlau7.jpg
49 KB, 390x621
>>54397168
abiword is amazing. I can actually get some writing down with it.
>>
>>54400868

aye to that.
>>
>>54397123
>Normal office fires

And a jet full of explosive fuel hitting them, the weight of a skyscraper pushing down on them, the structural integrity of the entire building (which was built from less sturdy materials than the one in your picture so as to allow its height).

Please be trolling.
>>
>>54397088
When I was a poor as fuck student who needed a word processor (legally) it was a godsend. It allows people who can't afford MS Office/Mac Office (or whatever Apple calls it) to be able to work to the standard of people that do.

I really admire the people behind projects like this, they're really helping a lot of people.

I think a lot of "refurbished" PCs are sold with it pre-installed here in the UK these days, so I imagine that a lot of people buying cheap hardware are now getting wider exposure to it, which is a good thing.
>>
>>54397088
I use its background service for programmatic docx to pdf conversion. it's the only freeware or open source thing I could find that doesn't produce broken pdfs after the conversion
>>
Fucking horrid shit. Someone should just replace Docx already.
>>
File: WPS-Office-Logo-RGB-082915.png (4 KB, 450x100) Image search: [Google]
WPS-Office-Logo-RGB-082915.png
4 KB, 450x100
I made a document for windows phone, and it wasn't compatible so I made one in WPS office and it worked.
>>
Libre Office / Open Office kicks ass.
>>
>>54397123
why are 9/11 conspiracy theorists the most insufferable faggots on the planet
why do they spill over from reddit to here so frequently
>>
It get's the job done for simple stuff.
But it will never catch up with Excel and i don't care much about Writer becasue i use Texmaker for most of my documents.
>>
>>54397924
rule #1 of handing in anything is saving it as a .pdf
>>
File: 1448181364688.png (166 KB, 487x266) Image search: [Google]
1448181364688.png
166 KB, 487x266
>>54397123
>>
>>54398702
>If you work for any kind of professional enterprise you will need to you Microsoft Office or your file formatting will get fucked up when someone opens your LibreOffice .ods file, or whatever the fuck format you used, on MS Office.
Except it doesn't, Microsoft Office mangles anything related to OpenDocument because they hate interoperability
But guess what? docx isn't mangled by neither

Fucking shills
>>
>>54401922
Office drones usually shill for MS Office.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.