[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zip encryption
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 400x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 400x324
anons, can a zip file be encrypted such that it can be decrypted differently depending which password is given? I have an encrypted zip file for which the password will be provided one month from now. The idea is to prove that this person knows something now, without revealing what it is. If they can decrypt different content using different passwords, then it could be a scam. The data in the file will be public knowledge by the time the password is revealed. Is this a legit way to prove something or can it be gamed?
>>
nope
>>
yup
>>
>>54369358
>>54368849

Yes
>>
>>54368849
>f they can decrypt different content using different passwords, then it could be a scam.
I don't think that this is very good logic. If they have no access to the file before the data is revealed, and then they reveal that they had access to the information by giving you the password, then whether there are two passwords or not it doesn't matter.

What are you getting at, OP?
>>
File: l (1).jpg (22 KB, 393x400) Image search: [Google]
l (1).jpg
22 KB, 393x400
OP, just cut the password in half, you idiot. Encrypt it with 123456789X, and make sure that the files inside are organized accordingly. When they enter the first half, they only get half the files, etc.

Is everyone this goddamn ignorant of how .zip's work?
>>
>>54369385
With some encryption, like TrueCrypt, there is a plausible deniability feature where you can provide the real password and decrypt the real data, or you can provide a fake password which will decrypt dummy data allowing you to hopefully hide the real data. If you can encrypt a zip the same way, say with a dozen different passwords that produce a dozen different contents, then this could be a very convincing scam. They could have data in the file that says "Trump wins nomination", "Trump loses nomination", "Major earthquake", "Terrorist attack", and so on. Then a month from now they provide the password for whichever one of those happens between now and then. I don't think it's possible with zip files, but I don't know.
>>
>>54369484
Oh. That's what you mean. Yes, in that case it would be sketchy, but only in the case that the data is overly generic like the examples you give. If it was a verbatim article from a month ahead with multiple references to subtleties, that's a slightly different story.

It's actually now possible to put an encrypted container into anything, actually. zulucrypt just implemented it recently. Spooky stuff.
>>
>>54369863
Works out, since I didn't ask for tech support or consumer reviews. Thanks for your contribution.
>>
>>54369415
not sure what zipper you use, but mines cant even handle passwords for container opening, just for file opening, thus I can see every filename without a password
>>
>>54368849
Yes, but an expert can look at the zip file and will still be able to tell that there is unencrypted content.

Truecrypt volumes could "nest" on a hard drive in the way you want and still provide plausible deniablity. But since the last release of TC was ages ago, and it's still unclear whether its been compromised, I would recommend using it.
>>
>>54370734
*NOT using it.
>>
>>54369863
qq moar shitlord.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.