[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pre-Touch Sensing for Mobile Interaction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Why isn't this kind of tech more widespread?
HTC phones already got something like that a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZkEYLXctE
>>
>>54381617
samsung had this.

turned out it drained way too much battery
>>
>>54381637
Bluetooth used to drain too much battery too. Doesn't mean it can't be made more efficient.
>>
>>54381753
the thing is this also turned out as a gimmick rather than usefull
>>
>>54381782
I can see it being very useful for the video player features they demonstrated. Not too sure about the web browser thing though.

I'd really like a UI that adjusts to fit the positioning of my fingers, especially with phones getting progressively larger.
>>
>>54381617
Gimmick again, it will die again, the Android phone companies don't give a fuck about support or to do actual work on this type of stuff, it just a "fun" gimmick without real support.
>>
>>54381874
Maybe if Google picks it up, there will be official support. Seems like a nice thing to expose an API for. Too bad Microshaft probably patented it.
>>
>>54381617
This is basically just ramping up the sensitivity of the capacitive touch screen.

Have you ever noticed that sometimes your phone detects a touch before you actually touch the screen? I certainly have. It is part of the very reason you can use a capacitive screen through the glass face of the device, or while wearing gloves.
>>
>>54381782
>>54381874
It is gimmicky because it's not fully integrated to the os.
This is where Apple shines. When they have good tech, they design it to make it work within iOS from the bottom.
>>
>>54381837
i almost never watch videos on my smartphone. neither would i need or should i rather say, pay for this gimmick to suck on my battery as well on the tiniest amount
>>
>>54382019
But I watch videos on my smartphone, and I think the majority of smartphone users do as well.
>>
>>54382010
Implications.

I was playing around with force touch the other day and something I noticed that I haven't seen anyone mention is that there is a delay you need to hold for to activate it.
Even if you apply the same pressure but hold it for too short an amount of time it just registers as a regular press.
So it literally is a gimmicky long press, despite what defenders have been saying.
>>
>>54382098
i don't give a fuck.

i hope this doesn't become a meme on /g/
>>
Now make it detect eye movement so it can be used with cardboard VR
>>
>>54382116
So it's a meme just because you specifically don't use it even though literally millions of other people do?
>>
>>54381782
That example where it highlights hyperlinks on the web browser looks extremely useful. I always fat finger and click wrong stuff on mobile web and think highlighting like that would be very helpful.
>>
>>54381617
I would turn this shit off so fast.
>>
Looks cool. Especially the gestures and that double touch thing. Way better than apple "muh '3d' force touch shit"
>>
>>54382109

This is WRONG. You can force touch in an instant you are just retarded
>>
>>54384112
Nope, I tested it multiple times, there is definitely a required delay.
You can't just tap straight into a force touch.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.