[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lost my old cable modem and router when moving to a different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Lost my old cable modem and router when moving to a different state because the shippers lost a box. Used to have the old, boxy Motorola SB6120 and an Asus RT-N66U. Liked that they weren't flashy, and I liked I could throw TomatoUSB on the rotuer.

Looking for an AC router, good quality, and a 16x8 modem to replace/upgrade what I lost. Is there anything out there that doesn't look like it was made to race for pink slips?

I mean, fuck, look at this piece of shit. Is there any way that's not secretly a Decepticon? Can I get something that isn't directed by Michael Bay to route my fucking packets? What the fuck, guys. Any real recommendations?
>>
Why are they making it look like a garbage Alien ware
Like holy shit this is the last thing I wanna present to other people
>>
>>54369826
What about a nitehawk? Pretty good openwrt support, I run DDWRT on mine with no issues (With YAMON to monitor traffic). Plus it isn't too atrocious. It's not exactly a brick, but it's not too horriable
>>
>>54369856

It's awful. I feel for any parent who has to shell out 300+ bucks to get this for their kid who wants a "faster ping" in CS:GO.
>>
File: 1253896_1160-100055783-large.jpg (51 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
1253896_1160-100055783-large.jpg
51 KB, 580x388
>>54369903

This one? Yeah, that's pretty good. Still looks a bit like it was designed to break the land speed record, but at least it's very unobtrusive.

What kind of router are you running?
>>
>>54369826
You can probably get a TP Link archer with a cable modem unit included.
Cheap, just works downside might be that you probably can't flash it because it's a cable modem.
http://www.tp-link.pt/products/details/cat-16_Archer-CR700.html

Won't exactly break the bank.
>>
>>54369960

er sorry, modem not router >>54369903
>>
>>54369986
>Autism
>>
>>54369986
>muh /g/
>>
>>54369960
a nitehawk :D Solid hardware, was the best consumer router out when we got it. It's not exactly flat but not a pyramid or death star so it's pleasantly reserved compared to others.

>>54369969
Absolutely disgusting on the basis of being a modem-router combo. Also useless in the context of the op, explicitly asked for something hackable.

>>54369986
I've seen people here go on for three posts about TCP congestion algorithms. Not tech support, no, but /g/ is always good to argue about routers.
>>
>>54369988
Oh? The piece of crap router-modem congealed failure that the ISP provides. We set it to be ONLY a modem to try and make sure all the hamsters powering the thing were dedicated to getting us fast internet. Nighthawk does all the DHCP and wireless. We only get 150Mbit download speeds here anyways so it wasn't too important, the nighthawk was mostly for home server and network usage logging, plus awesome wifi speeds.
>>
>>54369826
TP Link's Archer C7 fits the bill at a reasonable price. Can get it on Amazon for about 85 bucks. 1750mbps.
>>
>>54370159
>TP Link's Archer C7
Interesting. the page didn't list the specs for the processor. I wondered what they were hiding
~700 Mhz, single core. 128mib ram. Not bad but really not great.
>>
>>54370288
Oh, it's nothing to write home about, but it's capable of being pretty fast (so long as you make sure to update the firmware). I consider anything beyond the Archer C7 to be diminishing returns, unless a specific model happens to be on sale.

It'll get you where you want to go, and do it fast, but it's not bleeding edge or anything, so you get to save some coin.
>>
>>54370288
I have the Archer C7. It's a pretty solid router; no complaints. I imagine it will do the job for a good number of years, considering most home internet connections aren't anywhere close to that speed.

As for the modem, I can't help you. The cable company includes an Ariss DOCSIS 3 modem at no additional charge, so I could use my own, but the rate remains the same, so why bother?
>>
>>54370076
>only get 150Mbit
>only
Where do you live?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.