[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
emacs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1443993574193.png (35 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1443993574193.png
35 KB, 650x650
How to get comfy with emacs? I've been a Vim user for many years, but I want to try out emacs. Is it easy to learn like Vim? Any hints for beginners?

emacs thread.
>>
>>54371009
Don't use evil mode, no matter how tempting it seems at first. First thing to do is to remap your keyboard like
Super > Meta > Ctrl > S P A C E < Ctrl < Meta < Super
Then suddenly all the emacs chords make sense, and now you can go through the tutorial without getting RSI.

Don't listen to the spacemacs shills, you have far more power over your customisation if you build your own init.el gradually as you learn more stuff.

http://emacs.sexy/ gives a pretty nice overview. In particular the link to the blog about stripping emacs down gives some sane defaults like disable warning bells, disable cursor blinking, disable menu and tool bars etc.
>>
Install evil-mode, but still remember the Emacs keybindings, they're not actually that hard. For the rest the previous poster is right, build your own init file and don't listen to spacemacs shills

Also read the wiki (https://www.emacswiki.org/), it's loaded with info, and Google around for "best Emacs extensions" and shit.

Have fun OP, I recently made the switch myself. Emacs has so much stuff I never knew I missed.
>>
getting emacs to work with c# is a pain in the butt, the documentation of omnisharp and related plugins is either incomplete, wrong or outdated

it sucks because using emacs just for org-mode is pretty silly, and I can't memorize all the keybindings if I just use it sporadically for org-mode
>>
Do you want to continue using vim's editing style? Because Emacs can certainly accommodate that, but some would argue that it can feel at odds with the rest of the editor.

That was my journey, I came from vim wanting a better environment, used evil-mode for a few years and slowly drifted towards doing things the Emacs instead.
>>
>>54371386
So basically I need to learn a dead fucking programming language to customize my editor. wew lad
>>
>>54372330
If you don't know any lisp this is a great opportunity. No other language compares in terms of expressiveness, it's enlightening to learn.

A lot of people come to Emacs because no other editor compares for Lisp. It's certainly not dead.
>>
>>54372330
Lisp is more alive than fucking vimscript, your argument is moot.
Also it's not like you need in-depth knowledge of elisp in order to configure Emacs, you can pick up the basics in an hour.
>>
>>54372348
>>54372479
>>54372348
>>54372479
Yeah picking up basics for what? To customize fucking editor. Wasting time to learn some basics of a language and not whole language fully, and the best part is even if you learn it fully,its a fucking lisp, useless.
And i am not defending vim, vim is for retards.
>>
>>54371009
>Is it easy to learn like Vim?
>>
>>54372555
Why don't you make something with Lisp then? Emacs isn't the only environment in which you can use it.
>>
I've been using Emacs for three years now but I'm beginning to feel ambivalent about it.

For me Emacs has three main purposes: light editing, heavy coding, and as a personal organiser.

Emacs obviously does light editing fine, although it's pointlessly bloated and complex for that purpose.

Then there is the heavy coding. Here is when people try to turn Emacs into an IDE with 14 different plugins per language all requiring separate setup and updating on different schedules, all taped together with snippets of Elisp. It would be simpler just to use an IDE. Although obviously Emacs is the best choice for languages that don't have their own IDEs.

Then there is personal organising. Org-mode is wonderful, but the problem is that it doesn't have any real mobile support. There are a couple of Android apps but they're both shit. Ideally personal organising would be phone-first, PC-second, but with org-mode it's PC-first, phone-not-at-all.

So I don't know. I'm not happy. But I don't know about any alternatives so I'll probably just stick with Emacs for now.
>>
File: cover.png (123 KB, 361x458) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
123 KB, 361x458
Its not a joke when people say that emacs is an operating system, pic related is the best book for learning emacs as it teaches the underlying systems of emacs. Its going to take a very long investment of time to learn emacs, anyone who tells you that you can learn emacs just by knowing a basic set of hotkeys like vim is lying.
>>
>>54371386
>Super > Meta > Ctrl > S P A C E < Ctrl < Meta < Super
I dont get it, what is being remapped to what here?
>>
>>54372935
Pretty sure those are the keys as you read them across the bottom of your keyboard. If you have a fn key, ignore it.
>>
File: Space-cadet.jpg (1 MB, 2001x773) Image search: [Google]
Space-cadet.jpg
1 MB, 2001x773
>>54372935
>>
>>54372290
i'm with evil and i'm considering to remove it but vim keybindings are too comfy imo.

if you want to change the text inside quotes you can just press ci". with emacs i don't even know if you can do it without writing some elisp function and binding it somewhere.
it seems to me that vim keybindings and functionalities are much better to edit text.
>>
>>54373174
I agree, what I ended up with was using evil for editing text because of things like the example you gave, but disabling it everywhere else. It does take some consideration as to where text-editing ends and emacs begins if you set it up yourself, though.
>>
Use Spacemacs in evil mode you silly goose.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.