[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I use linux as my kernel systemd as my init system qt kde an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: AVT_Richard-Stallman_1502.jpg (7 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
AVT_Richard-Stallman_1502.jpg
7 KB, 183x275
I use linux as my kernel
systemd as my init system
qt kde and x.org for GUI
llvm for compiling
and RMS still wants me to call my system GNU/Linux?
>>
Do tell, anon. What do you use for your coreutils?
>>
>>54393691
systemd only compiles with glibc which is part of GNU
>>
>>54394297
This and the linux kernel only compiles with gcc as far as I found out.
and most distros use glibc vs any other libc
and most distros use the GNU userland utilities

but its still retarded, we should be calling it the GNU OS because we don't call
OS X Darwin or Windows NT; at least not anymore.
>>
>>
>>54394297
>>54394429
but is glibc enough to call the os GNU?
we dont call windows msvcrt right?
>>
>>54394286
are the coreutils important enough to call the os after them? its not like you need to use them if you are not a power user and use one of the modern distros that arent arch or gentoo
>>
File: 1460513471406.jpg (46 KB, 618x793) Image search: [Google]
1460513471406.jpg
46 KB, 618x793
>>54394544
no but having a "fully functioning" OS which includes libc, coreutils and
a great Compiler suite (honestly RMS's saving grace) does.

If Windows used the Darwin kernel along with BSD userland would it matter?
The greater parts of the OS are still made by Microsoft and packaged as windows.

The only reason they (the GNU project) have not written a kernel is because there
is no commercial interest at this point to continue Hurd and it is a
better use of man power to keep the linux kernel as the GNU kernel.
>>
>>54394581
I didn't suggest anything like what you're saying, I'm just asking what OP uses for their coreutils. They left that detail out.
>>
>>54394544
Yes, the C library is literally the most important part in an UNIX system after the kernel.

Microsoft can call their OS as they please. GNU/Linux is a community effort and it's completely different.
>>
>>54394755
I should also add that I just call it Linux because that is easier
and without the combined effort of GNU/[insert your init system here]/X.org/Linux
the system would be completely unusable.
>>
>>54394859
Not only that, the creator of Linux (both the kernel and the OS) calls it Linux because he's not an autistic 63 year old NEET.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.