[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw will never live in the glorious early days of bit twiddling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Age-of-Empires-I.jpg (258 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Age-of-Empires-I.jpg
258 KB, 1200x900
>tfw will never live in the glorious early days of bit twiddling and memory hacks
Why live?

Programming today is just code-monkeying and gluing APIs together. It's no longer a task for true men, but something random photo models teach to 13-yo girls.
>>
what interesting things have you programmed, OP?
>>
I'm guessing you're feeling the same thing that I am because of that post about MIT no longer teaching from the SICP book. Don't worry about it too much; just work on what you're interested in, because there's still plenty of work to do in systems programming. Let the casuals do web programming.
>>
>>54382282
SICP is Lisp trash, the root of the "web programming" philosophy. It's part of the problem.
>>
>>54382252
Is that age of empires?
>>
>>54383312
Is that a filename?
I swear thats what the filename says.
>>
>>54382533
I was learning lisp (scheme) in high school before the web even existed outside of acedemia.
>>
>>54383396
Well, it might have been something more modern like ashes of the singularity or that halo rts
>>
>>54382252
Go write some demoscene or game shit for C64 or something if you're that obsessed.
>>
>>54383502
Then he quietly returns to C# with his head held in shame.
>>
>people without jobs who only program at the hobbyist level complain about the current state of technology and programming
Kill yourself
>>
Buy an Arduino.

Contribute to the Linux kernel.

Work on a game engine.

Bit twiddling never went away, we just have more layers of abstraction to hide it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.